17' Series 2kW Generator that runs roof mounted A/C on 17.56?

Shano410

Nov 11, 2014
Hi all,
I'm planning a 3 month trip, leaving in a few weeks, and was wondering if anyone had feedback on Generator use and ability to run the A/C on a 2013 17.56 model van - roof top AC
I have done some investigation and size/weight i would like to get a 2000W model.
The best and most expensive appear to be the;
- Yamaha Ef2000is, and
- Honda eu2000ia
But are they capable of running the A/C ????
I have read some good things about the Lectron ec2000i, and price wise it is so much cheaper at about $600, but i'm scared it wont meet my needs.
All feedback welcome.
Cheers,
Shane

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
Hi @Shano410 . We've got the same roof mountedAC on a 2014 17.56 with a Honda Eu20i and it runs the zircon no problem. Just don't try and boil the kettle or turn the micro on at the same time. Cant comment on the other brands but the Honda is very well renowned and ours hasn't missed a beat.
Cheers
Cheyne

Reactions: Shano410

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Shano410 and welcome aboard. Our Kipor 2kW is a very compatible unit to Honda and Yamaha and runs our Ibis aircon fine. Ive run Kipors for years including one that gets a fearful flogging and hasnt missed a beat.

Where are you guys heading for 3 months. We need details and photos

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Our SuperCheap Black Ridge one works fine for ours. It says 1700 but it's actual peak is 1950kw so same as most 2kw ones. Has not missed a beat and have about 85hrs on it so far. Runs aircon, lights, etc no problems. In fact the heater uses more but it still copes till now.
Even runs the Microwave but not at same time of course.
We just bought ours when they had a 30% off store wide sale and only cost about $490 for it :)

Shano410

Nov 11, 2014
Hi @Shano410 and welcome aboard. Our Kipor 2kW is a very compatible unit to Honda and Yamaha and runs our Ibis aircon fine. Ive run Kipors for years including one that gets a fearful flogging and hasnt missed a beat.

Where are you guys heading for 3 months. We need details and photos

Thanks Crusty. Heading North West from Sydney; via dubbo/bourke/all the way to Mt Isa/Lawn Hill/Cape crawford/katherine/LNP/Darwin/Kakadu/Kununurra/ElQuestro/HomeValley/Lake Argyle/then down to Alice/WestMcDonnell ranges/kings Canyon/Uluru/down to cooper Pedy/across to FRNP and Wilpena/then hom ikley via the Murray.

Reactions: Crusty181

Shano410

Nov 11, 2014
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply's. Most helpful. I have been doing plenty of investigation, and there are many different opinions and options with sizes, but people who test them no best as above. What i have worked out is;
- best to use a short lead with higher Amp rating. Generator place sells 4m ones 20amp rating with 15amp plugs. $30
- turn all your gear off before plugging in and start the gene prior i.e no HWS & fridge (run this on gas), AC off, lights, even turn battery charging off just in case
- Honda say their's is best as it produces 3500W at startup; but this means don't be rude if you start it before you plug it in (which they suggest)
- Yamaha say their's is nest as it has larger CC engine
- Other from on the net try to sell you larger models.
- When people say your Truma 2400W on cooling is to large for a 2000W generator don't understand the basics. The 2400W is what it produces on cooling, but it is the Amps it draws that counts (i think 4.2 Amp). Based on my research a 2000W generator divided by 240V supply means just over 8 Amp capacity (simple maths), so it should don't be rude it in. Same goes for the wall mounted ones that are 2200W on cooling (and actually draw more Amps - around 6?); but should still work ...........as long as you have short lead (less voltage drop), and not other supply being drawn (use of Amps), then bob is your uncle.
- If the circuit breaker does trip, then i'm sure a smart electrician could replace it for one higher rated, or one with longer delay. I haven't checked this though (just a theory)

Hope this helps someone else.
Cheers,
Shano

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
I bought a Honda 2.0 to run our Heron air conditioner and unfortunately it will not run the air con. I contacted Heron and they advised that a Heron was never made to run on a Honda 2.0 generator. When the Heron initially starts it has a "locked rotor current of 18amps" and the Honda 2.0 cannot cope with this, even though once the air con was running the Honda 2.0 may cope with the power requirements

Heron 2.2 Split System Air Conditioner
Electrical rating: 240V,50hz
Nominal cooling capacity: 2.2kw
Nominal heating capacity: 1.5kw
Maximum rated current, cooling: 4.0A
Maximum rated current, heating: 6.5A
Locked rotor current: 18A
Inside Air Delivery, Maximum: 110l/s
Installed Weight: 36kg
Condensor Height: 245mm
Condensor Width: 462mm
condensor Depth: 450mm
Air Handler Height: 240mm
Air Handler Width: 380mm
Air Handler Depth: 250mm

Shano410

Nov 11, 2014
I tested the lectron 2000 on my 2.4 truma and on my mates 2.2 heron and worked fine; both heating and cooling. Tried the microwave at the same time and all good. Turned that off, and then tested the fridge at the same time and all good.
Key thing is to use short lead rated at 20amp

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I tested the lectron 2000 on my 2.4 truma and on my mates 2.2 heron and worked fine; both heating and cooling. Tried the microwave at the same time and all good. Turned that off, and then tested the fridge at the same time and all good.
Key thing is to use short lead rated at 20amp
Good tip that id never thought of. Thanks @Shano410. Ill have to test my Kipor with the other appliances and see how it copes

Reactions: mfexpanda