Toy Hauler 23.73-6 OB Basestation on Order...

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Just had a look at mine, If you removed the legs from the bottom beds and dropped them down to floor level, then dropped the top beds down 450mm you will have heaps of room to mount another bed above them and enough room for those beds to still fold up against the wall.
Then if make up a hinge like on the top of the jayco camper trailers doors and attach to the now top beds you could make them fold flat up against the roof. Just run some box tube across the roof between the bed supports and this will give you a good base to mount some latches to hold the beds up against the roof and make the whole system a bit stronger...did that make sense ?
Good thing is you can unbolt the bed supports off the wall do all your drilling, grinding, welding and painting, then bolt them back in again all done.

Reactions: Podstar

Podstar

Jul 14, 2015
Gippsland, Victoria
Thanks @davemc and @Crusty181 for your replies.

@davemc, yes, twin boys mate. I checked out the s/h Kingdom that has two sets of triples, thanks for that. It looks great however the issue is that we would like to, in an absolute ideal world, have an ensuite included as well as a washing machine, all whilst having the capacity to have 6 kids asleep relatively comfortably (I'll be a bit uncomfortable myself @ the front of the B/station as I'm 6 foot 4 inches).

@Crusty181, I rang a different Jayco dealer today with my question/request and they will hopefully get back to me soon. I totally understand having the walls reinforced, and possibly the roof, for us to achieve our ideal caravan, and we may eventually go down that path.

My wife did a lot of camping as a child and is apparently 'over it', hence the luxury 'want' of an ensuite, 8 internal beds & washing machine. You know what they say about what a 'happy wife' equals, lol.

We're finding our 'wants' a bit difficult to achieve reality at the moment, as expected, however we'll keep trying as we have time on our sides.....we're in no immediate rush, although we know 12 months will be here in no time.

Any other ideas would be massively appreciated, and I'll let you know how I go with the 'other' Jayco dealer.

Podstar

Podstar

Jul 14, 2015
Gippsland, Victoria
Thanks @ShaneT for going to the effort of checking out your van, greatly appreciated. Going off the internal height measurement of 1978mm, I reckon we could get away with a gap of approx 500mm between the top of each mattress (swags) and the underside of the next bed / ceiling above.

When you said "enough room for those beds to still fold up against the wall", did you mean all three beds?

I DON'T fully understand "then if make up a hinge like on the top of the jayco camper trailers doors and attach to the now top beds you could make them fold flat up against the roof".

I DO understand "just run some box tube across the roof between the bed supports and this will give you a good base to mount some latches to hold the beds up against the roof and make the whole system a bit stronger", I am just a bit puzzled on where the actual hinges will be located and exactly why.

I'm not too sure if the existing 'bed supports', without being strengthened within the walls, could handle the weight of 3 growing children (kids - teenagers - young adults....judging by their height now, we will have above average kids in height / length). What are your thoughts? - our plan is to hang onto the van until the kids leave home, however, anything could happen in the future.

Any heads up would be appreciated, thanks

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@Podstar yeah I understand you even with 4 kids (where all boys :) ) unless we want a pair to share a Expanda bed it is custom or a Basestation.
My wife is not 100% sure she wants to sleep in a Expanda bed hence we still looking. Unless I can talk her around :)
You could look at the big Expanda 20.64-1 as well? Maybe 3 little ones on the rear bed and triple bunks?
Then drop the dinette later on... Or move the eldest into a annex. Bikes on the back with a custom drop down or on the roof rack.. its all a compromise :(

Also depends how big you want to go if you can do a bigger you could look at the big one Elite has do triple bunks or get someone to make you one
http://www.elitecaravans.com.au/caravan-family.php

We seen a few quad bunks like that Kingdom although no ensuite. A few mentioned to do a bunk over the dinette for us which does not help you at all sorry :)

Reactions: Podstar

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Podstar . I have the 21-64 (which appears to be a collectors item already). If you could find a triple bunk one then that may suit you, as you could then convert the table on the club lounge into another bed. This would still give you the ensuite, and the front cupboard for a machine. Otherwise, the removal of the ensuite and installation of another set of bunks would also give you enough bedding.
We customised our van by removing the ensuite and installing extra cupboards. It has given us enough room to put a single mattress on the floor if necessary. (However I saw you want the ensuite so isn't the best option.)
I have seen base stations with a tent like awning around the tail gate bit. You could buy a set of camping bunks and place them on that bit. Although it would require extra set up of the tent section.
Good luck with your search. I really hope you find something that suits you and your family. (As we have now done)

Reactions: Podstar and dagree

Bretto

Jun 18, 2015
Gracemere, QLD
www.myswag.org
Signed off on the build yesterday. Should come off the line early September. We can't wait!

Just have to delete the 3/4 robe as that were the wheel clamp will be fitted.

BS1.png
BS2.png

Bretto

Jun 18, 2015
Gracemere, QLD
www.myswag.org
Hey Guys,

Been slow to update here... Busy playing with "Bertha" the Basestation. Had a great delivery from Warburtons in Bundaberg. Great service which is nice for a change.

We have already done a 2000km trip around the South East with only a few minor issues that have been fix at the 1st service. Slowly getting used to the size of this thing as they are huge!!!

Anyway here are some pics after picking Bertha up.

View media item 141
View media item 142
View media item 143
View media item 144
View media item 145
View media item 146