2019 models

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
What ever happened to going on a holiday to get away from the world. Isn't that the point?
nope mobile house on wheels now.. OK a lot are nicer then our place and that was before the kids destroyed it he he
What you need is enough solar and lithium batteries to run your air cond and espresso machine.
Prices getting crazy now too.. $67k starting for a 22.68. I think extra $1k triple bunk etc
Be why I seen them sell $50k plus s/h now. They gone up like $15k in 3 years

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
We have been to the Camping show for only the last three years. It is amazing that in that very short time, how the balance has swung heavily from touring models to off road models. Another big change has been from tents and swags to off road camping trailers. Then there is the explosion in the number and variety of Motor Homes and Camper Vans.
Saw a glimpse of the future with a Cummins generator installed in the side of one van.
And yes, the prices have shot up to cover the costs of the heavy and more complex off road builds, solar, batteries, showers, toilets, washing machines, external kitchen, inverters etc. It is not hard to find vans selling for 80k and over. It is also hard to find a camping trailer that costs less than a new touring Penguin which is now about $22k.
I wonder how many off road vans are being bought with the dream of doing the lap, but will seldom get off the tar or seldom set up off-grid or away from a Big 4?
Have we been tempted to upgrade from the Penguin. Absolutely not! In fact we are now even more convinced we made the right choice for us.

But it is fun to explore all the other options available and weigh them off. But once a year will be more than enough!

cheers
Mike

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Great you are happy with what you have Mike and so am I. I keep looking at new vans and wondering how they are going to be towed at the weight they are. That is before you load it!!! Keep enjoying the Penguin, although it seems to have been a while since I read a trip report from you. Have you been away lately?

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Great you are happy with what you have Mike and so am I. I keep looking at new vans and wondering how they are going to be towed at the weight they are. That is before you load it!!! Keep enjoying the Penguin, although it seems to have been a while since I read a trip report from you. Have you been away lately?
Good that you are also enjoying your setup. There is certainly no one size fits all.
I have been slack with trip reports and I should make more of an effort to write up the end result of all the discussion that goes on with members in this forum that have enabled us to have such successful camping trips.
Yes, we have been away regularly. Averaging 100 nights per year.
The major change has been that my partner retired at the end of last year. She was a music teacher, so trips had to be on weekends, long weekends, or school holidays. Also meant that the most time we had was over the long hot summer.
All that has changed now we are both retired. We will now avoid camping on weekends, never on long weekends, and avoid any hot periods in summer.
That means, our ideal plan is to head off Sunday and return Friday. Then plan longer trips spanning two weeks which will allow us to get further out from Melbourne.
Last trips have been to Meredith Park at Lake Colac, Marley Point on Lake Wellington, Warburtons Bridge near Vaughan Springs, and last week, at Ninety Mile beach in East Gippsland. It is certainly much quieter during the week and it is great to have three or four full days between setting up and packing down.

take care
Mike