Starcraft 2018 Starcraft 17.58-3 Outback

Nathan17

Nov 23, 2017
Western Australia
G’day Everyone,

Just joined the forum and have recently ordered a new 2018 Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3 Outback. Unfortunately I have to wait until February/March 2018 for delivery but the good news is that it will be plated a 2018 model.

I upgraded the van with:
Fibreglass walls
Extended Drawbar
Rear bike rack
Roof Mounted Air Con
Dining table bed convert
Drifta Control Panel
160W Solar upgrade
External Table

Looking forward to picking up our new van, first time towing something this big, we are upgrading from a soft floor camper trailer.

Wondering whether anyone out there had any tips/tricks for first time van owners, particularly whether there is anything else to add to the van that other’s have found helpful before being locked into the production line.
I have been tossing up whether to upgrade the fridge size, given we have the roof mounted air con. What do others think of this, is the upgrade worth the additional $894?

At the moment it’s the two of us and our 6 month old and hopefully another one next year. At the moment we have a Toyota Prado 150 as the tow vehicle.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @Nathan17 from another west aussie
who was your sales rep at Caravanland?

ohhhhh, like @chartrock said - how deep are your pockets?????

yes I would go the biggest fridge you can get
get as many power points as you can think of - kitchen area, bed end, dining area - you get the idea
phone / laptop / tablet / camera chargers, kettles, elect frying pans, bread maker (?) all need power points
even a couple outside near your external table
as well as a couple of 12V points near the table, and beds (again - phone charger, tablet, laptop etc)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Reactions: Nathan17

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Congrats.. Nice van..

Did you check that it was not already a Journey by then they are changing names? Some of your extras could now be free :)
Not much info around online the dealer should hopefully know more..

upload_2017-11-24_8-34-34.png

Reactions: bigcol

Tripper

May 13, 2017
Moranbah
Hi Nathan17,
We are also going to order this model in the 2018 model, so now called the Journey.
We were advised by the dealer that the 2018 models are looking like fibreglass sides and the rooftop A/C are now standard features. Would be worth getting your dealer to double check this so you are not paying extra for them.
Don't forget the picks when you take delivery as yours will be one of the first.

MickB

Nov 24, 2017
Newcastle
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum as well (Hi Nathan) and it's been great reading everyones thoughts on different topics especially relating to the StarCraft range.
We're looking at buying a new 2017 StarCraft 17.58-3 Outback. Either buying one already at a dealer or one that's coming off the line.
Now that I've read this thread does anyone know yet what the base price will be for a 17.58-3 Journey Outback so that if I try and do a deal I'll know if it's good value or not? Same as the base price of $45094 for the current 2017 17.58-3 StarCraft Outback maybe?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Nathan17

Nov 23, 2017
Western Australia
Thanks everyone for your replies.

@bigcol I have been dealing with Glenn from Caravanland here in Perth. Thanks for the tips on the power outlets. I have requested the plans from the dealer to see what's included and then I'll go about adding some more around the place. Also, thanks for adding those threads, give me something to look through and plan some mods when we take ownership!

@davemc @Tripper I wasn't aware of this change in model until now. I contacted the dealer this morning to discuss it, they are naturally a little hesitant to confirm anything as they are waiting for Jayco to officially release the details. I have however been promised that if there is an upgrade/change, our van will be built as such. The dealer did however let slip that there are likely price rises associated with the change, I'm glad now I specified and locked in 2017 prices. Some of those optional extra's with the Journey look tempting though, can't wait to get the full details and option it out again.

Nathan17

Nov 23, 2017
Western Australia
Hi guys,
I also ordered the same model for March 18 delivery. No mention of name change to us. Though the deal did include the smooth walls for free. Interesting!

@Lensim Same here, no mention regarding this rumoured change. When I spoke with the dealer this morning, they did suspect there were going to be changes throughout all their caravan range, they just weren't in a position to comment or confirm any details.
Definitely going to have watch this space for any changes. It'd be great to end up with a Journey spec'd bunk model.

MickB

Nov 24, 2017
Newcastle
Hi Guys,
Ended up ordering the same model as well for Feb 18 delivery.
I got told the same about pricing possibly going up and that they would honour 2017 prices for new orders.
I'm happy with that. Just a question for people ordering new vans, did any notice there is a Jayco Australia promotion
on facebook for new orders where they're offering free Alko ESC? Did anybody get it thrown in? I just noticed it tonight.
2 year warranty not bad also!

Attachments

• IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 453
  • esc.JPG
    esc.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 477

MickB

Nov 24, 2017
Newcastle
I'm a new member @bigcol but I was happy to stumble across @Nathan17 thread because it helped me out a bit.
We've decided the old 95 Windsor Sunchaser is getting a bit long in the tooth. I've done a bit of homework over
the last couple of months on the Starcraft 17.58-3 but it all got thrown up in the air a bit with this 2018 naming change.
I was also considering the Goldstream 1800 Bunk ST but too expensive for us.
I'm still not sure if they've just maintained the exact same Starcraft layouts and specs but dropped the name and replaced it
with the Journey name only or whether they've brought the StarCraft layouts into the premium Journey range???
ie. possibly better materials and hinges/latches
Dealer wasn't too sure either but not their fault they're only just getting told all this from Jayco in the last day or two.

The options I ordered are -

Fibreglass walls (which is now standard anyway)
Truma roof air (which is now standard anyway)
Larger fridge (not sure if this is now standard or still considered an upgrade?)
TV/DVD/Wyngaurd/Stereo (show special - not sure what that means)
External shower
Picnic table
Bike rack
Drifter Control panel

Would love to get a few more options but I would like to stick to our budget and also because we have a Prado
150 I don't want to eat into the Tare too much and reduce the payload we can add before we get to ATM 2500kgs.

Looking forward to Feb though!

Reactions: G Daddy and bigcol

Nathan17

Nov 23, 2017
Western Australia
Hi Guys,
Ended up ordering the same model as well for Feb 18 delivery.
I got told the same about pricing possibly going up and that they would honour 2017 prices for new orders.
I'm happy with that. Just a question for people ordering new vans, did any notice there is a Jayco Australia promotion
on facebook for new orders where they're offering free Alko ESC? Did anybody get it thrown in? I just noticed it tonight.
2 year warranty not bad also!

I actually got the dealer to add the fixed 2017 prices into the contract prior to signing. I read the fine print on the rear and it appears that if prices vary before delivery I think it was up to 5 - 10% of that price change is placed on the customer to pay.

Further, I wasn't aware on any ESC deals or promotions etc. When I organised my purchase I requested a quote for the items I wanted and then offered $2000 under the quoted amount. They rang back within the hour and accepted (maybe I should have gone lower). It appears there is plenty of wriggle room in the listed prices.

Rohan61

Dec 6, 2017
Canberra
G’day Everyone,

Just joined the forum and have recently ordered a new 2018 Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3 Outback. Unfortunately I have to wait until February/March 2018 for delivery but the good news is that it will be plated a 2018 model.

I upgraded the van with:
Fibreglass walls
Extended Drawbar
Rear bike rack
Roof Mounted Air Con
Dining table bed convert
Drifta Control Panel
160W Solar upgrade
External Table

Looking forward to picking up our new van, first time towing something this big, we are upgrading from a soft floor camper trailer.

Wondering whether anyone out there had any tips/tricks for first time van owners, particularly whether there is anything else to add to the van that other’s have found helpful before being locked into the production line.
I have been tossing up whether to upgrade the fridge size, given we have the roof mounted air con. What do others think of this, is the upgrade worth the additional $894?

At the moment it’s the two of us and our 6 month old and hopefully another one next year. At the moment we have a Toyota Prado 150 as the tow vehicle.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan.
Congratulations on your purchase. I took delivery of a 16.67-5 OB 18 months back with similar options as you have chosen. For what it's worth here are my thoughts on the options I got after 3 months on the road.
Roof mounter A/C - disappointing cooling and heating performance and very noisy. For example 39 ambient temperature at William Creek, could not get van temp below 29. I would not bother with the additional expense if buying again unless you really need the cupboard space taken be the standard Herron offering.
Extended Drawbar - the van tracks and tows very well and has allowed me to install a storage box for the webber. Downside is it is less maneuverable.
Rear Bike Rack - only problem here is the bikes are quite high off the ground. I need to carry a step ladder to get them on and off. I would buy good quality folding bikes as an alternative next time.

Options you may wish to consider if you are still able:
bigger fridge
16 inch wheels
load capacity upgrade on compliance plate