16' Series 2016 Cupboard Door Handles Breaking

kayg

Dec 3, 2013
Woodcroft, SA
A word of warning on the new metal handles. We bought a new Starcraft which has the new metal handles. Much stronger, but, we had a drawer which wouldn't open. Turned out that the pin which screws into the metal handle to operate the latch was loose and fell out. I checked all the others in the van and most were not even finger tight! I bought some loctite and fixed them all in with pliers. No problems since.

Ray Jones

Aug 12, 2017
Wallan, Victoria
Yes Loctite and pliers are your friends to secure the pin.
I note the man at the dealer likewise recommended a spot of super glue, but Loctite gives you much better working time, and not likely to glue your fingers together.

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Ours were all fixed under warranty at Jayco Sydney.

Stupid bean counters at Jayco need to splash out on decent sized screws. I reckon it's a cost cutting measure, putting smaller, cheaper screws on the handles that, with the force required to pull the handle, the thread strips and screw falls out. When one of ours broke I grabbed a screwdriver and checked all the others, most were stripped.

The van was going back for a toilet flushing problem, so I asked for the screws to be replaced while it was there. Which, to their credit they did

Reactions: G Daddy
Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
We've had some issues with the original ones, so recently we asked for them all to be replaced. This is going to be done under warranty, so props to Jayco for that. I just cannot understand why they didn't install decent ones in the first place - now they have the original cost, the new ones and the fitment of the new ones on their costs ...

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
We had two of our handles drop the pin out over the long weekend . One was to the food cupboard first day that doesn't have any other openings..:doh:...... I ended up drilling a hole straight though the handle where the pin screws into so I could use a drill bit to open the cupboard .
image.jpeg

I just got away with it:amen: (I'll move the handle to under the fridge so ya never see it)
The other was a drawer luckily , so I was able to take the drawer above it out to access the catch this meaning I didn't have to butcher it:D
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Needless to say I took each and every handle off to tighten up the pin in the handles.

Brian Sims

Nov 1, 2019
Port Hughes
Yes, the levers are VERY flimsy and have broken a couple. Getting them off is the biggest challenge if you can't access it through another door. My solution is to pull the handle apart, superglue and needle pliers to get the broken piece together (take the pin out, 1drop, replace, and quickly squeeze) , and then a little araldite to increase strength around the lever. I have done this to all the rest and have had no problems since