16' Series 2016 Cupboard Door Handles Breaking

Hadaja

Sep 1, 2014
Hey my 3 x month old Expanda has busted its cupboard door handle. I am told this is a common problem.
Does anyone else have this problem? And what options are people getting to fix this imperfection?
Kind of a hassle when you have stuff stuck in the cupboard that you want.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 1,508
Reactions: MeganJ

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
They are different to my handle type but I'd phone your dealer. They can probably put a replacement on easily enough. My hubby broke the little thing that you slide over when the roof pops up (forgot to turn it and pushed the roof up snapping it off). But that was more his stupidity rather than a Jayco fault (although why they have such a small flimsey turn piece I'll never know as it works fine without it). Goodluck, hope you manage to get your items out soon!

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Yes I noticed that there was a broken handle on the demo model in the yard prior to ordering. Even though these new handles probably look better, my thoughts were that the previous version of handle that you have to push in first to open may be more durable.

Reactions: bigcol

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
One of our handles broke at hand over on our 16.49-3 in July. We were pretty peeved as when we ordered (in feb) there was no mention of a change from the push in knobs. When we inspected the various vans before deciding to purchase i mentioned to my wife that i disliked the flimsy handles in the other brands and now we have them anyway. After bringing it up with Jayco we have been told "sorry, we cant retrofit the old ones either". I think its more "wont" than "cant" however.
Andin my opinion the knobs looked better as well!
Very frustrating.....

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

MeganJ

Jan 27, 2016
Adelaide
I just came on here to post the same problem. Just got back from our second trip in our 4 month old expanda and have 1 broken handle and 1 with a screw falling out that won't screw back in tightly just keeps turning. We used a flat knife to lever the stuck cupboard open and then removed the bottom part of the lock. The cupboard now opens and stays closed even while traveling as the hinges are so strong. In my opinion this is why the handles are breaking... They are flimsy plastic and the hinges are so heavy duty on those top cupboards causing the handles to break when you open them. I think I'll be calling our dealer on Monday.. I too prefer the old push button ones as they are made from steel...

Nicole Taylor

Sep 26, 2016
Victoria
One of our handles broke at hand over on our 16.49-3 in July. We were pretty peeved as when we ordered (in feb) there was no mention of a change from the push in knobs. When we inspected the various vans before deciding to purchase i mentioned to my wife that i disliked the flimsy handles in the other brands and now we have them anyway. After bringing it up with Jayco we have been told "sorry, we cant retrofit the old ones either". I think its more "wont" than "cant" however.
Andin my opinion the knobs looked better as well!
Very frustrating.....
We have also purchased a new jayco expanda and have had 4 faulty handles its so frustrating when you need stuff out, and to think you pay all that money to have a nice new van. not happy.

Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
For those that are interested, pricing for replacement handles and buttons from Jayco in Sydney :

- Handles ($16.20 - Front, $1.60 - Back)
- Buttons ($8.20 - Front, $5,90 - Back)

Reactions: dagree

MeganJ

Jan 27, 2016
Adelaide
For those that are interested, pricing for replacement handles and buttons from Jayco in Sydney :

- Handles ($16.20 - Front, $1.60 - Back)
- Buttons ($8.20 - Front, $5,90 - Back)

So they aren't covering them under warranty? Do we have to buy new ones if they break?

Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
@MeganJ couldn't comment on that as we don't have our van yet (arrives November). We asked what replacements would cost (as we had seen a few examples where the handles had snapped off). I am thinking of grabbing a handful of both, if they've changed them out from the buttons - there is a big chance they'll change them again and I don't want to be stuck unable to get spares ...

Reactions: bigcol and MeganJ

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
They are covering the journey ones, I've read from a lot of people that are traveling that they just ring up and tell them how many are broken and they get mailed out.

Reactions: MeganJ and Delano

Hadaja

Sep 1, 2014
Yes I have had about 5 x broken now and we are back to one of the 1st ones that was replaced needing replacing again. I emailed Chris Robinson from Jayco about this last year and received no resolution but just keep getting them replaced. Does this seem reasonable?

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
Wow. When i was at the Sydney caravan show, i noticed how flimsy they were. I have the push button ones thank god.
The other cheap thing worth having in your spare parts bin are the pop top bows that pulls the poptop walls in when the lid is closed.

Only $1.50 in the spare parts and the fatigue over time.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Wow. When i was at the Sydney caravan show, i noticed how flimsy they were. I have the push button ones thank god.
The other cheap thing worth having in your spare parts bin are the pop top bows that pulls the poptop walls in when the lid is closed.

Only $1.50 in the spare parts and the fatigue over time.

Ok i know i am not a handy man and have most probably seen them, but what are 'pop top bows' ?

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
they are in pockets sewn into the vinyl poptop sides on the inside of the van.
When you drop the top, they pull the vinyl into the van instead of it falling out.
Basically they are plastic strips connected to both ends with elastic bands.
i would have 3-4 on each long side and 2 on the front back.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
they are in pockets sewn into the vinyl poptop sides on the inside of the van.
When you drop the top, they pull the vinyl into the van instead of it falling out.
Basically they are plastic strips connected to both ends with elastic bands.
i would have 3-4 on each long side and 2 on the front back.

Ok that makes sense and I know exactly what you are talking about. Not sure I would have ever thought about carrying spares of these.

Ray Jones

Aug 12, 2017
Wallan, Victoria
Had 3 plastic handles fail on the inaugural trip, van was new so requested all be replaced with new metal handles under warranty.
Done, no problems.
The plastic ones could actually be beefed up by adding a metal ring about the boss that the lever screws into (before it fractures), but it's an obvious manufacturing defect.
Shame I can't count and still have two plastic handles on doors that will see little use, have about 10 spares now though :)

Reactions: Lozza T