Starcraft 2016 17.58.3 Anyone ordered one yet?

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
So we took an early morning family trip to the local Jayco dealer to check out what was left in the sale that ends today. I have had my eye on either a 17.56.2 or 17.58.3. Anyway, after much discussion between ourselves and the salesman we have settled on ordering a new model 17.58.3 with a dinette conversion to accomodate our 3rd child. (There was much debate between husband and I on whether the ensuite was necessary beforehand let me tell you!). Has anyone else ordered this model yet? We were told there aren't any changes to the interior as such and the price difference is only about $500 rather than the 7% Expanda price hike which I personally think is ridiculous. Also, does anyone have this model with 3+ kids and how do you find it. I am happy with our decision on model and know we can make it work. It is much closer to what I was wanting from a caravan, even though I do like the Expandas. We haven't ordered it yet, am leaving that in the hands of hubbie, but am excited we will be starting our caravanning journey sometime this year :bounce:

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Good on you!

I was wondering how you were going when I saw the Jayco sale ad but decided against contacting you in the interests of your bank balance.

You can make lots of plans, lists diagrams etc.

Did you get floor stock or do you have the dreaded wait?

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Good on you!

I was wondering how you were going when I saw the Jayco sale ad but decided against contacting you in the interests of your bank balance.

You can make lots of plans, lists diagrams etc.

Did you get floor stock or do you have the dreaded wait?

Ha ha I don't worry about the bank balance, that is my husband's job. But he has been making me wait. We went with the intention of buying floor stock if we found what we were looking for but even the sales guy said we are better off ordering a new model with the Starcraft as there wasn't much of a price difference and the ones in the yard are looking a little battered (I have been there 3 times now over the past few months and I am pretty sure they are the same ones that have been there for a while). As school goes back next week I actually don't mind the wait time now (I know, shock horror says miss-usually-impatiant). Plus we have just finished our front yard and I want to enjoy the size for a bit before we park a caravan in it :D

caax

Oct 10, 2015
Wollongong
I'll be following closely with interest as we're looking to up size to a 17 also.17.56.2 expanda or the Starcraft undecided

I do like the standard family debate of what to get, ensuite or not to ensuite that is the question?
I've asked the question on here recently and with young-ish kids (10&9) i think it wouldn't hurt going with the ensuite option.
Those long drives or midnight emergency without having to leave the van is where the ensuites have a upper hand.

Ask the dealership to ring around another dealer may have what your after in stock.

PS- YA for school! :)

Last edited:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We have one coming off the line in a few weeks. We only have 2 kids and upgrading from a 17-56-1. I am not a fan of converting the table but if it works for you that's fine. Definitely more sleeping room in the expanda for 5 people. Interested to see how you go.

Last edited:

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
17-58.3 is a van on our radar. Wife and I have all ready spoken about getting rid of the 17-56.2, keeping our annexe/ cubby and having it mated to suit 17-58.3.

Be watching those options and mods in earnest. Pace.

Reactions: FiveInAVan

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
I'll be following closely with interest as we're looking to up size to a 17 also.17.56.2 expanda or the Starcraft undecided

I do like the standard family debate of what to get, ensuite or not to ensuite that is the question?
I've asked the question on here recently and with young-ish kids (10&9) i think it wouldn't hurt going with the ensuite option.
Those long drives or midnight emergency without having to leave the van is where the ensuites have a upper hand.

Ask the dealership to ring around another dealer may have what your after in stock.

PS- YA for school! :)

I have debated it too for a while, including on here, and the sales guy said 95% of vans they sell are with an ensuite these days. Going to the toilet in the middle of the night was the one thing I didn't like on our motorhome trip so adding a toddler to the mix of our family now an ensuite is essential on my list now. Plus I am thinking resale value will be better down the track.
The Starcraft 17.58.3 they had in stock would have suited us fine but we decided with not much of a price hike we will order a new 2016 one. The floor stock was looking a little battered.

Last edited:
Reactions: caax

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We have one coming off the line in a few weeks. We only had 2 kids and upgrading from a 17-56-1. I am not a fan of converting the table but if it works for you that's fine. Definitely more sleeping room in the expanda for 5 people. Interested to see how you go.

Ooh exciting, will follow your posts closely! The Starcraft is definitely smaller than I would like and will be interesting if we get rained in but I think we can make it work. We are more outdoor people anyway so we cook and eat outdoors so converting the table shouldn't be a huge issue as we'll leave it converted and the kids can sit on the beds when inside. I would rather convert the dinette than go without an ensuite. The 17.56.2 was high on my choice due to the extra space/beds but I wasn't sold on the canvas bed ends and having to set it up everytime.

Reactions: WHHEMI and 17triton

Paydirt

Jan 17, 2016
Ipswich
Funnily enough we are in the exact same boat as you. We were at Jayco (Camperland) the week before you, have been looking for a month or two. Originally we had the idea that we wanted a Expanda 17.56-2 OB and never really considered the Starcraft. However after looking through the Jayco dealer we saw the triple bunk 17.58-1. We were pretty happy with the layout and the price. Then discovered the -3 with the toilet and shower, with the exception of a 3rd bunk. We too have 3 small children, 4, 6, and 8 and thought that the trade off was fine and we'll use the table as another bed. Yes the Expanda has more room and more offering, however, the Starcraft weighs less and has less time to set up. Also the savings in price can be put towards other things. We were almost going to sign a deal on a Feb delivered van they have coming, however, it doesn't have a few features we would like, and they weren't willing to dealer fit them. External shower, bike rack. We also want to get the extended drawbar. I've rung around a few dealers within Qld and NSW and have got pretty good prices so will be just a matter of seeing if I need to travel for the best deal or buy here in Brisbane if they can match another dealer.

Reactions: FiveInAVan and caax