2012 or 2013 17-56-2OB

Bill3660

Nov 18, 2012
Hi everyone, once again I am one of those who have stalked the forum for over 12 months. Our family has decided to take the leap to a new expanda 17-56-2. I am putting my quandary out there for some comment I am really struggling to make a decision. We had settled on a 17-56-2 and have been talking with a dealer and have found them really helpful, but he called me on Friday to let me know that they have a stock expanda that is available at around the money we are happy to spend, the expanda has
Awning
Heron 2.2 air
Simplicity independent suspension
Privacy screens
Wind up TV antenna
150lt fridge
HWS – gas & elec., internal shwr & toilet and external shwr

Colours:
Laminex – greige
B’rest cushion – java vintage
Seat cushion – eternity vintage
Floor vinyl – bamboo timber

Which is all good the only option I was unsure of is the simplicity suspension - which on reviewing the forum I am still a little unsure but it sure does help for re sale I think.

On the other hand we were looking to order a 2013 that we can have it delivered in the first week of March with the same configuration minus the simplicity suspension. The dealer is quoting the 2012 the same price as if we order the 2013 so put simply the simplicity suspension is a freebie if we take the 2012 model.
I feel that we are ski boat enthusiasts and will get a lot of use over the summer months this year if we take the 2012 - so do we wait and get a 2013 or take the 2012 and hit the road this summer???
Any help or comment would be much appreciated.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Welcome Bill,
Take the 2012, but make sure you try and get a Annexe, weight distribution, electric brakes for your tug. That's for taking his floor stock, which would've been reduced by Jan 31st,2013. Don't be fooled by the suspension (even though it does cost a few grand) but then your only getting a Heron Air Con and not a roof top air too. The Heron works fine though.Hope you haggle well.
Cheers Deano

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Not being an OB owner, I thought the Simplicity suspension would be a good option and a good re sale thing. The 150L fridge is a great option also. Crunch them for extra options and see how you go. I saw one at page bros, they do sit pretty high so make sure your car is suitable. It depends on price, if the price is right then buy it. Sounds like a cancelled order to me.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Bill3660, welcome mate, like maccayak said if the height os ok for your tug and your happy with bench and fabric colours and also aircon then do it and have fun this summer!

Cheers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome Bill.
2012 sounds good. But like the others said, bargain hard on the price or see what other options they can throw in that are not factory delivered but rather dealer installed.

Bill3660

Nov 18, 2012
Thanks for all the quick replies - My feelings are to haggle on the 2012 as I can get it for this summer ( I did think I was talking myself into it) - but I wondered about buying a van that is 1 year old (plated) only after a couple of months. Also with the 2013 expanda checker plate changing to black I wondered if it maight depriciate more quickly than the 2013.
If I call the dealer on Monday and try for some dealer fitted options to be added - any ideas ?

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
The 2012 sounds like a good deal to me Bill.

I like the simplicity suspension on my van, it travels really nice behind the car.

Either way you will be happy, but the 2012 will allow you to enjoy it during the summer holidays.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Mate the 2012 sounds like a good buy. In regards to depreciation, how long are you going to hold the van for? From what I have worked out they appear to only lose a couple grand each year and the suspension on the 12 will help it hold a bit of value. Also, at around the 6/7 year old mark, the seem to have their highest drop in price. In saying that, there always seems to be demand for Jaycos. :)

I would call around some other dealers - as far as you are willing to travel and see what options they have. Play one of against the other. We drove to Mildura from Brisbane as we saved nearly 7k over the brisbane dealers best price.

Big bonus is getting it for this summer! woohoo

Ants

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Gas bayonet fitting (I think is fitted at dealer)

Nope...........factory fitted.

I'd ask for Annex Walls to the awning plus a battery (or 2).

Don't worry about the Heron Aircon. We have one and it works fine. It just takes up a bit of room.

150 l fridge is what they should fit as standard to a van this size IMO. We have it and I wouldn't like to have the 90 l.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Get the 2012!!!

Our van was built in July / August this year and we pickup in December....

The biggest benefit is you don't have to wait 4 months!!!

Haggle on the price, get yourself a good day and use it this season happy days!

P.s The simplicity is worth a bit of $$$ so a good little upgrade / benefit of getting the 2012 model now.

If it was me I would be in the van already :) if I was in your position...

Bill3660

Nov 18, 2012
Well Thanks for all the helpful advice- We just paid our deposit on a 17-56-2 OB. I did the ring around as suggested and found a stock Van at Bendigo. The leisure fest show is on there this weekend and with some negotiating we got what I think was a really good deal. The van has awning, heron air, cd and speakers, control panel and the big thing was the 255 fridge, as we are a family of 6. I am sure there are many things that I will need to organise or buy as this was the stock van but my head is spinning at the moment so any ideas on essentials would also be appreciated. I will head over to the show this weekend and look for an annexe - I have been madly reading all the posts today about prices and quality etc. so will be interested to see what’s at the show.
On another note has anyone out there used a Volvo XC90 as a tow vehicle??

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Congrats Bill on the new purchase.
As cruza driver said, I did have a Volvo XC90, a V8 one.
I never towed my van with it though. I have a boat that weighs just on 2000kg and it towed it well, if just a little slow at times.

You'll need to be very careful with one as they have a max tow rating of 2250kg. My 17.56-2 has an ATM of 2349kg, so legally it couldn't tow my van.
You'll also need to find the max towball rating for the Volvo, as a family of 6 with that weight in the car the allowable towball limit will be reduced too.

Good luck.