2011 Expanda outback 16.49-1 or 1b set up??? Advice please...

ChantalB

Jan 10, 2012
Erina,Central Coast NSW
Hi everyone,

What a great forum! We are looking at purchasing a 2011 expanda outback 16.49-1 and are just having problems deciding whether to go for the l shaped seating (16.49-1) or cafe dinette seating 16.49-1B.

We are a family of 5 - 3 children aged 5,2 and 7 months. We can see pros and cons to each set up, the only thing that concerns me with the dinette setup is that's we would be too cramped around the table and would need to put a chair on the end anyway. But I like the "lounging" factor of the l shaped. Would love to hear from anyone with any advice - maybe someone who had had both and what their preference is.

Thanks for any comments
Chantal

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
when we were buying our 69-49-3 we also had the option of the l shaped lounge or dinette
we chose the dinette for 3 reasons
with the dinette you get extra cupboards with somewhere to put the tv
we didnt want to climb over the lounge to get into bed
and last reason we never eat inside anyway.even if its raining we sit under the awning.
cheers jim-tab and diamond

Reactions: ChantalB

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Chantal,
We have the 1b version and we are a family of 6. 15 months, 10,11 and 13 plus 2 adults.
We manage to squeeze around the table with an extra camp chair and a high chair for the little tacker. it works well.
But after that, the older three are out of there. They prefer the space and privacy of their tents once meals are done.
Brad

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We also went with the cafe dinette for the same reason, not wanting to climb over the couch to acess the bed.

Another thing we felt was with the ''L'' shaped set up the van felt a bit more cramped with less open floor space,as you can only turn right to enter the van if that makes sense. Particularly if someone is trying to get out of the van and someone is trying to get in.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
You may also be interested in the removable jail that we built for the baby.
IMG1751-M.jpg
IMG1750-M.jpg

ChantalB

Jan 10, 2012
Erina,Central Coast NSW
Hi Chantal,
We have the 1b version and we are a family of 6. 15 months, 10,11 and 13 plus 2 adults.
We manage to squeeze around the table with an extra camp chair and a high chair for the little tacker. it works well.
But after that, the older three are out of there. They prefer the space and privacy of their tents once meals are done.
Brad

Thx Brad - well if you can all fit around the table, I'd say we can too! By the way love the baby "jail" what a great idea. May need to copy or use it to lock ourselves away from the kids lol

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
We have ordered the 16:49:3 B opted for the Dinette for the Extra Cupboard Space and not having to climb over the lounge to get to bed but in saying that I don't think the Inside table will get too much use unless the weather is nasty!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Just to be different we have the l shaped lounge. Love the ability to lounge back and all 5 of us fit really well. We dine outside mostly in Summer but when the weather turns or we are cold camping we find the ability to lounge around inside great. The dinette model just didn't work for us. With the TV above the cupboard 5 can lounge back and all watch a movie. It's the same reason we discounted the 17.56-2 no lounge model, even tried to get Jayco to do a special. The climbing over the lounge is a pain but I sleep down the other end so it doesnt worry me and the new drop tables are better. This is our second lounge model 16:49-3

My advise is just all sit in both at the dealership for as long as it takes, you will find the one that suits you. Good luck.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi Chantal - we have 16.49-3OB and the dinette arrangement - agree with other comments above. Just my wife and myself (children flown the coop!) and set up is perfect for us - table is a great size and room for 4 adults - though we sit outside as much as possible as well.
We are located in Narara - send me a PM if you want to see our setup sometime.

Cheers

Bill

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
We got the dinette with 2 teenage works well for us. The extra cupboard and TV space is great!!! Keep in mind with the "L" Shape the table "foot/stand" is bolted to the floor, so even if you opt to remove the table and use it as a lounge area to watch TV you still have these big things on the floor to knock your feet against and trip over.:shocked:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We got the dinette with 2 teenage works well for us. The extra cupboard and TV space is great!!! Keep in mind with the "L" Shape the table "foot/stand" is bolted to the floor, so even if you opt to remove the table and use it as a lounge area to watch TV you still have these big things on the floor to knock your feet against and trip over.:shocked:

unless you choose to simply unscrew them with the sigle loop bolt they have inside them takes like 30 seconds :shocked: then all you have is two small holes in the floor as the captive nut is screwed under the van.

But to be honest with he new drop side table and the whole van width you can lounge pretty well and don't need to remove the table. Iam 6ft 1" 100kg and happily lounge the fixed side of the table.

Also if your kids are smaller and struggle to make the table hieght you can sit them on the end of the bed facing the table as this acts like a booster seat being 2-3" higher than the seats.

As I said before both are excellent and it's really personal choice. I personally couldn't stand seating at those dinette tables, I don't even like them in restaurant's and there a darn site bigger than the expandas but that's me.

ChantalB

Jan 10, 2012
Erina,Central Coast NSW
Hi Jim,
Just saw a 16.49-1 with the l shape and must admit I loved it, even though it seems we might be in the minority lol. Just a quick question on the tv - do you just have it standing on the bench top or do you have it fixed on the wall with a bracket?
Thanks,Chantal

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Jim,
Just saw a 16.49-1 with the l shape and must admit I loved it, even though it seems we might be in the minority lol. Just a quick question on the tv - do you just have it standing on the bench top or do you have it fixed on the wall with a bracket?
Thanks,Chantal

LOL minority is good! Like I have told a few it's what works best for you and I am happy that lots find the dinette great.

At present I sit the TV ontop of the wardrobe but it's too high. Also you have to carry it loose. I regret not ordering the TV bracket with the van as they fit it to the side of the wardrobe and then brace it inside then when you arrive its one other thing you dont have to set up.

Anyway that's how I am going to do it.

ChantalB

Jan 10, 2012
Erina,Central Coast NSW
Thx - am now looking at ordering a new one as the jayco dealers are having great sales at the moment. Have been quoted a great price incl the wall bracket for the tv so it's good to hear it actually is worth it. Now just have to convince my husband it's definitely worth buying a new van ha ha shouldn't it be the other way round??

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Jim,
Thanks,Chantal
Something you may also want to investigate (if you want to spend a bit more ) is using an iMac for your tv. I used this for a while as it has a great stand that just sits on the bench. You can purchase an external tuner for the iMac that will plug straight into your antenna and you also get the added benefit of a computer for those places you have access to Internet also.

Reactions: achjimmy

Thirstyviv

Jan 8, 2012
Sydney
LOL minority is good! Like I have told a few it's what works best for you and I am happy that lots find the dinette great.

At present I sit the TV ontop of the wardrobe but it's too high. Also you have to carry it loose. I regret not ordering the TV bracket with the van as they fit it to the side of the wardrobe and then brace it inside then when you arrive its one other thing you dont have to set up.

Anyway that's how I am going to do it.

Hey Chantel we have a 24 inch LCD from this site. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/kinezo-2...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=016&category=11071&cmd=ViewItem

We picked it up for $190 which included the 12v adaptor and postage, as for the 4-5 weeks camping around the SE corner of Aus over Xmas this TV performed flawlessly and the stand easily attaches and detaches in a minute. it has use to play your movies from harddrives etc and it keep my daughter busy and happy at night just before reading her bedtime book.

With me upgrading our Dove OB to the 16.49-3B (which I pick up this upcoming Australia day weekend, might I add!!!!:whoo:) Mounting the TV with a bracket that locks in is a thought that I'm seriously considering as its just easier to turn on and off, without taking in and out of the box. i just have to figure out a position to mount it and any supporting plates required for the wall and counter weights etc even though the TV is very light.

Anyway hope all goes well.

Regards

Thirstyviv

ChantalB

Jan 10, 2012
Erina,Central Coast NSW
Hey Chantel we have a 24 inch LCD from this site. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/kinezo-2...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=016&category=11071&cmd=ViewItem

We picked it up for $190 which included the 12v adaptor and postage, as for the 4-5 weeks camping around the SE corner of Aus over Xmas this TV performed flawlessly and the stand easily attaches and detaches in a minute. it has use to play your movies from harddrives etc and it keep my daughter busy and happy at night just before reading her bedtime book.

With me upgrading our Dove OB to the 16.49-3B (which I pick up this upcoming Australia day weekend, might I add!!!!:whoo:) Mounting the TV with a bracket that locks in is a thought that I'm seriously considering as its just easier to turn on and off, without taking in and out of the box. i just have to figure out a position to mount it and any supporting plates required for the wall and counter weights etc even though the TV is very light.

Anyway hope all goes well.

Regards

Thirstyviv

Thanks for the website Thirstyviv - should have all our van details sorted tomorrow so will post all final decisions - what a process lol. Congrats on the 16.49-3 - that's great! Look forward to some pics :)

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Thx - am now looking at ordering a new one as the jayco dealers are having great sales at the moment. Have been quoted a great price incl the wall bracket for the tv so it's good to hear it actually is worth it. Now just have to convince my husband it's definitely worth buying a new van ha ha shouldn't it be the other way round??

If you get the dinnette don't go the TV bracket. We have been told by a friend that use to work at Newcastle in the workshop, not to get at TV mount in the dinnette. He said he gets lots of people complaining about banging there heads on the bracket as it is mounted next to the door. He has had to remove a few. We find the TV on the TV bench works well...

We went the dinnette because we saw a friends one with the table in the middle. To get in to bed was a PITA. Also theirs was a few years old and because they had to climb over the lounge to get in to bed the lounge was wearing quicker than it should... Just a thought.

The only negative is with the dinnette there isnt a nice lounge to sit and watch TV... This is our only bug bear with our van... Just done 3 weeks in it so we have found out the weaknesses in the van. This was the only one mind you... Either way you go you WILL love it... And as you are only a little north of use we can catch up and have a NSW expanda meet up the coast :)