2009 12.37 build up

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
I thought it was about time to put online the works to date, nearly there to use,Ive just got to find a good home for the larger spare which is looking more and more likely to be housed above draw bar for cost and ease of access..
Works completed:
Intall 120a/hr Fullriver battery
Connect setec unit to battery and wire up new additions
Install 300w LG panel with 30 amp controller
Paint under neath of van for protection
Install draw bar gas bayonet fitting
Raise van 150mm
Install pump to flickmaster and draw bar
Install exterior line to hot water line of flickmaster for Joolca
Install draws in robe
dust proof underneath and behind fridge
Clean up mess left by me from works
Here
Solar install 1.jpg
Solar install2.jpg
Solar Install 3.jpg
Panel mount1.jpg
Panel mount1.jpg
Panel Mount2.jpg
PanelMount3.jpg
Solar Finished.jpg
To install system I removed a winegard aerial.Which appears to be in pretty good condition, so Ill sell that shortly. I used 252 sikaflex to glue to roof which was $32 at Bunnings

Reactions: Drover and 1DayIll

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
I thought it was about time to put online the works to date, nearly there to use,Ive just got to find a good home for the larger spare which is looking more and more likely to be housed above draw bar for cost and ease of access..
Works completed:
Intall 120a/hr Fullriver battery
Connect setec unit to battery and wire up new additions
Install 300w LG panel with 30 amp controller
Paint under neath of van for protection
Install draw bar gas bayonet fitting
Raise van 150mm
Install pump to flickmaster and draw bar
Install exterior line to hot water line of flickmaster for Joolca
Install draws in robe
dust proof underneath and behind fridge
Clean up mess left by me from works
Here View attachment 50239 View attachment 50240 View attachment 50241 View attachment 50242 View attachment 50242 View attachment 50243 View attachment 50244 View attachment 50245 To install system I removed a winegard aerial.Which appears to be in pretty good condition, so Ill sell that shortly. I used 252 sikaflex to glue to roof which was $32 at Bunnings
I just thought you might want to know 252 sikaflex is not uv stable ,I made this mistake and found the panel started to separate from the roof after 9 months.I ended up cleaning off the panels and re used 295 sikaflex uv.

Last edited:
Reactions: KECL

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Well I finally got to use the baby panda after I think three months work. I checked my gas work one more time as I just wast happy with the t intersection. Sure enough slight leak so got out the flaring tool and gave it the once over..took about 20 min . Used a spray bottle whereas used a paint brush first time dipped in a soapy solution. Spray bottle found the leak.
We went to Noosa north Shore. Members will usually know this campground for its closeness to the lovely beach and the wild life. Still have the talon marks on my wrists from the lorries. Fishing was great..couldnt ask for a nicer 6 days
Temps plummeted during the night to around 4 to 6 deg. But we were a lot warmer in the panda compared to the Dove. The only issue was a front window stone cover that had blown open on the door side. I think this was due to me putting rubbing blocks to stop the cover rubbing on the front panel .
Thereby ramming air behind it. So ripped them off and put some scuff tape behind..so we'll see what transpires next trip. The other issue was air in water lines continually when using 12v pump. So I discussed with reese plumbing on our return..the sales staff were really helpful ..he said they get a lot of caravanners in for gear. He basically said there were two problems....pump should probably be mounted underneath to be force-fed with water for more efficiency and a non return valve as close to the tank as possible. So I went with the easy option of non return valve near the tank. Wammo it fixed the problem so no more air. I'll just replace the seals on the finspray hand pump
Here are a few pics. First panda at garage at tewantin. Second on the beach. You will notice the spare still hasnt been located permanently. So i just strapped it to the drawbar to go away.
20170721_170912.jpg
Resized_20170726_100020.jpeg

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Yes ..no van on beach.
Last time I was there towed the dove in from rainbow beach through to Freshwater campground in pitch black.Went the wrong way and ended up on the old section with a bumpy rocky hill to navigate..all i could see were the undulations in headlights. We got to campground and two 4wds refused to move so I had to stop in churned up soft soupy sand. I dropped pressures to 18PSI all round and the Prado pulled it out. We went on the beach the next day. The tracks were so deep that the front of the drawbar was scooping sand. I wont rush to take this down the beach as it took a lot of cleaning up when we got home .Corrosion starts quickly in that environment.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Big Barney

Aug 3, 2017
Langwarrin VIC
Hello everyone, I have just bought a 2010 12ft Expanda, after having had a 2004 Swan Outback since new. Dingo your mods are very impressive. I just had a couple of questions. Re your duel gas bottle setup, is it easy to get the smaller bottle in and out of the trunk without having to remove the big bottle? Also after having the Swan that had a main awning and a smaller kitchen awning on the offside, has anyone put a small awning on the 12ft Expanda on the offside? We have noticed already that we are really going to miss the undercover area for drying clothes/towels etc that was so good with the Swan. We only want a small awning like we had on the Swan but would prefer if it was still roll out so does anyone know if they make a shorter one or something like that? Any help would be appreciated. Regards Barney.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wow, @Dingo193 you dragged a van down Freshwater Track ????....just dragging a box trailer was enough fun in the daylight............lots of large vans venture up the beach from Teewah to camp on the beach only see the odd small from come in along the beach from Rainbow, I think the exit from Leisha Track could make life difficult sometimes........Van is looking good...

@Big Barney if you check out www.caravansplus.com.au they have a listing of awnings, sizes , prices and brands, would be an expensive though with arms and everything but they do have the best prices I have found and quick delivery.

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
HI Big Barney. Bottle fits well. Used a Jayco type strap I picked up from Big red tools on Ebay for $15...came from Britain easy install plenty of room around bottle. Parts from Caravan plus for gas flex lines. With regards to the awning..It is a 9Ft Carefree installed at factory...They are online for around $750...just a little more time than the Fiamma to set up. As for the fridge wouldnt worry about a shade Id firstly insulate the top of the fridge with Batt material...Use some flashing to then seal off the top of the cavity to funnel heat outside..I used insulation silver tape from Bunnings to seal fully. Two fans are going in on top vent. You will also find big gaps around cabinetry in that area...stuff some foam sealer in them.
We love the Expanda compared to the Dove ..just the next step...more cosy etc. Their is a special on Dometic modular annexes on the net if you can move on them for $699..dont think you will get anywhere close in price.
Can PM me if you want more info.

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Well the final things done were replacing 2 gang door switch with a three gang and ran a lead to the pop top combing to run a blue strip light ..repla ed all outer clearance lights with new white bases..at 2.30 each .so i know think we are close.??? Pic of van at borumba dam . I also had front spare vertically mounted ..really struggled with what to do..there. finally replaced all bases for Clearance lights..found the narva part number.. $2.30 ea.
20170820_094211.jpg
20170820_094211.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hello everyone, I have just bought a 2010 12ft Expanda, after having had a 2004 Swan Outback since new. Dingo your mods are very impressive. I just had a couple of questions. Re your duel gas bottle setup, is it easy to get the smaller bottle in and out of the trunk without having to remove the big bottle? Also after having the Swan that had a main awning and a smaller kitchen awning on the offside, has anyone put a small awning on the 12ft Expanda on the offside? We have noticed already that we are really going to miss the undercover area for drying clothes/towels etc that was so good with the Swan. We only want a small awning like we had on the Swan but would prefer if it was still roll out so does anyone know if they make a shorter one or something like that? Any help would be appreciated. Regards Barney.
Hi @Big Barney, you slipped through the catch net with that sneaky introduction hidden in this thread. Welcome to the forum, we're usually not so ignorant .... I used to live in your neck of the woods. 10 Panoramic Drive; I used to reverse my Swan up into the left hand side of the garage. The will mean nothing, until you drive past and have a look at the driveway

Reactions: PhilW and bigcol

Big Barney

Aug 3, 2017
Langwarrin VIC
Hello Crusty thanks for the welcome. I will take a look at the driveway, I am assuming it was a miracle effort every time you had to back it in. Martin it is looking good with the extra height and bigger wheels. I see your front window awning hasn't yellowed like most do. Any pics of how you mounted the front spare on the draw bar?? Regards.

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Hi Thanks...My front screen had really yellowed badly, so I took it to a spray painter and used RV Decals at Morayfield for new decals...Came up trumps.
Yandina Trailers suggested the tyre mount, they used a replacement dummy wheel hub on axle that is bolted to a upside down T-Piece which was 75mm x 50mm box steel, in case of a bearing or hub failure. CM092C-300x300.jpg

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Well I got the gas struts for $47. They were 300nm not the 240nm .Checked the struts I pulled off all were 24kg and slightly higher.One was slighly down. The new ones have made a difference lifting the roof. So Im happy. The build has now finished with the final addition of the alko off road hitch which ended up being necessary to open the Prado rear door with the raised suspension on the Panda

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
20171029_090140.jpg
20171029_090140.jpg
20171030_135458.jpg
Just come back from 9 days in Deepwater Nat. Park. At times we were the only ones there. Plenty of rats in the rock washes on change of tide.Last bait scored a nice hit ..spent 5 mins on a fish only to have it spit the hook. Ah well saved me filleting at the last minute. Here are a few shots of the Panda. I am having trouble with my tank wasnt sure what the capacity was..60l .80l etc..phoned Jayco and they said 80l. Only getting 65l out of it..so its not filling right up.Checked tank drain and tank was totally drained.Must have to change my filling technique. Any suggestions?? I currently foll till water coming out of inlet and breather???