2006 soft lid to hard lid??

boshie

Nov 21, 2011
Hi all

Just a few questions and I need your expert advice....
We are planning on a 12 month road trip travelling oz next year with 3 small kids (aged 6,4 and 3) and i'm looking at the expanda's. I'm just wondering if they are a good option for an around australia trip (security wise) given that we may have to roadside camp sometimes. I must admit that I like the security blanket of an all enclosed, 4 hard walls caravan however I like the larger interior space and light towing of the expandas. Am i being ridiculous??

Single axle vs tandem??

Also (and this may be a dumb question...) is it possible to convert a soft lid model to a hard lid? The newer (hard lid) models are a bit pricey for us at the moment but i dont like the idea of my kids sleeping under the soft lid.

Lastly, I'm looking at another model which has a set of bunks opposite the kitchen - is it possible to keep the top bunk but convert bottom bunk to extra storage / cupboards?

Cheers and thanx in advance for any advice.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Just a few questions and I need your expert advice....

I'm by no means an expert but some observations for what they are worth.

is it possible to convert a soft lid model to a hard lid?

I would think not - probably cheaper to buy a HL model.

Just make sure your soft lid has bed flies or better still, price them in. Alpine make them and they aren't expensive.

We had an Eagle CT and setting up the bed flies was easy - 10 mins tops for both ends. Kept the rain out no dramas!

Remember with canvas that it can and will get wet! Whether you and your gear gets wet all depends on if it is touching the wet canvas!

Lastly, I'm looking at another model which has a set of bunks opposite the kitchen - is it possible to keep the top bunk but convert bottom bunk to extra storage / cupboards?

Yes!

Good luck and remember, caravans are for old people!

Expandas are for campers who are young or young at heart!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Boshie
You shouldn't have any worries with security under canvas. Yes, there is always that slim chance that someone does something, but the odds are low. Other canvas vans are plenty on the road, whether it be Expandas/Rapid, the full fold out camper trailers or the likes of a Jayco camper - Swan, Eagle etc - with little history of security problems. The security on campers is much less, having velco joiners or zip panels. Unlike them, the expander canvas is physically attached to the bed base so no 'easy' access.
We've traveled across Australia, into all states ex QLD and NT with 3 girls a little older than yours with a Jayco Swan and never experienced any problems with security from the canvas. The caravaning/camping type people also make up a good 'community' (as you can tell from this forum) and tend to 'watch over' one another.

Naturally, always be sensible about where you stop and stay, but enjoy the trip.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Yeah, I'll second SD's comments.

I have two kids and I've often left "She Who Must Be Obeyed" with them for a week on their own - no trouble. We/they pretty much have spent half the last two xmas hols in the Eagle. Only once did they need help (for tech reasons - not major) and it was forthcoming from all directions. We look after our own - the caravan lot are good people!

ozwrangler

Dec 9, 2011
Vincentia, NSW
We did a round Oz trip with kids 5 and 11 and 2 dogs in a Jayco Eagle camper trailer.
Just upgraded to an Expanda.

Hear what you're saying about overnight stops, but the scariest place we stayed was a suburban caravan park outside Newcastle.
Seriously!
Pig shooters with rifles riding in back of ute in NT less scary when camped in a free camp (Devil's Pebbles), roadside.

Never felt worried under canvas.
Nothing ever stolen, either, and the larger canvas on the CT make them very easy to get into.