2006 Ford Territory GHIA - Towing

Cambo

Feb 4, 2019
Wilton, NSW
Hi all. Just bought a used 2010 Jayco Expanda Outback 16.49-1HL which I haven't picked up yet. Our tow vehicle is a 2006 Ford Territory GHIA with a newly fitted Hayman Reese 2300kg rated tow bar. With an empty ball mass of 147kg and a GTM of 1850kg, I'm concerned I'm going get a bit of 'sag' in the rear as like when we were towing our 2018 Jayco Swan which was considerably lighter, albeit on the standard Ford 1600kg tow bar that I've replaced. The weight distribution might be different from the the Swan to the Expanda and I won't know until I hitch it up, but any suggestions? WDH or Airbags etc?

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
From memory the Ford HD tow kit for my BF falcon required a WDH for anything over 1600/160. Don’t know about the Territory maybe check the owners manual if you have it.
It also specified towing in performance mode to lock out the overdrive gear.

Cambo

Feb 4, 2019
Wilton, NSW
From memory the Ford HD tow kit for my BF falcon required a WDH for anything over 1600/160. Don’t know about the Territory maybe check the owners manual if you have it.
It also specified towing in performance mode to lock out the overdrive gear.
Thanks. I've actually now opted for Pedders Air Bags in the rear which are getting installed on Monday ($550 fitted), so I'll see how that stacks up as I've been advised the WDH's are difficult with turning/reversing etc.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It will depend on the ball weight of your new rig compared to your old one, that's what will cause the sag, most of the van weight is carried by the van wheels.......I would go upgraded springs first as the originals are usually lame and in time just fail to do anything plus you will find your Territory will handle better all round not just towing.......crap springs on all vehicles is the main cause of sag, fitting air bags doesn't fix it, just covers it up.....good suspension is enhanced with air bags.

Cambo

Feb 4, 2019
Wilton, NSW
It will depend on the ball weight of your new rig compared to your old one, that's what will cause the sag, most of the van weight is carried by the van wheels.......I would go upgraded springs first as the originals are usually lame and in time just fail to do anything plus you will find your Territory will handle better all round not just towing.......crap springs on all vehicles is the main cause of sag, fitting air bags doesn't fix it, just covers it up.....good suspension is enhanced with air bags.
Yeah thanks. I'm trying to maintain a decent ride when not towing as we use it as our family car. We loaded up the ball a bit too much with the Swan as we packed a lot in the rear of the car, so at a guess without weighing, I reckon it would've got close to 170-180kg, whereas the 'unloaded' ball weight on the Expanda is 147kg. Most of what we packed in the rear of the car, will now go in over axle of Expanda, so hopefully it will be a lot better. But yes, stiffer springs will be the next point of call if required. If I can avoid a WDH, I will I think

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Don’t blame you wanting to avoid a WDH, they are a pain to live with. If you can keep the ball weight under control you may get away without it.
Good luck and let us know how you go :)

Reactions: Cambo

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most of the harder ride is just waffle, original springs are spongy, cause body roll and a totally useless with any sort of load and a vehicle with a few years on it more than likely useless.....Upgrading springs has more benefits than just for towing, you may not need a WDH at all.
Weights on the van compliance plate are usually total BS.

Reactions: Cambo