20' Series 20.64-1 Outback on Dirt?

Paydirt

Jan 17, 2016
Ipswich
Hey Everyone,

Well I've been looking at the Jaycos since the beginning of the year for a bit of adventure at the end of the year. Originally looking at a Starcraft 17.58-3. We have 3 kids 4, 6 and 8 and would have converted the table to the extra bed. But now we're looking to stretch the funds to the 20' series in either a 20.64-1 Expanda OB or the Starcraft 22.68-1 OB; both in triple bunk.

My question is, have many people with the 20.64-1 with the slide out club lounge, done any dirt road travelling? My concern is that the slide out will provide another way for dust to enter. Would this be the case, or am I overthinking it?

We're not going to be doing anything full on, but just some corrugation and red dirt would be part of our trip. Looking for advice form those in the know and thought it would help with the decision of a full van vs a Expanda.

Thanks in advance.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Paydirt . We have the 21-64 OB (now obsolete) with slide out and did approx 200km of dirt/gravel rd after taking a "short cut". We didn't have any dirt come into the van at all. We had done no prep work as we had picked the van up from Melbourne and were on our way home to Perth at the time. The rubber around the slide out is pretty big and seals it well. I'm sure there are other people with slideouts who have done more dirt roads than me who can help.

Reactions: davemc
Sep 20, 2015
Adelaide
Hi @Paydirt. We have the 22.68.1 OB StarCraft with the triple bunk unit. We absolutely love it and for us would not have anything else. The floorplan suits us and having all the beds made up is how we like it. We did a lot of looking and thinking of what was best for us and decided the full van was the way to go. The only item we would change if we had it again was to have a slide out club lounge table, but when I went in to see if there was a way of doing this on a new van our only option was a Silverline and then we were going to 25ft, also quoted near $80k for it. The changeover price for such an upgrade was not worth it right now but if I get extra funds (winning X Lotto would be nice!) would look at it. I hope this post can help you in some small way.

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
There are a few people on here with slide outs so should help.
We have a touring 22.68 underslung with upgraded chassis We really like the main bed coming from the 17.58 no climbing over someone.
A few threads around for pre work for dirt I know been looking at them :) We not going to far off road although want to at least go down a few tracks.
Just brought a set of larger screws and will replace all the cupboard ones, I lost a few screws on both our old 17.58 and 22.68 just black road.
I need to fix underneath you know Jayco Outback fine print says do not take it off road :) he he
You could always put a pressure system in if your going a lot of road.

I am with you @Mike & Jen Starcraft I like the Silverline as well although not the $ and the extra length :)
If we ordered not brought floor stock probably gone the L shape lounge if you want to put it down for a bed comes with gas lift table

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ours hasn't a slide out but we do drive dirt roads a lot.

Partly to get to unusual places and partly because the GPS tells us to go that way. Smirke, you're not the only one!

Yesterday we did about 180kms on dirt....very bad corrugations and some mud following overnight rain. The only problem we've found is the top cupboard doors with unreliable hinges but that's not caused by jolting on dirt roads, though I guess it doesn't help.

No dust ingress at all but we have covered every exposed pipe, hole etc underneath and the Jaytech suspension is very impressive....it's fun to watch the van in the side mirrors as you bump along. It bumped enough to jolt the UHF and gps out from their brackets.

And we had rain all night so some of the dust is now mud! But it's peaceful and quiet as no other idiot believed their gps.

So the part answer to the question? Yes, it handles corrugations very well with no dust.

Reactions: dagree and davemc

Paydirt

Jan 17, 2016
Ipswich
Thanks guys for the comments. I was leaning towards the Starcraft for the fact it has the queen bed that isn't east/west therefore not having to climb over someone in the middle of the night etc. Also cause it's a full van and not having to fold up bed ends and the possibility of wet canvas etc. However, in saying that, the Expanda does have more room in a smaller package and I guess if it were torrential conditions, you could just slide out the club lounge and sleep there. Those with the slide out, can you sleep comfortably on there with 2 people?

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
A 20.62-3 Starcraft with triple bunks and single beds could be an option if room inside was important. The floor space is expanda like and makes our van feel pretty big inside.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
If its raining great to have a little more inside space although mostly we sit outside.
We have eaten outside 95% of the time with the last two vans as 4 kids eating normally ends up looking likes pigs been there :)
Our 4 kids sit on the dinette in the morning if up to early.. Then normally outside the rest of the day. Or take over our large bed for movie night. They can also escape to bunks for some of there own time
Even at night we normally sit outside chatting or watching TV after the kids go to bed.
Its really if we have not setup the walls/annex outside or its too cold we go in and kids are in bed.

Although I would of got a L shape instead of dinette if have our time again. If your thinking of open space the L shape makes the area more open and also I think works better. The two seats near the window over wheel arch on dinette.
Z6SJ-Resized320x240.jpg
Also if you get a dual bunk and the dinette option under gives the kids somewhere to play.. 4 kids we had no choise :)

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi Paydirt, we have a 20.64 with a slide out. We took it across some dirt road over the weekend for the first time. There was a little bit of dust came in through the vent above the step, but none came in around the slide out or in through the front expanda lid. There was no dust what soccer inside the rubber seal on the slide out so we were very happy. Particularly after having a series of swans that leaked dust at the slightest sign of any dirt. Hope this helps.

Also, couldn't agree more with the comments above, the slide out makes for soooo much room inside when you need to be in there( not the goal when you are away for a weekend though)