17' Series 1st trip with our 17.56-1

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
Yay after 4.5 long months waiting we picked up our van 10 days ago and are now set up for our first weekend away in Inverloch and the wait was definately worth it.
Does have a few warranty issues but nothing that means we can't use it for now.
With gale force winds we have had to put the awning and arial away but the van is very solid.
Loved the set up...so much easier than the swan camper.
Have made some plastic waterproof bed ends (idea from a thread on here) but used heavy duty Velcro instead of press studs...will see if they survive gale force winds.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Wow... Given the wind that's some brave camping.

Would love to see some pics too, particularly of the bed ends. I'd love to get some but the remaining budget will be spent on carport and tug upgrades. So if there is a cheap DIY option, I'm all ears!

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
Great stuff @Cuttsy888 what aweekend to go away. How was the tow in the wind? And love some pics too!
Towing in the wind was great, high winds but van or car didn't move. Towing with 2011 diesel territory with WDH. We were very pleasantly surprised.
The winds overnight were huge and although the noise of it woke me a few times the van or bed ends didn't move. It was only when we opened the door that we realised how windy it was.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
congrats on your first trip, even if it was a breezy one! the wind awoke me at home listen to the roof tiles rattle, so a couple of times in the van pretty good.
good to hear it towed well, i was impressed when i first towed one.

Enjoy !

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Wow... Given the wind that's some brave camping.

Would love to see some pics too, particularly of the bed ends. I'd love to get some but the remaining budget will be spent on carport and tug upgrades. So if there is a cheap DIY option, I'm all ears!

Was definately windy but as I said above the van or bed ends didn't move. The swan would have been all over the place!

We did take the waterproof bed ends down as were worried we were going to lose them as wind gusts were huge! We are waiting on some press studs to add to the Velcro to make it more secure but really we will very rarely be camping in these conditions. All up for plastic and Velcro from bunnings and press studs cost approx $130 to make 2. We put them on over the black privacy screens. Was worried the privacy screens would blow away once we took the plastic down but they were still perfectly positioned this morning.
Will take some photos with the plastic cover on when it's not so windy.
image.jpg

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Congs on new van you love it and territory as a tow tug love it we got the 2013 awd diesel towing a 20/63-1 and love it . Which park you in at inverloch we go to the racv resort a lot we live in leongatha only 25 mins away enjoy

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Good looking set up, I see the anti flap kit, did you get the rafters? Would like to see some pics of the waterproof ends, we're looking to do something similar ourselves.

Reactions: Smergen

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
Good looking set up, I see the anti flap kit, did you get the rafters? Would like to see some pics of the waterproof ends, we're looking to do something similar ourselves.
Yes we got 2 rafters. Unfortunately it appears the holes in the awning roller were drilled in the wrong place so the awning won't go in the AFK at that end.
Last night we put the waterproof bed ends under the black privacy screens and they stayed in place through gale force winds and pelting rain. Unfortunately the hinge on the front bed leaked so we ended up with a pool on the canvas roof.
Will try and get a photo.

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
We had an awesome weekend despite bucketing rain and gale force winds ....it just wasn't long enough!
Did discover some warranty issues, mostly minor so I will talk to Jayco tomorrow.
Does anyone have an issue with the mattress on the 2014 model? On the front bed the 2 sections don't sit at the same height (small section slightly lower ) so you really feel the hard edge on the large section.

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
Congs on new van you love it and territory as a tow tug love it we got the 2013 awd diesel towing a 20/63-1 and love it . Which park you in at inverloch we go to the racv resort a lot we live in leongatha only 25 mins away enjoy
We were in the Big 4. Always stayed there with the swan. Did mean to check out the racv one while we were there but forgot!
We are loving the diesel Awd territory. Had to sell our 2012 sv6 wagon when we got the van but don't miss it like we thought we would.

Reactions: brotys