18.57-6 v's 18.57-9 Storage

LAMBS

Dec 7, 2011
Hi everyone. I'm new here and thought this would be a great place to ask for some advice.

We are looking at ordering a new expanda van and are tossing up between the 18.57-6 and 18.57-9.

We love the layout of the 18.57-9 as we will have a newborn and 2.5 year old so we thought the extra double bed will give us some more options while the 2.5 year old is still a little young for a top bunk. The only thing I'm concerned about is storage. Does anyone that has the 18.57-9 have any comments to make on the storage? I'd love to here them. Do you think there is enough?

The 18.57-6 we have seen and has ample storage but I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with my 2.5 year old being on the top bunk just yet.

Would love to hear any opinions!!!!

Thanks

ckcklopic

Aug 11, 2011
Melbourne
We traded up to the 18.57-9 from a 16.49-2 because of the bathroom and the storage. We optioned to fix the bottom bunk to give extra storage, as we felt we didnt need the extra dinette. We now have a place for everything and we probably take far too much stuff. We did look at the 18.57-6 but decided the extra bed was more usable as i sometimes take my niece away. We only got the new van just before cupday and have only had one weekend trip. We are looking forward to a longer trip in Jan, but so far are very happy with our choice.
Good luck
Kim

ozwrangler

Dec 9, 2011
Vincentia, NSW
Definite no to the bunk bed for 2.5 year old.
Our 5 year old would have fallen out of our Jayco Eagle camper trailer double bed (shared with brother) if not for the safety net.

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
If you prefer the layout of the 18.57-6 for in the future (eg when your kids are older) then why not consider getting the dinette bed converter on that model to use until your 2.5 YO is old enough for the top bunk? We have it on our van and it's a perfect size for a young child and a large enough bed to keep them in securely. You will probably find that in another 6-12 mths she would be ready for the top bunk.
We have 2 boys who are almost 5 and 3, and our 3 YO would be able to sleep in the top bunk now if needs be (although we have the 5 YO up there at the moment), plus he can master the ladder quite well now aswell. We bought a toddler bed rail for the bottom bunk and that keeps him from falling out very well. Just something to consider because you don't want to feel the need to upgrade your van in a few years when the kids are older if the 18.57-9 doesn't totally suit your needs.

There is also a new model coming out next year, so it could be worth looking into that aswell.

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
I would also suggest getting an enclosed sleeper bed for the newborn (see pic below) as you could use that either on the dinette bed or in the 2nd bed if you get the 18.57-9. I had one for my kids and used it in the cot at home too.

Sleeper.jpg

LAMBS

Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for all your replies. They are a great help.
We do like the layout of the -9 also, the extra bed is a bonus for space but are just concerned that there may not be enough storage........
Do you guys think there would be enough storage in that van for a family of 4?
I mean your losing the robe, the double pantry( now single) and the storage under the bottom bunk, oh and also some in the kitchen aren't you?
But you are getting the under bed storage in the double?
There are none in the Perth Jayco yard at the moment so its hard to compare.