17 series Outback HWS & Pump switch cover

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi All,

Does anyone have any great idea's of how to stop the kiddies kicking the switches on & off on a 17.56?

For those who don't know the Water Pump, tank & battery monitors & hot water service switches are all located at the lower side of the dining table seat. The trouble is when the kiddies are climbing in & out from behind the table switches accidentally get turned on and off!

Please help:o

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I too have this problem, I have seen a couple of posts where people have relocated them but I don't really want to have to go to that extent, I called into our local electrical supplier to see if they had anything "off the shelf" but no luck so the next step was to fabricate some sort of clear acrylic (Perspex) cover. Now that I have finally finished renovating my rental and have a tenant in there, I might have a bit more time up my sleeve to play around with a few Ideas i have, will keep you posted.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day big Gee,

I can only offer 3 suggestions

1 use tape of some sort over switches
2 do what zero did and move the switches
Or 3 don't take the kids with you...... Kidding mate!
But seriously I don't know why Jayco don't put them somewhere else. I have been caught with the fridge switch inside the cupboard in our 16'. Sometimes things that are shoved in cupboard turns it off!

Cheers.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
They are a real pain where Jayco put them, I moved the HWS switch but it's quite a long job but worth it and put a power point in the hole.

DSCN8457 (Small).JPG DSCN8469 (Small).JPG

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Havent picked up my 17 yet, so I'm not sure how many switches and where they will be, but Jaycar has a number of differnt boxes that migh work. I recently installed a timer for our spa at home and used a clear acrylic box from Jaycar to stop the kids fiddling. It opens at the front and comes in different sizes. Perhpas something like this coupld be adapted.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Thanks Everyone, it's been so long since we were away I forgot we even had this silly problem. It didn't matter so much before I got a q/r coupling put on for the Weber! But now the hws seems way more efficient when running on gas & 240v. I wonder if it will cause any issues? I suppose it run for about 3 - 4 hours yesterday before anyone realised :frusty:

Jayco have been building caravans for so many years how is it they have not moved the switches or found a suitable fix! This could easily be fixed during manufacture.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks Everyone, it's been so long since we were away I forgot we even had this silly problem. It didn't matter so much before I got a q/r coupling put on for the Weber! But now the hws seems way more efficient when running on gas & 240v. I wonder if it will cause any issues? I suppose it run for about 3 - 4 hours yesterday before anyone realised :frusty:
Jayco have been building caravans for so many years how is it they have not moved the switches or found a suitable fix! This could easily be fixed during manufacture.

Another safe guard I built into my system when fix up Jayco Standard Issue is to wire the HWS Switch 12v feed into my Water Pump Switch so that the HWS (gas anyway) cant be switched on unless the Water Pump is switched on First. Just another Safe Guard :)

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Another safe guard I built into my system when fix up Jayco Standard Issue is to wire the HWS Switch 12v feed into my Water Pump Switch so that the HWS (gas anyway) cant be switched on unless the Water Pump is switched on First. Just another Safe Guard :)

Hmmmm I like that idea too!

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
You could get key operated switchs such as a clipsal CAT No 31VK2CK. These are a key operated switch that lock in the on or off position and have a common key.
A0178.jpg

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
We have this problem too. For now I just put some electrical tape on the switch to hold it in position but I am looking at a guard to cover it. Better still would be to move it which might be expensive. Why they put it there.............well who knows!

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Anyone who orders a new van can ask for them to be relocated to the circuit breaker area. I requested the move and was told that it will be done. I do not have the van yet so can't be sure but I am hopfull at this stage that the battery switch, moniter and hws switch will be located either in the circuit breaker box below the air con location or somewhere neer by. Will keep you all informed as to how it pans out and supply a pic if successful.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
You can buy, for want of a better name, a recessed frame that hold a regular powerpoint or gang switches. Puts the switch about an inch or inch and a half below the original surface.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I saw them in Masters on their opening day, so yes a Bunnings type thing. I don't know if they actually are available at Bunnings. Next chance I get I'll drop in and get more details.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Saw a recessed one with a clear plastic cover (for outdoor use)at Mitre10 today might go a grab that tomorrow and fit a flat plate in it and mount the HWS and Battery switches to that

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Thanks everyone, we have a Masters opening soon at the airport! Another good excuse to check them out. They must have Bunnings scared, at Tuggeranong you could never find anyone to help and now there is so many 14 year olds so experienced and ready at hand to fulfill you every shopping need its almost painful...... "note the sarcasm"