Journey 17.58-3 Starcraft/journey Bed and drawbar

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Hi All,

Possibly looking at either a 17.58-3 Starcraft or new Journey.

How do people find the double bed at the front for room? Wifey and i layed in one at local jayco shop and it seemed ok (we are reasonably thin), but was wondering peoples thoughts who have owned one for a while and if they felt a bit squished if your the one lying against the sloped front wall?

Is an extended drawbar a "necessity" ? From what ive read people who have the extended drawbar love it, but one's for sale second hand none seem to have one optioned.

Cheers

Last edited:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We went for the single bed variant of the Journey simply for the space provided. We figured with the double bed, the side spaces are so narrow you would end up getting dressed in the kitchen / dining area but the single beds allow room between them as well as having cupboards above them which are absent in the double bed model. Ours is a pop top with a rear door so may be different to what you are looking at. Also, we don't have an extended draw bar but it would have been nice to have.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi All,

Possibly looking at either a 17.58-3 Starcraft or new Journey.

How do people find the double bed at the front for room? Wifey and i layed in one at local jayco shop and it seemed ok (we are reasonably thin), but was wondering peoples thoughts who have owned one for a while and if they felt a bit squished if your the one lying against the sloped front wall?

Is an extended drawbar a "necessity" ? From what ive read people who have the extended drawbar love it, but one's for sale second hand none seem to have one optioned.

Cheers

Hey mate how you going ? Should have bought our 17 would of been a complete set :D

East west beds okay, we used to swap around. The person at the front can tire of it .

Re the extended drawbar . Had both and if it wasn’t for thinking I might still need a box on the front I would have NOT optioned it. Towed the 19ft without extended straight after towing our 17 with extended and couldn’t get over how much tighter the turning circle was without even though the van was larger. The extended also makes it slower to come around when backing up. Which can be good and bad . Recently trying to squeeze the new 19 (with extended ) into a tight spot in Dorrigo I just couldn’t get it the spot and regretted the extended drawbar.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Hey Jim,

Yes mate we should have, was only just looking at your van thread the other day, would love to pick a van up with all the good mods done to it. Although i must admit, after seeing how well our fiberglass sided van survived a hail storm i do think we would prefer a slightly newer model with the fiberglass construction.

Very interesting to hear your thoughts pros/cons of extended draw bar now you've had both. Ive always thought its a good idea after reading alot on here but like most things i guess there are pros and cons. We are tossing up between one of these and a work n play, the wnp we are looking at is not too far from us and has the extended drawbar.

Lensim

Nov 24, 2017
Coffs Harbour
Hey Mate,
We pick up a new 17.58-3 earlier this year. Standard draw bar, so can't comment, but we do have the "east west" bed. I always steel the open side and wifey gets the wall!:) We aren't big people and would prefer the island style bed but to get the bunk/shower model we would have to go to a full size van. We did a month trip over winter upto Caravan gorge and the bed passed the test. When we were looking at vans we also had concerns as you do, i am 6ft and wife is about 5'7". Hope this helps with your decision. On a side note, we are really happy with the van, few little issues when new but all fixed under warranty with no problems.

Cheers

Reactions: spiderpig

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey Jim,

Yes mate we should have, was only just looking at your van thread the other day, would love to pick a van up with all the good mods done to it. Although i must admit, after seeing how well our fiberglass sided van survived a hail storm i do think we would prefer a slightly newer model with the fiberglass construction.

Very interesting to hear your thoughts pros/cons of extended draw bar now you've had both. Ive always thought its a good idea after reading alot on here but like most things i guess there are pros and cons. We are tossing up between one of these and a work n play, the wnp we are looking at is not too far from us and has the extended drawbar.

I’d go the work n play. Think the concept is awesome. The one thing that got on our tit long term was you just can’t “lounge “ in it. It’s a great package to fit 4-5 in a small van but you can’t beat room imo. Plus no popping the roof. :cheer2:

Extended drawbar as I said, if you don’t need a box don’t worry about it. If it has one so be it.

Ben do the airbag mod :becky: great mod

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Ended up getting ourselves a 2015 work n play :)

@achjimmy , was reading your ob starcraft thread and liked the sound of the robuck carpet you used. Went to bunnings and they didnt seem to have it. Is it rubber backed? Marine grade or just normal indoor?

Could only find this one. Its called topdeck and its not rubber backed.

20181121_104449.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Ended up getting ourselves a 2015 work n play :)

@achjimmy , was reading your ob starcraft thread and liked the sound of the robuck carpet you used. Went to bunnings and they didnt seem to have it. Is it rubber backed? Marine grade or just normal indoor?

Could only find this one. Its called topdeck and its not rubber backed.

View attachment 62291

Bunnings don’t do it anymore mate .

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Hey mate how you going ? Should have bought our 17 would of been a complete set :D

East west beds okay, we used to swap around. The person at the front can tire of it .

Re the extended drawbar . Had both and if it wasn’t for thinking I might still need a box on the front I would have NOT optioned it. Towed the 19ft without extended straight after towing our 17 with extended and couldn’t get over how much tighter the turning circle was without even though the van was larger. The extended also makes it slower to come around when backing up. Which can be good and bad . Recently trying to squeeze the new 19 (with extended ) into a tight spot in Dorrigo I just couldn’t get it the spot and regretted the extended drawbar.
Bunnings don’t do it anymore mate .

All good. Just got the top deck, colour matches well. Did the one you use have a rubber backing?