17' Series 17.56-2OB help needed

Oct 14, 2014
Can anyone help me with what size power cable needs to run for the power to the fridge thanks on my toyota prado

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Can anyone help me with what size power cable needs to run for the power to the fridge thanks on my toyota prado
Hi James. The large Dometic fridges draw btw 15 and 18amps (the 150ltr draws 15amps, the 184ltr draws 18amps)
Over a run distance of say 10mtrs, there is significant potential for voltage drop and overheating of the wire and connectors which will compound any voltage drop if you use a wire thats not big enough.

With a draw of that amperage over a rough distance of 10mtrs, from battery to fridge, the recommended wire gauge would be 6B&S which has core of about 7.5mm diameter. Its not "6mm wire", its much thicker. Its a big, heavy guage wire, about $10+/metre for twin sheathed (pos and neg). Also run the earth direct to the battery, don't earth of the chassis.

Although with the my new van, Ive opted for an Anderson plug, my last 16.49.1 Expanda had a 150ltr fridge which I ran through the 12 pin plug without an issue.

Knowing this will likely set off a debate; an Anderson plug is not the be all and end all. The large pins on a 12 pin plug are rated at 30amps and cope with the larger fridges

This is the Redarc wire gauge
Redarc wire guage.jpg

Last edited:

Zilla

Nov 10, 2014
Payed our deposit for 2015 17.5 OB yesterday at Bayswater Jayco with quoted delivery date of March 2015. Fingers crossed!!!!

Reactions: cruza driver

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum @Zilla, the info available here defies description. Just hold on to your wallet as the ideas here will clean it out.:D As stated we love pictures and info on your whereabouts, tug and anything else you want to share. Enjoy the forum while you suffer the wait period. :o

Zilla

Nov 10, 2014
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Design shown to us sees the floor plan basically being flipped so as to meet the standards re the fridge gas outlet. Will get to the list of goodies later today and maybe lock the wallet in a safe !!!!!

Oct 14, 2014
Please tell me again why zilla has to wait till march for there van when jayco can make one in three days?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Please tell me again why zilla has to wait till march for there van when jayco can make one in three days?
Yes... Seems your in queue.. Takes 3 days to make one van and they do it in runs.
So one week could be 16.49 the next 17.56-2 etc
We went on the tour it was all the same model on each line.

I think this is why they hold their value as you normally wait 4-6 months.. and no one likes waiting :)

Reactions: dagree

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
if your melb based see if you can do the tour when the van is supposed to come out.
Fingers crossed before they shutdown over Christmas for you :)

Which van is it @james saunders if a 17.56.. maybe ask if they flipping the design as yet for the Annex? Sometimes end of year gets what is in next years models

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
i know at the march van show just geelong jayco sold 260 vans all different ones, 70 or something 17s well that's what he told me

Oct 14, 2014
if your melb based see if you can do the tour when the van is supposed to come out.
Fingers crossed before they shutdown over Christmas for you :)

Which van is it if a 17.56.. maybe ask if they flipping the design as yet for the Annex? Sometimes end of year gets what is in next years models
Davemc I ordered my van almost 5 months ago and they have only just sent me a final floor plan and it the current layout, but they are ringing me about a pickup date today.Gone from late November to first week December now it's the 19th December.Should have already been on my holidays so just waiting on jayco

Oct 14, 2014
To late pick up on 18th December.We did really ever use the full annex on the eagle just the rear wall section so should be just fine

Sep 2, 2014
Hi,
Get the shelves build in the hanging cupboard.
Extra drop down table is well worth it.
Extended drawbar is a must towes better and allows for extra storage on front. Boc etc