17.56-2 Diesel/Gas Heater location?

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
G'day,
Hoping to get some thoughts, feelings from owners of 17.56 on where they had heater installed, also where you put the tank for the fuel if it was a diesel heater.
I was thinking maybe in the rear storage area but before I go and start fitting a heater I'd like to see where others had placed it.

Cheers, Matt.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
big fan of the diesel heaters myself, i've installed both types and the diesel easy outperforms the gas. only thing i don't like is the tank it's a awkward thing to mount. One customers even got a alloy tank made and put it on the drawbar, so thats a option to look at.
our gas plumber is a bit pedantic about installing the gas ones, has to go on fireproof board, inclosed in a box to separate it from any ignition sources and the exhaust has to be away from windows and other ignition sources (like hot water and fridges) he makes the call as he's the one signing off on it so we do what he wants.
another good thing about the diesels is you don't need a suction pipe, you can just put a vent on the cupboard and let it suck in air that way.

havvn't done a panda install of either, but the best place would be the storage compartments under the end beds.

Reactions: mbr37746

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
I have a 17.56.2 as well, as Dean has said Andrew C has a gas unit in his.

I am going to install a diesal unit in mine in the coming months. Main reasons for diesal is space, They are much smaller than the gas units, i intend on fitting mine under the dinette seat where the water lines enter. It will fit and this storage location is alreay stufffed wih batterys etc so you do not loose morestorage space.

The deisals also can vent through the floor, so you do not have the complcation on where the gas vent goes and locking off windows etc.. If you want to DIY you also can do the entire job yourself as you do not need a gas certificate.

I will put the tank on the DB some where with the filling side the same as the car. I run a desial car so no big issue with making sure the tank is full.

Good luck with the choice.
Tim

Reactions: mbr37746

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
thanks @DaveS I'll be down your way for work in the next couple of weeks. I'll see if I get time to come out to say G'Day and have a look at a few options on placement (if you have time) and pick your brains on install. Cheers.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
I have a 17.56.2 as well, as Dean has said Andrew C has a gas unit in his.

I am going to install a diesal unit in mine in the coming months. Main reasons for diesal is space, They are much smaller than the gas units, i intend on fitting mine under the dinette seat where the water lines enter. It will fit and this storage location is alreay stufffed wih batterys etc so you do not loose morestorage space.

The deisals also can vent through the floor, so you do not have the complcation on where the gas vent goes and locking off windows etc.. If you want to DIY you also can do the entire job yourself as you do not need a gas certificate.

I will put the tank on the DB some where with the filling side the same as the car. I run a desial car so no big issue with making sure the tank is full.

Tim
just make sure you have enough room for the hole, it requires about a 5" hole for the mounting plate and it's easier to connect the heater to the plate and attach the pipes before you drop it in the hole

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
thanks @DaveS I'll be down your way for work in the next couple of weeks. I'll see if I get time to come out to say G'Day and have a look at a few options on placement (if you have time) and pick your brains on install. Cheers.
no problems be nice to meet ya ...... don't pick too hard at the brain matter, not much left :)

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
We've got a diesel heater and find it's fantastic, only thing I need to do is add an extra fuel filter before the pump as there is a fine mesh at the inlet side of the pump that got a film over it after not being used for a while and stopped the diesel flowing.

image0012.jpg
image0017.jpg

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria

Tim

But surely the products of combustion are poisonous on a diesel heater. Are you sure it can flue/vent under a caravan?