17' Series 17.56-1 OB- about to order

Hagrid

Nov 17, 2011
Mandurah WA (working in China)
Hi all,

Wife and I are about to order our first caravan - the 17.56.1 OB We have 3 kids, 13 yr old son, 10yr old daughter and a 10 month old daughter and expecting to have another in a few years. For extras we're going to get:
- HWS
- 2nd gas tank
- outside table
- Gas bayonet (looking at putting one front and rear)
- outside shower
- innerspring mattress
- privacy blinds
- TV & Aerial
- AC
- Outside room
- hose kit

Also finding out about the larger fridge.

Is there anything we're missing of the top of your head? I know we could get the TV far cheaper by fitting it ourselves but tbh I just want to drive it away all set up.

We are seriously thinking about swapping the lower bunk for a kitchen bench and storage. Has anyone got any insight into this? We're also thinking about the roof mounted AC. Any thoughts? We'll be keeping the jayco in our shed so shouldn't be a problem re height.

Anything else you can think to mention to a newbie :)

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Congrats on your pending order. We picked up out 17.56-2 today. Firstly I'd suggest to work out the sleeping plan. The bunks aren't full size and will last to around the 12-14 year old mark as the are quite narrow too. Without the extra bunk you'd be having to put the main table up and down every day. You can make the bottom bunk permanent which offers underbunk storage.

We have the rooftop air, 150l fridge, cd player... Came with the RCA leads for the tv sound to go through. We have the wind atenna. As for tv unless you want to wall mount it, it's just a matter of plugging it in. We have to put the battery in and we want to get privacy screen for the outside of the bed ends. The outback ( which we got) has two interal 12v plugs and one external, it comes with drop jacks too which is extra for the on road. You may want to consider if you want an exterior tv point.

I'm sure there's plenty of more experienced expanda owners can help a whole lot more

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
hagrid, there was thread a couple days ago just that to of someone altering their van for buffet inlieu of thelower bunks, pictures were to follow. i would suggest getting gpo outlets in the walls under the dining areas, just the place kids/parents to plug in and stay charged for those electonic gadgets, has worked a treat for us. also suggest a second internal tv point near the main fuse (kitchen area usually is where jayco will do it) for the flex ability of placing the tv on boths sides of the van. like you we have the 4 kids and we still can swing cat inside (sorry for those cat lovers out there,no harm intended of course)...

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Pace, our came with the second outlet near the switch box... I didnt know it was an extra As we bought one already ordered by the dealer

Aremac

Sep 20, 2011
Townsville, North Queensland.
Hi Hagrid,

We're picking up our 17.56-2 in a couple of weeks. I changed our bottom bunk/dinette out for the "buffet unit", i think it will be a better us of the space for us.

Cougz & Aj posted some pics in another thread to give us an idea of what it'll look like.

kegs

Sep 23, 2011
hunter valley
Hi Hagrid,
Im picking up my van on the the 19th dec, the same as yours. Like you I have got most of your inclusions, also got the deep cell battery, solar provisions, cd player and outdoor speakers along with an extra outdoor light. This in my first van, graduating from a camper trailer, so ask a lot of questions, people are more than happy to help out. I can't wait to get mine and am counting the days. :yo: