16' tyre upgrade .

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey all does anyone have the 16" tyre upgrade on there setup?

reason being I am asking is because I was going to go with this & the Cairns rep talked me out of it simply because he thought they were not such a good qualit tyre as that of the 15" .

Not sure what to believe now. However the price was something like $495 , now I am not sure if that was for one or two. Does anybody know the price who may have them & ordered direct from the factory ?

I also want to get two Spares. Remove the one from the front under the draw bar maybe . Make a new rear bar & mount them at the rear & have them in such a way that they drop down 90 degrees to the van prior to opening up the back bed.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
I stayed with the 15 inch rims. The outback is higher and independent suspension will also rise the van a little. 16inch has a taller tyre so I've been told and would rise the van as well. I didn't want the van so high so opted to stay with the 15's.

Lot of people will upgrade if the vehicle has same size rims and stud pattern, that way you can use the vehicle spare on the van and vice versa. Mine has 17inch rims.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I optioned the 16" rims when I ordered mine back in march last year. The reason being that we were intending to head into some fairly remote places a long way from any tyre shops. My Pajero and the Expanda both run the same stud pattern (but with slightly different offsets) and this would allow me to use the van spare on the car in an emergency. I was also carrying 2 spares for the car and was travelling with others that were doing the same thing, so between us we had 6 spares if we really struck trouble a long way from help.
As it turned out, we didn't have a single tyre issue at all for the 23000k's we did.
As far as the tyres go, my van came with 245/70 x 16 GT Radial Savero A/T's whilst my mates came with Continental Cross-contact A/T's in the same size:mmph:

Matty

mike007

Aug 8, 2011
hi, make sure you do the maths to determine the diamater of the wheel/tyre assembly taking the different tyre profiles the put on the 15 and 16 inch wheels. I opted for the 16's as well but then calculated that because of the lower profile tyre they had on the 16 inch wheel made it the same overall diameter of the 15 inch wheel with a larger profile tyre, ie no gain in height at all. I guess different dealers would have different sizes on offer but my dealer wouldnt budge on getting a bigger tyre on there to offer any lift due to factory constraints they said.

Just my 2c worth

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Doggie mike is correct. There is two 16" options by memory one Is 245 and the other 265. The 245 offer no gain in height and the 265 offer about 20mm but arrantly won't fit in the spare position ! Won't matter of you are going to reposition the spare in a sensible spot.

My main reason to go 16 would be for the better availability of rubber for 16s. When I went looking there was more 16 rubber with a higher load rating available than 15's and that situation will only get worse as more vechiles go away from 15's. But the high load rating is more important on the single axle models

Quote from my post on Myswag "Bit of homework to do. Take the 16" wheels. The standard wheels are 235/75R15 the 16" options are 245/70R16 and cost $370 to upgrade, but work out the ratios, virtually no difference in rolling diameter? The next option is 265/70R16 which they want $495 for but then the spare doesn't fit the drawbar!"

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Geez, The only benefit I can see here is that you will have a broader range of rubber to choose from in the long term. I tend to agree with achjimmy choice is alot more benefical than no choice on rubber.

Thank U.

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
I opted for ther 16" on my 16.49 OB for the same reason. My Triton wheels will fit the van. I ordered my van last week and they quoted me $410 for the upgrade to 265/70 R16 for a set of 3!!

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
HI there, it is intersting reading this thread, as I was also going to option for th 245/70/16 tyre on the 17.56, was quoted $615 for five tyre upgrade. Not sure if I will go down this path now as the tug is a patrol with 17" tyres so there is no way the tyres are interchangeable. Might save the money and put it towards something else on the van.

Will make that decision when time comes.

Cheers Mick

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
HI there, it is intersting reading this thread, as I was also going to option for th 245/70/16 tyre on the 17.56, was quoted $615 for five tyre upgrade. Not sure if I will go down this path now as the tug is a patrol with 17" tyres so there is no way the tyres are interchangeable. Might save the money and put it towards something else on the van.

Will make that decision when time comes.

Cheers Mick

Mick

Did you get the 16 inch when you ordered? We had thought about it - but with the Prado - tyres are not interchangeable so will think we will save our money as well. We are still thinking about the hitch issue and anderson plug versus not

It appears we are looking at very similar extras - Which dealership did you end up by going with? We are trying to refine our list of extras before going back to any dealerships.

Cheers
BBM - gotta go kids tired and hungry!

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Mick

Did you get the 16 inch when you ordered? We had thought about it - but with the Prado - tyres are not interchangeable so will think we will save our money as well. We are still thinking about the hitch issue and anderson plug versus not

It appears we are looking at very similar extras - Which dealership did you end up by going with? We are trying to refine our list of extras before going back to any dealerships.

Cheers
BBM - gotta go kids tired and hungry!

Hi there BBMum,

We have not yet ordered the van yet, just waiting on sail of the Eagle.

We will go the 165/75/16 when we order, they are about $800 to get put on.

We will be going through Canobolas Caravan and Marine Centre in Orange.
The dealer will do the Anderson plug for us as a freeby.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
We just finalised all the additions yesterday and ordered the 16 245s the dealer told us they don't do the 265's any more primary reason was they are the same size and stud pattern as my Ranger that way we would have an extra spare

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
If you have the extended draw bar the larger 16 inch spare will fit - that's what we have.

Cheers

Bill

Doggie mike is correct. There is two 16" options by memory one Is 245 and the other 265. The 245 offer no gain in height and the 265 offer about 20mm but arrantly won't fit in the spare position ! Won't matter of you are going to reposition the spare in a sensible spot.

My main reason to go 16 would be for the better availability of rubber for 16s. When I went looking there was more 16 rubber with a higher load rating available than 15's and that situation will only get worse as more vechiles go away from 15's. But the high load rating is more important on the single axle models

Quote from my post on Myswag "Bit of homework to do. Take the 16" wheels. The standard wheels are 235/75R15 the 16" options are 245/70R16 and cost $370 to upgrade, but work out the ratios, virtually no difference in rolling diameter? The next option is 265/70R16 which they want $495 for but then the spare doesn't fit the drawbar!"