16.49.1 OB draw bar tool box & bike carrier design

AJC

Jul 1, 2012
ACT
FYI anyone interested.

Attached is a plan of a draw bar toolbox I'm having made for my standard draw bar.

It'll carry 1 x 9 kg gas (310mm D x 470 mm H), a 4.5 kg gas (250 D x 400H), a webber mini Q (710L x 370 W x 380 H) and a jerry can (160 W x 350 L x 470H) or two (as needed). Trying not to add too much extra draw bar weight, just space for stuff I don't want inside or won't fit in the tunnel.

It'll fit over the top of the spare (so I keep the pending heavier duty rear bumper free for a kids bike rack and pole holder). I took the grinder to the small top rail on the front tyre bracket so the spare sits flat in its bracket now rather than the nose up they come from the factory. Nothing else needed to be done; the clamp and nut work in the same place. Means the spare is an even 30 mm raised above the draw bar height rather than 60 mm raised at teh front, 30mm at the back.

Having the box over the spare means the box will need emptying then removing to get to the spare (4 x u-bolts / 8 nuts...a bit of time, no big deal..if i hate that i can make the spare tye bracket swing down like some others on here have).

It'll take 2 x roof rack style bike racks on the top so the adults bikes are carried up front, balancing the weight of the 3 x kids bikes off the back.

Importantly, as the open bed base to draw bar is 560mm, then the 490 mm box plus 60 mm bike rack leaves 10mm tolerance bwteen bike rack and bed base; only the bikes come off before the bed is opened. The bed base will need to be lifted to access inside the box once the bed is open - I can live with that, no particular dicfficulty and much cheaper than adding a front or side opening to the box.

It'll sit approx 20 mm forward of the front wall of the van. There is sufficient draw bar length from the hitch for the WDH chain clamps to fit.

MW Tool boxes in St Peters, Sydney is doing it for me. Good price, over 100% less than some other quotes; in the ball park of many off the shelf alloy boxes (and after much searching I couldn't find anything in the 1200 to 1500L x 480 to 500H x 450W range needed for the spot, all of which would have to have the access for the tyre cut and welded into the base, adding customisation costs to a standard box anyway).

Pictures coming once its made and fitted.

Correction to sketch: Expanda's are 2300 wide, i'd marked it 2100 wide, so the space between the 1400 box and the side of the van is 450mm, not 350. The front corner's shouldn't interfere with the turning circle, and if they do it will only be for very tight stuff, 70% to 90% so won't affect on road driving, just need to be careful with tight reversing.

Attachments

• 16.49.1 draw bar tool box spare underneath.pdf
    259.1 KB · Views: 1,444

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
That's pretty much what I want too.
Although I have thought of adding a front access door for when the bed's down for easier access.

I have ordered one of zerosecta's rear bars with the drop down spare carrier so I don't have to worry about removing the box to get at the spare.

AJC

Jul 1, 2012
ACT
Pictures finally - tool box and bike racks

I've finally taken some pictures of my handy work as follows.

These pics show 2 adult mountain bikes on top of the box. The bike racks are the ones Jayco sold me for my Swan's roof racks. They are bolted to the lid of the box. I removed the tyre brackets on them as they were to narrow for MTB tyres, only suited a road bike's tyres, and as they sat up approx 40mm they prevented the bed base from folding out flat. The bikes are supported by the locking arm as well as straps around the rims. For added travel security, given they are across the face of the van rather than in a straight line like on a roof rack, I rope the bikes on via 4 x eye bolts (Rhino rack accessories). The bikes don't move at all. Also, given they are right back on the draw bar (non extended DB), they don't get in the way of turning and jack-knife reversing of the van.

Attachments

• Box with bikes mounted 1.jpg
    Box with bikes mounted 1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,076
  • Box with bikes mounted 2.jpg
    Box with bikes mounted 2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Box with bikes mounted 3.jpg
    Box with bikes mounted 3.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Box with bikes mounted 4.jpg
    Box with bikes mounted 4.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 988
  • Box with bikes mounted 5.jpg
    Box with bikes mounted 5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 975
  • Box with bikes mounted 6.jpg
    Box with bikes mounted 6.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,007
  • Box with bikes mounted 7.jpg
    Box with bikes mounted 7.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 971
  • Box with bikes mounted 8.jpg
    Box with bikes mounted 8.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 941

AJC

Jul 1, 2012
ACT
1st pics show the side mounted regulator for the gas bottle - I have a 9kg on the left of the box; mid section carries the Webber Q and a Coleman lantern; right section carries a 4.5kg bottle for the Webber and a jerry can of diesel. The gas bottles are held in place by basic gas bottle holders bolted to the box.

2nd and 3rd pic shows the racks without bikes. To open the bed base, open the support arms out flat as folded in to the centre would cause them to sit too high and prevent the bed base opening flat.

4th pic sows approx 15mm gap between back of the box and front of van.

5th and 6th pics shows the U bolts I made using some threaded rod, flat plate and bolts to hold the box down. There are 4 of them. Had my van had twin gas holders, it would have been easier to drill through the box into the gas bottle brackets either side of the draw bar to mount the box. I didn’t want to drill long bolts down through the draw bar as I didn’t want to risk weakening the draw bar.

Those pics and the last pic shows that I had to grind off the small upper piece of steel RHS on the front tyre bracket - they tyre now sits flat rather than raised at the front. There is also sufficient room left on the standard draw bar for the WDH brackets, set back flush on the box if I had a standard Alko ball hitch (see white line on 6th pic), now slightly forward due to my McHicth hitch.

To access the spare I have to remove bikes, empty the box, undo the 8 bolts inside at the top of the 4 x U bolts, one bolt that goes through the 9 kg bottle holder down into the Jayco gas bottle base plate; and the regulator, lift the box off, then remove the spare; then replace it all. Makes for a slow tyre change but that’s no biggie. Eventually I’ll make the spare bracket hinged like another forumite did so access is easier and quicker.

Attachments

• Box with 1 inch gap to van.jpg
    Box with 1 inch gap to van.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 696
  • Box with no bikes 1.jpg
    Box with no bikes 1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 721
  • Box with no bikes 2.jpg
    Box with no bikes 2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 733
  • Box with side regulator.jpg
    Box with side regulator.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 700
  • Box with ubolt & tyre under 1.jpg
    Box with ubolt & tyre under 1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 679
  • Box with ubolt & tyre under 2.jpg
    Box with ubolt & tyre under 2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 656
  • Spare bracket with front bar removed for level spare.jpg
    Spare bracket with front bar removed for level spare.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 702
  • Gas bottle holder.jpg
    Gas bottle holder.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 445
Reactions: dazznat

AJC

Jul 1, 2012
ACT
Rear bumper and bike rack and pole holder.

I used 75 x 50 x 3mm gal RHS for the bumper and 50 x 50 x 3mm gal RHS for the support arms, plus 4 x 50mm gussets of 8mm plate (yet to paint the welds and gussets with some cold gal...ran out of time and fitted the bumper and pole holder pre-Flinders trip...will hit the welds and gussets with some rust kill and cold gal soon).

The support arms go into the standard Jayco bumper brackets. As they looked too light for the heavier bumper and bikes and pole carrier weight I drilled through the chassis and have 2 x side mounted bolts to complement the 2 bolts in the Jayco mounts. I thought about mounting the arms on top of the Jayco mounts like Zero does on his bumpers but that would have the bumper sitting too high and the pole holder wouldn't have fitted in as well (and impeded the lights and number plate).

Bike rack is a Pacific 4 bike rack - comfortably carries the 2 x kids bikes (later to be 3 once the baby is riding). I wanted to spread the weight of bikes between front and back so have 2 or 3 kids bikes out back and 2 adult bikes up front - better balance for the van. The bike rack base plate is bolted on rather than welded so when I’m set up camping and want to drive somewhere for a ride, I can easily remove the base plate and rack from the van and put it on the tow bar. I use some tie down straps from the bike rack to the rear bumper to lessen the bounce on the rack given its on the back of a van. I've been followed and by all accounts the rack sits firmly with little bounce.

Pole holder has 2 x van pole holders. Welds looked ordinary so for added security (Flinders ranges corrugations) I added the two stainless steel screw ties. No way I’ll lose the pole holder now.

Basic scketch for rear bumper attached if anyone is interested.

Edit: The placement of the support arms so they fitted the Jayco brackets along the 2300 bumper were: 368 mm / 50mm arm / 1464 mm / 50 mm arm / 368 mm = 2300mm

Attachments

• Rear bike rack with bikes.jpg
    Rear bike rack with bikes.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 729
  • Rear bike rack base plate 1.jpg
    Rear bike rack base plate 1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 730
  • Rear bumper with pole holder 2.jpg
    Rear bumper with pole holder 2.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 697
  • Rear bumper with pole holder 1.jpg
    Rear bumper with pole holder 1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 729
  • Rear bike rack base plate 2.jpg
    Rear bike rack base plate 2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 755
  • Rear bumper with pole holder 3.jpg
    Rear bumper with pole holder 3.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 686
  • Rear bumper with pole holder 4.jpg
    Rear bumper with pole holder 4.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 720
  • Gusset.jpg
    Gusset.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 701
  • Jayco bumper mounts with extra chassis bolts 1.jpg
    Jayco bumper mounts with extra chassis bolts 1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 737
  • Jayco bumper mounts with extra chassis bolts 2.jpg
    Jayco bumper mounts with extra chassis bolts 2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 699
  • Rear bumper sketch.pdf
    151.6 KB · Views: 342

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
AJC - you have put some decent thought into this project. Looks great.

What sort of weight did all the items add - toolbox, bike racks (front & rear) & rear bar?

Cheers,

Rohan

AJC

Jul 1, 2012
ACT
Weight...hmmm!

Tool box - approx 10 kgs; tool box gas brackets, eye bolts, u-bolts - approx 2kg; front bike racks - approx 6 kg; so lets say 20kgs added to the draw bar.

Then there is the stuff inside the tool box and the 2 x MTBs on top...(not counting the 9kg gas full at say 14kg) but add webber Q at say 10 kg; 4.5 kg gas full at say 8kg; 20 ltr full diesel jc at say 22kg; lantern and some other loose bits - say 10kg so approx 50kg in the box; add 2 x adult MTBs at say 15kgs each say 30 kg there; total of 100kg added to the front when fully laden.

Rear bar - remove say 15kg bar; replace with say 25kg bar - approx 10kg; bolts for rear bar and bike rack - approx 1 kg; bike rack base plate - approx 2 kg; bike rack - approx 10kg; pole holder - approx 3 kg; pole holder brackets - approx 1 kg; so lets say 26 kg added to the rear.

Then there is the annex and awning poles / spreaders / anti-flap bars say 10kg plus 2 x kids MTBs at 10 kg each, say 20 kg there, so total of 56 kg added to the rear when loaded.

I'm conscious of weight and insurance etc. I plan to create a spreadsheet of items carried in the van with weights so I can keep track of what its carrying. I'll also take a day off soon to take it over a weigh bridge loaded.

Lets just say i'll be using my full 300kg most of the time and the GCM of the Pajero and van when packed for an active family of 5...bikes, kayaks, surfboards, cloths, food n booze, water etc!

BTW, the Paj, with HD Lovell springs and Polyairbags and a Haymen Reece 600lb WDH (on the 8th link, 3 loose links) is handling it easily and towing nice and level.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Great job AJC.
You may have solved a problem I have with bikes. My bike is a mountain bike with fluid running in the cables as opposed to the older metal cable style. So where all the kids bikes travel on the more traditional hanging stile bike carrier, I dare not do that for the bike with fluid in the cables!!
Thus your design of carrying bikes on top of the toolbox may work wonderfully.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
My MTB is in the several thousand bucket and the last place I will be putting my bike on at the front of the van where it could\will get smashed by all manor of debris coming from the back wheels of the car... Just Saying... My bike only travels in two places - the roof of the car or the back of the car when no van attached.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Just FYI too, the standard rear bar weighs 8.5kg.
The reason I went for a Berns Beaks bike rack is so my 5 bikes are all carried on the towbar of the car and don't subtract from my vans payload. The Jeep has a 350kg ball limit so no issues there.

A lot of thought has gone into the overall design, well done.