15 amp issues

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi all, found this on fb today....interesting about the tagging!
Nice find Burnsy. Wonder how price compares to an Ampfibian?
As for lead testing and tagging, I do my own (I did the TAFE course and have access to a PAT unit).
I did get checked at Murray Bridge Showgrounds at Easter. Lots of van owners needed to pay (discounted $5 fee) for a test (or replace leads). The inspectors also checked what power vans were drawing from the power outlets and identified a few with dodgy wiring. Also very strict about where leads ran (possible trip hazards?). I had a long run and needed two leads, fortunately had a waterproof joiner that could be suspended off the ground.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Nice find Burnsy. Wonder how price compares to an Ampfibian?
As for lead testing and tagging, I do my own (I did the TAFE course and have access to a PAT unit).
I did get checked at Murray Bridge Showgrounds at Easter. Lots of van owners needed to pay (discounted $5 fee) for a test (or replace leads). The inspectors also checked what power vans were drawing from the power outlets and identified a few with dodgy wiring. Also very strict about where leads ran (possible trip hazards?). I had a long run and needed two leads, fortunately had a waterproof joiner that could be suspended off the ground.

Maybe you could do some tagging at a Vic meet.....a bit of pocket money! :)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Those units are around $80 Jaycar as opposed to the Ampfiban which is around $200+ mark, I have one of the original Ampfiban which is a lot different to the current one, It's a grey Clipsal box with the circut breaker in it with clear lid suitable for outdoor use.

Reactions: Xpandafan

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi all,

I have an electrical background but am not a sparky or specifically in that trade so can not comment on the legal side (other than to itterate that modification of cables or current installations is not the way to go (illegal and dangerous) licensed tradesman required).

Both the Jaycar and Ampfibian should provide 10amp protection to the power point and attached wiring. This will mean that if under full load your caravan exceeds 10 amps you will trip the breaker. In addition these devices may provide RCD (electricution protection for contact with active power and earth) mainly for the cable to the caravan 240V distribution (which should also have a RCD device).

As stated on the ampfibian site house circuit breakers are there to protect internal wiring that is capable of providing > 10 amps to a number of 10 amp sockets. By having a 10 amp socket it means that the power point is only expecting 10 amps (not 15).

So the filed down 10amp cord will overload the power point and the cable and possibly cause them to be damaged. I have seen the results of over-current in a power point and they do melt.

For my money the 15A power point in the shed is legal and allows me to run all of the van if I need to check or test, and also welders etc.

An ampfibian (or other) is helpful for connection, but may not run everything (especially for big vans) and allows you to legally and safely connect at friends places when travelling.

Note that the above discussion applies to both standard loads and fault loads. The wiring rules are there to protect when there is a fault (just as much as normal conditions). If you have a fault that causes an over current in the van from say 8 amps to 14 amps, then with the filed down cable you are over rating it even though the caravan should not draw 14 amps. If this occurs when you are not home then the cable and power point will stay in the over rated condition and possibly fail.

Finally all of this is based on reducing the probability of a failure causing a catastrophic event and keeping things within their rating.

Hope this helps

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
The Jaycar unit is for "internal" use only - that is, it is not rated to be placed outside where it could be exposed to any moisture, dust, dirt, etc.

The Amp-fibian RV-02 is IP 44 rated (Weatherproof), so this means that it is suitable for internal & external (rain/general weather/dust) use - hence the price difference.

Personally, we have gone for the Amp-fibian RV-02 as it offers flexibility at home and while travelling.