15 amp issues

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Please excuse my seemingly stupidity, but ive just returned from a long and arduous but exciting handover, and completely have forgotton the stuff around using the 15 amp extension lead.

How am i supposed to hook into the power supply at home? Do i need a 15 amp safety box so i can plug the van in at home?

Feeling somewhat stupid!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Please excuse my seemingly stupidity, but ive just returned from a long and arduous but exciting handover, and completely have forgotton the stuff around using the 15 amp extension lead.

How am i supposed to hook into the power supply at home? Do i need a 15 amp safety box so i can plug the van in at home?

Feeling somewhat stupid!

Not stupid every question is a chance to learn and I didn't remember where I even put the keys at hand over 1 so I now take the memory bank (MrsExpanda) to all hand overs :)!

So 15amp is a differnt plug and yes to plug it in and run everything on your van you will need a new plug put in by a licensed electrician.

There is a device called Ampfibian which will legally in some states convert 15amp to 10amp but you will limited in what appliances you can run and how many at one time.

See here -

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/15-amp-lead-to-van.2065/

For me at 40k+ for the van and $200 for the electrician to put in a new plug it was a no question deal for protection of the investment if that makes sense.

But people like the ampfibian for portability when travelling and staying in other places!

Let us know how you get along.....

Reactions: greynt

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
Cost me $150 for a waterproof 15a powerpoint on the side of the house with the appropriate stuff in the meter box ( its a separate circuit) luckily for me though the van lives beside the meter box so the point is just underneath.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Gees I must've got gipped. I paid $350 for a 15AMP plug for the spa. The meter box is on the other side of the house though.
Those Ampfibians look like the go though.
cheers Deano

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
WHat risk is there converting the male end to 10 amp?

Its a touchy subject but essentially it is -

a) Illegal to modify the electrical cable

b) If you overload / set something alight then your insurance is void

c) You could injury yourself or some one else

For the cost of putting a power point in to protect your investment or getting your hand on the amp fibian I would spend the dollars on that vs risk your investment.

There will be a raft of differing opinions on this subject though.

That said and just a note to anyone else please keep your comments on subject that the fact is that it is illegal to do this mod and any comments contrary to this will be removed.

Not trying to be a party popper but we do not condone modding the electrical cable as we don't want anyone causing injury to either their person or personal property coming from advice received on the forum :)!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Yep, x 2 on Expandas comments above!

Amp-fibian for us. We wanted something portable so we can plug in anywhere. We got ours from caravan and rv world online and paid $220. More money well spent I reckon!

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
I don't understand the ruling on the 15amp debate most of the extension leads you buy from all the larger hardware stores don't run a size conducted you need for 15 amps .
And at the length they are made at, they don't meet the standards for voltage drop either.
But these stores are allowed to import them and no authorities seem to care but you are not allowed to make a 10 to 15 amp adapter lead with the correct size cable
stupid rule but the rules are the rules
E14

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
I understand this is a contentious issue, but when you haven't onwed a van before and have little sparky knowledge, you cant ignore the fact that your 15 amp plug wont fit in your 10amp socket no matter how hard you try, and you need people to be mature and discuss it, not hide from difficult issues.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Josh, I don't think anyone is hiding from the issues. It's just that the forum admin/mods don't want members advising other members illegal ways of doing this.

We have an ampfibian RV-02 ourselves purely for the fact that we can use it at friends/family houses if needed. If you use the search function you will see there has been plenty of discussion on this.

Also, it is interesting to note that the basic ampfibian (which is no longer on their webside) is not approved for use in Qld just the RV-02.

There is more FAQ on the Amfibian web site tha may interest you http://ampfibian.com.au/faq/

Reactions: expanda

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I understand this is a contentious issue, but when you haven't onwed a van before and have little sparky knowledge, you cant ignore the fact that your 15 amp plug wont fit in your 10amp socket no matter how hard you try, and you need people to be mature and discuss it, not hide from difficult issues.

As andrea said we just don't want people talking about anything that is illegal and could potentially cause harm and for a variety of other reasons.

Happy for the discussion to continue was just pointing out to others that I don't want to entertain any discussion around illegal mods as they can detract from the real conversation.

Apologies if any offence was taken but that is not the intention just want to keep the thread on track for you so you can obtain the best advice and not get bogged down!

Josh, I don't think anyone is hiding from the issues. It's just that the forum admin/mods don't want members advising other members illegal ways of doing this.

We have an ampfibian RV-02 ourselves purely for the fact that we can use it at friends/family houses if needed. If you use the search function you will see there has been plenty of discussion on this.

Also, it is interesting to note that the basic ampfibian (which is no longer on their webside) is not approved for use in Qld just the RV-02.

There is more FAQ on the Amfibian web site tha may interest you http://ampfibian.com.au/faq/

Cheers Andrea ;) some good information as always!