14' Series 14.44-4 Outback Coming - I blame yous all!

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. After talking myself in and out of it for months, I'm finally slapping down the hard earned in the morning to take advantage of the free solar deal. We are moving up from our 98 Finch Outback (what great memories). Now the kids are 6 and 4 its getting a bit squeezy for them to share the bed (not to mention us!). We all fell in love with bunk bed model of the little Expanda when we first saw it last year. Discovered this forum ages ago and all your brilliant posts and experiences have really helped cement the decision.

Of course we've talked ourselves up from the sensible base model we were first thinking about. Thought about underslung but ended up deciding on the 14.44-4 Outback (it just looks so good!) with the following:

• Awning
  • 150L fridge
  • Sparrow roof top air
  • Hot Water system with external shower
  • Gas Bayonet
  • Privacy Screen
  • Reading light on top bunk
  • Solar panel and battery

We might still add the extra water tank and gas bottle but I'm a bit worried about the ball weight. Current tug has limit of 150kg so we'll be close to that if not slightly over. Might need to upgrade before the van arrives (unfortunately ... love the Landy - Freelander 2 diesel).

As well as the free solar, we've got the price way down so pretty pleased. Don't know how we'll last 'til December delivery!

Thanks again for all your inspiration and info, look forward to being an active member.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Congratulations and welcome albo42, :welcome:
The wait is a killer, but I'm sure worth it. I think it helps all of us appreciate the expanda that little bit more when she finally arrives. We have 8 weeks down with about 4 to go.
Enjoy.

Jas

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Good choice albo

Yes the wait is a killer.I get my 14.44.4 O/B on Tuesday after waiting since mid April. December is not too far away.
As you are getting the hot water system fitted I would go with the second water tank and gas bottle.It's cheaper factory fitted and they will up your payload amount to allow for it. 300kg std payload changed to 375kg with tank fitted. I have done this to mine.I found that most things are cheaper factory fitted.
Cheers

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
Thanks guys, the deal is done, 1st week of December delivery. Took your advice JDove, and got the second gas and water tanks, and spur of the moment also added the Winegard antenna and an external TV outlet (even though we have a no TV on holidays rule, I missed out on the last State of Origin when we were camped at Mooloolabah so have to rethink that rule...).

So I ended whacking on another $900 of extras when it came to crunch, but he only charged $300 bucks more (good bloke that Terry at Jayco Canberra). Think I got a great deal which is always a good feeling.

The only thing I don't like about the panda is the table height is too low - does anyone know if you can order a higher one, or any other solutions? I forgot to ask today.

And all the best for Tuesday JDove - make sure you give us a good run down with pics when you can! Wish I still lived up in your part of the world - you got a shake down trip planned?

Albo

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Good work alboe

I also got the windup tv antenna and extra outlet,we also dont take a tv just had it fitted mostly for resale when the time comes.

The table is supposed to be higher now as I also complained about the height and have been told Jayco have now raised it.My brother inlaw has the same van which he got last December and he also complained and Jayco have just sent him a new longer leg and mounting kit to lift it up (DIY kit)
Our shake down trip is drive up to Bundaberg (about 4hrs north) with the Prado fully loaded ,pick up the van and stay in bundy for a couple of days and then just head north or west or???? for the next ten days,We just have to be home the Saturday before school starts for the start of the u14 cricket season.
Cheers

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Hi there Albo,

I too have a 14.44-4 and like yourself was worried about the table heigh. I wasleasantly surprised when we took delivery it was much higher than the display model at the dealer. I would they must have heeded so e wise advise and fixed the problem. I actually posting this from said table from a caravan park in Kalgoolie.......that Nallabour is a bloodly long way from Melbourne!

And don't worry the wait will be worth it. Think of this way you have plenty of time to get together a good long list of mods and improvements you will make once you take delivery.

Welcome and enjoy your new toy....

Dazz

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
THanks guys, and hope you are right about the table height JDove and Dazz, the 2 that came into the showroom during the week looked the same to me. I'll see if there is anything I can do on Monday. The table in the 18.59 caravan looks much better for a similar dinette size - wonder if I could get one of those fitted - probably a long shot.

I'm also doing a quick survey of 14.44-4 o/b stamped ball weights - Moto's is 140 kg, at the dealer in Coffs one is 147 and the other 157, and the one in Canberra is 147. What's yours Dazz - sounds like you've got similar options? I know it will go up once loaded. I'm just trying to see if the 150 kg limit on my diesel Freelander 2 is feasible for the short term. Its infinitely more capable (118 kw and 400 nm) at towing than the X Trail I had that had a 200kg ball limit and which dropped a mile at the back even with my 830 kg tare finch attached!

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Agree with Moto, ther 14.44-4 are a great thing. The only layout that would be better would be a 16 in the same layout. I reckon that would become Jaycos #1 seller.....

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Agree with Moto, ther 14.44-4 are a great thing. The only layout that would be better would be a 16 in the same layout. I reckon that would become Jaycos #1 seller.....

Agreed and if the storage areas at each end of the bunks were removed I would have thought about it rather then the 17. But then again I now have 17 and it's kinda like 11 but it's 17....:lol:

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Yeah or an 18. Gets tiring walking from one end to the other though, so they all have their downsides.

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
I agree - the 16 foot with fixed bunks at the back and you'd fit the bathroom in - the perfect set up for us. Its only a matter of time I reckon. I'll be so don't be rude off if they release that for 2013!

Still, I do like that the 14 foot is small and maneuverable, and should get over bush tracks better than a big rig. I'm also not fit enough to do all that walking in an 18' van!

And thanks Dazz, yeah that sounds about right with the ball weight and what I'm expecting - I'm surprised Moto's is so much lower when he has similar options - perhaps some of the heavier bits like the hws or battery are mounted further back?

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Welcome Albo to the forum!

That wait is a killer. We ordered our 16.49-3 at the start of July and picked up 2 weeks ago. Your wait seems a little longer than ours was.

Our choices were between the 14.44.5 and the 16. Our requirement was the shower. We have one little girl and could have gotten away with the 14 but would have been lowering the table every night. That was our decision maker. One feature I really really like in the 14 models is the under bench basket. I think that is a great idea.

I reckon you would be right in saying if they did a 16 with bunks down the back and a shower it would be their top seller.

Enjoy the forum in the mean time until collection and then enjoy the van and the forum :first:

Ants

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
Thanks Ants, man that was quick. Yep, with one kid you've got the bathroom and bedding covered in the 16 footer. To get bunks and the bathroom we would have had to go to the 17.56 or 18.57 which are just too big for me. Our 2 are sick of sharing the bed in the Finch, and once they saw the bunks (with the cute cupboards and shelves and windows and curtains and lights!), there was nothing else that would do. With no kids, the 14 foot with ensuite would be brilliant. Still, with the market for body parts the way it is I guess we'd better hang on to the kids

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi albo42

Just thought I would let you know we have our van now and with twin gas bottles, twin water tanks and roof mounted A/C the ball weight is stamped at 150kg. The van is great well worth the wait.
Cheers

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
Hi albo42

Just thought I would let you know we have our van now and with twin gas bottles, twin water tanks and roof mounted A/C the ball weight is stamped at 150kg. The van is great well worth the wait.
Cheers

Great to hear jdove. So glad you're enjoying it and thanks for letting me know about the ball weight - ours should be very similar. Still tossing up whether to keep the current tug. How's your table height? Enjoy! Al