12v Socket not working

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
12v Socket not working - UPDATE NOW FIXED

Hi All,

The 12v socket next to the door isn't working. It appears as though there's no power to the socket. I've checked the fuses in the Setec and they're all OK.

Will I find fuses in another location? Or any other tips to try and diagnose what the problem is?

8166436555_e403692093.jpg

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
my external on the old Eagle did not work either and the issue seemed to be "in wall" so i just left it, warranty claim?

Roh

Oct 26, 2010
Mornington Peninsula VIC
Hey Mrhappi
Only suggestion I would have would be to trace it as far as you can so if it runs through a cupboard or behind fridge, try and see where it goes. I dont think that there are any other locations for a fuse, at least in my van there aren't.
Has it ever worked??
Few other things u could try.
Ensure multimeter is on DC Volts and check the connections in the socket itself
Pull out the setec unit and make sure nothing has come loose there
Hope this helps out
Roh

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah I had a look. It runs into the cupboard, then the other wires from outside (I assume this is for the outside light - which does work) run into the conduit. Ofcourse all the wires are the same colour (either yellow or white).
Then the conduit runs down the back of the cupboard to the floor; then runs around the perimeter of the van, under the bed up the other side to the Setec.

Guess I might have to pull the Setec out for a look - which doesn't look like an easy task :(

Roh

Oct 26, 2010
Mornington Peninsula VIC
Mrhappi
Other thing that you could check is between the cables and the chassis of the van. Possible that the negative has gone amiss. If you can trace the cables back to the setec, is it possible to run a new set of cables.
Have you tested the socket for power with the outside light on?? It could have been hooked up incorrectly.
It can be so annoying when trying fault find, I wish you all the best.
Cheers
Roh

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yep sounds like you may need to look behind the setec unit. I would also reconfirm that you definitely have no blown fuses in the setec unit. Use your multimeter on the ohms setting and place each probe on a pin of the fuse. You should get a reading near 1.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Is that wiring original jayco or aftermarket? Could it come off the light circuit and only comes on if the switch is on?

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
The setec seems to be a common theme but I have to ask you mentioned that is wired back to the exterior light and piggy backed from there?

Is that correct?
no, they're not joined, my bad explanation, sorry. The pos/neg from the ciggie socket run into conduit, then a few inches away the outside wires run into the same conduit.

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
Is that wiring original jayco or aftermarket? Could it come off the light circuit and only comes on if the switch is on?
Looks original, and I tried with the light on but got nothing :(

Looks like I'll have to pull the Setec out...

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey MrHappi, great name. Not going to ask how you got it though... :wink:

If you are taking the Setec unit out or if you are checking fuses, make sure you are doing it with the 240Vac power off to the van. Safety First!!!

Another thing to check is that this hasn't been connected to the car plug part of the 12Vdc system. The socket could have been connected to the towing supply from the plug (Anderson or 12 pin). Some people have a socket powered direct from the tow vehicle for a portable freezer so they can sit it on the floor next to the door while travelling. It could have been piggybacked off the 12Vdc circuit to the fridge. You can take the external cover off the back of the fridge and check the connections there...

Roh is spot on talking about the negative connection so test continuity between the negative and to the frame. At least you will get an idea if the circuit is connected somewhere.

There have been a few posts in the past regarding the crimps not being too good either at the Setec or other places so (with the power off) have a good look at the Setec connections and wiggle them around to check they are crimped properly. Bad connections over time become open connections...

Just keep looking, it will be there somewhere even if it means getting someone to help you jiggle wires in the conduits while you trace them back to the source.

Hope this works out for you.

Cheers

Reactions: mrhappi

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
I agree with what has already been said, and I think you will have to take out the Setec unit, boots' instructions are excellent. Also, before taking out the Setec, make sure you also diconnect the battery as well as the 240v. You can probably carefully reconnect the battery after it is out, but it will save any potential shorts while you are jiggling the Setec out of it's housing.

Another tip that might help, try and work out which fuse / circuit in the Setec drives which 12 volt devices. You can do this by turning on everything 12v in the van, and pulling out each fuse one at a time and take notice of what turns off, and make a note of it for future reference.

Do you have any other 12 volt sockets inside or outside the van? I ended up with 4 12 volt sockets (i only asked for 1 extra), but they were wired such that they all piggy back off each other, 5 wires all twisted together and forced into one screw terminal. I have since fixed this, but if they have done something similar in yours, that terminal (if you can find it) might be the problem.

Jason

Reactions: mrhappi

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
Thanks a whole bunch you guys. Particularly for the safety tips!!
36_11_23[1].gif

Grinner - this is the only 12v point in the van - which I'll have to do something about in the future. Definitely need a couple of points near the beds + one externally.

This weekends our first outing in the van, we'll be playing it safe at a powered site, so next week's project will be pull the Setec out. Thanks for the link boots!!

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
Guys, just an update - I knocked off work a little earlier today so thought I might as well have a crack at the Setec.

Happy to report I had some success :whoo:

Following boots instructions the unit came apart to plan, even though the black plastic cover was a bit hard to shift. Low and behold I drop the Setec out and there's a thick yellow wire hanging loose. I used some pliers to tighten up the crimp, slipped it back on, connected the battery and woolah 12v power...

...well sort of. I plugged something in and blew a fuse straight away! Eventually traced the problem to the socket, looks like I'd reconnected the wires the wrong way last night. :embarassed:

Anyway - we got there in the end thanks to the help of you guys. Owe you one!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Well done mrhappi, you were lucky with the reverse polarity! I wired another 12V socket for the 19" LCD tv in the other van we had, when I finished I didn't bother checking polarity with meter as I thought I had it right....guess what, I was wrong and blew the power supply for the telly.....cost me $80 to fix! Needless to say I check with meter now! :)

Cheers.

Roh

Oct 26, 2010
Mornington Peninsula VIC
Dont mean to hijack a thread but Electric Guru, where did you capture your lighting shot in your profile pic?
I took mine near Rockingham, about an hour south of Perth during a ripper WA thunderstorm.
Cheers Roh