Electrical 12 volt sockets not working

BBBFLASH

Jun 20, 2016
Coffs Harbiur
Hi guys, apologies for not getting a "my caravan is the greatest" thread up and running. It is coming, just too busy working and using it every weekend. One of the things that we have noticed is that only one of the 4 12 volt sockets are working. The one that is working powers the TV and I am guessing that this is wired differently to send power with either 12v or 240. None of the others are working. Thursday I will be climbing around the caravan looking into this, but as it stands, We have a 100amp hour battery which I believe is wired to an after market battery charger which might run to the car via an aderson plug. I hope this is the cas as it would/might mean that I can plug a solar panel in and chard the battery? The fridge might be wired to the battery as there was a slight flick in the lights when I turned It to the 12v setting.

What should I be looking for when chasing some of these wires? I'll check the fuses first, but I am not sure which fuse is which and will need to test a few. What are the reasons someone would install an after market battery charger on and keep the Jayco one? Is it weird that the battery light stays on when plugged into mains and the mains light is on?

Love to hear your guys thoughts and I'll send through any updates on Thursday.

Cheers guys.

Bobby.

Ps loving the caravan!!!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi @BBBFLASH and welcome.

The first place to check would be the fuse panel which is behind the little door on the front of the SETEC pwer supply.

There are a number of different 12v circuits, and its possible that you have a blown fuse on the one controlling the 12v sockets.

setec.jpg

Reactions: bigcol and Rockape

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We had a similar problem, caused by using a lightweight multiple 12v panel extension. Found that only one of the sockets worked at a time. Load from any more simply stopped it all.

Had the wiring tested and better 12v sockets installed properly (wiring didn't need replacing)...Narva sockets from memory.

Things were fine after that....so are you using multiple sockets or good quality ones?

That might be worth checking.

16.49.3 is a great van .....you have good taste!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Fuse labels may not be correct so check which fuse is which..........................Black wires are positive, White wires are negative on Jayco wiring but other devices will usually have the normal Red /positive, Black/Negative so it pays to test first.................best way to test things is to disconnect from 240 completely, then you know if the 12v feed from battery is working properly and not a feed from Setek unit.

BBBFLASH

Jun 20, 2016
Coffs Harbiur
We had a similar problem, caused by using a lightweight multiple 12v panel extension. Found that only one of the sockets worked at a time. Load from any more simply stopped it all.

Had the wiring tested and better 12v sockets installed properly (wiring didn't need replacing)...Narva sockets from memory.

Things were fine after that....so are you using multiple sockets or good quality ones?

That might be worth checking.

16.49.3 is a great van .....you have good taste!
I couldn't tell you what the sockets are. I do know that none of them are working. We are either working or using it to go dog trialling. There hasn't been any time to sit down and inspect or go over things yet. That might change this weekend as mid north coast is getting hammered. I will have a look. Thanks for your advice. I want to put a few more in with USBs for the phones and in other areas. So far, we have loved the van! Can't wait to take it out bush and really enjoy it and take a few adventures in it. One small fix/change at a time will get it there.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you are using those multi socket units especially the USB jobs, you will find they will only provide "X" amount of amp/volts so using all the sockets will mean you won't be getting the power you want................also if you wire up 12v sockets off the one circuit you usually can't draw of all of them at the same time unless you have wired it yourself using higher rated cable.

Reactions: dagree

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
The additional sockets may have been wired up directly to the battery and may have a fuse, which is blown or an isolation switch located near the battery. They may have been hooked up to a vacant terminal on the Setec power supply, as I have done with mine.
Cheers
Nick

Aug 20, 2016
Yackandandah
Hi @BBBFLASH and welcome.

The first place to check would be the fuse panel which is behind the little door on the front of the SETEC pwer supply.

There are a number of different 12v circuits, and its possible that you have a blown fuse on the one controlling the 12v sockets.

View attachment 44138

Hi,is there a diagram for the fuses? I have the same problem but don't know which fuse to replace.... I have a 2016 OB 14ft

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi,is there a diagram for the fuses? I have the same problem but don't know which fuse to replace....
Sorry @Craig and Leanne .... But the words wiring diagram and caravans have never been used in the same sentence before by manufacturers :peep:

Mine has some of the circuits written inside the door, but when I've blown fuses it's usually just via a process of elimination trying one at a time.
Was checking ours out a while back and also discovered that they couldn't even get the little dots on the setec's label correct..... I ended up pulling the fuses out one at a time to work out which one protected what!!!!! Mind you I still have to get around to making up a new label to suit 8-)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Good. A boring, painful job but successful.

What was the problem? (In case it happens to me!)

Reactions: bigcol