Wee Jasper Reserve

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I noticed there hasn't been a dedicated thread on Wee Jasper Reserve. Perhaps those who go there have been keeping it under wraps. Well time to blow the lid on this place.

Here are the respective links to their facebook page and website which has a heap of info and photos.

Overall it is a great spot with three separate campgrounds, on the banks of the Goodradigbee River and Micalong Creek.

I think Micalong Creek is the pick and is where I always go. You can take the dog, have fires (not during summer though), great swimming (bring a lilo/rubber tube) to float down the river. Take the mountain bikes as well.
Also a pair of 'wet shoes; will make it so more enjoyable for the kids to walk through the river without hitting their toes or copping some glass in the foot.

The Goodradigbee River runs well when the height is above 0.8m. Check here for the current height.

You can also visit the nearby Carey's Caves.

In regard to access for caravans there are no issues. The road to Wee Jasper is completely sealed. There is some narrow sections and steep decents, but take it slow and all will be fine.
The road between Billy Grace campground and Micalong Creek is unsealed and pretty dusty, but is worth it.

Anyway here are some pics from my trips here over the years.

Micalong Campground from lookout above the waterhole.
CES_8232.JPG

Looking up Micalong Creek, camping areas either side.
DSC01330.JPG

Rapiding down Micalong Creek.
CES_8060.JPG

Micalong Creek waterhole.
CES_8302.JPG

Goodradibee River at Swinging Bridge Campground. Just watch the kids here, when river is flowing well not ideal for them.
DSC00383.JPG

Micalong Creek campground (southern side).
_CES1314-04Oct2015-6614.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Would have stopped there this run but the weather ended up yucky, now I can see what I missed out on..........was looking to see what has changed since my last visit in 1969........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Does it look like much has changed @Drover? Obviously people are not visiting in their horse and carts anymore.:behindsofa:

Mate !!!!!!!! back then it was Landrover country all the way, wasn't interested in the fishing we went for the caving, no WHS BS we had carbide lights and new fangled battery operated head lamps attached to helmets borrowed from our Dads who were Wangawilli miners............2 man tents made of canvas unless you had a overtime king for a Dad and you could afford a nylon tent.
Oh !!!! Great memories of just plain FUN and adventure, real adventure, death was a possibly an option and we took precautions but not Nanny State rubbish like today.................good training if we had to wear Green later on.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
We've camped at Swinging Bridge campground for about the past 4 Easters and think it's a great spot. Agree with @BigSkiddy that Micalong is probably the pick of the camping areas, but it gets very crowded at Easter. The layout of Swinging Bridge means it tends not to be as crowded.

Reactions: Drover