expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Just thought I would bump this up....

Okay, so I have found the following information -

ARB only rate the canopy @ 100kg's even with the internal bracing.

EGR, rate the canopy at 150kg's using there own custom built and designed roof rack and internal braces (Still confirming if its compatabile with Rhino commercial fittings) but the best bit is they advertise there roof rack setup quite heavily and that it has 150kg's capactiy so have more experience in it.

Flexiglass apparently rates at 150kg's but its not easy to find the information out.

So for anyone wanting 150kg's load limit on the canopy Flexi or EGR is the one to be looking at....

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Another thing to consider though is how the internal bracing is mounted as there has been a few stories of the front of tubs cracking in the corners. Not a really common problem but has happened.

Dice

Jan 20, 2013
The razorback canopy when fitted with the Rhino track system is rated to 150kg there is no internal bracing required
also have a look at SMM canopy exactly the same as Razorback but considerably cheaper sold through Opposite Lock stores
image_zps84951844.jpg
image_zpsb4f8bd56.jpg

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Thanks for that!

I have sent a request to razorback but they haven't responded :(!

After reading Rhino Racks installation instruction whilst waiting for razorback to reply the commercial bar setup indicated that you get 100kg's from each pair of roof rack bars.

One would assume then to achieve 150kg's you would need 3 bars?

Could be wrong but just what I read on the online install instructions on the commercial bar setup on Rhino's site.

Dice

Jan 20, 2013
Not sure I rang Razorback and was told with the track 150kg I ended up going SMM canopy saved about $800 for the same canopy just no razorback badge. I have a Blackwidow alloy trade rack fitted as they use the Rhino feet to fit

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have the Flexiglass sport and it is a great looking, functional canopy with central locking.
Flexi told me that it will hold 150kg, but on further discussion with installers apparently it is only ACTUALLY rated at around 40-70kg. In the end I couldnt find a rating in writing anywhere. I suspect Flexi is letting their marketing overtake their R and D. I would definitely not put too much weight on the canopy. I have my rig set up so that most weight goes on the vehicle (100kg rating) and the canopy just hold any extra length.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I have the Flexiglass sport and it is a great looking, functional canopy with central locking.
Flexi told me that it will hold 150kg, but on further discussion with installers apparently it is only ACTUALLY rated at around 40-70kg. In the end I couldnt find a rating in writing anywhere. I suspect Flexi is letting their marketing overtake their R and D. I would definitely not put too much weight on the canopy. I have my rig set up so that most weight goes on the vehicle (100kg rating) and the canopy just hold any extra length.

Cheers mate, I liked your canopy when I saw it and was sold on a Flexi Glass.

But and its a big but I need the 150kg limit for the boat gear, probably will only use 130kg but if I get a double cab I am aiming for the 150kg canopy so I can store what I need on the roof.

I got in touch with Flexi and basically they said on Flexi Sport it is rated 100kg's and no more even with the internal bracing.

If you have the Tradsemen or Premier canopy then you can install "FlexiRack" which gives you a 150kg limit and is a product they produce. But there is not much information about FlexiRack on the web or there website at all so its a bit hard to read up on or get some form of guarantee.

All I could find is -

http://www.bta4wd.com/category712_1.htm

And point 8 -

http://www.flexiglass.com.au/warranty-information

On the other hand the EGR canopy is rated at 150kg's and EGR puts this information on their website -

http://www.egrauto.com/product/egr-heavy-duty-150kg-canopy-roof-racks

And on contacting EGR canopies they sent me some technical specs of the bar setup etc and they really knew what they where talking about.

So for me as much as I like the Flexi Glass canopy i will probably get the EGR canopy so I can get the 150kg's weight limit.

I am waiting on a response on the steel canopies but again they don't really publicise there capacity other than being tested to 400kg but only rated to 100kg.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Something to think about is the twist in the canopy when the roof is loaded and the van is on the back with wdh at weird angles. I was loading mine during the week and the van was on an awkward slope and the kayak on the roof, I noticed the rear canopy glass was tighter than normal so I drove it off the site on level ground and the glass shut fine. Made me think their must be a slight chassis twist on twin cabs in extreme circumstances. Anyway just my observation.

Reactions: cruza driver

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Just in the middle of an interesting conversation with Razorback canopies...

Basically they said there canopy is only rated to 100kg's regardless and that I should reconsider putting anything on my roof over 100kg's as its dangerous.

Rather an interesting comment from them!

Obviously I will not be buying a steel canopy!

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Not sure what dual cab you’re looking at @expanda but with 150kg for the top alone make sure it's got plenty of carrying capacity and upgraded suspension for all your kit... and plenty of torque to move it all...

I looked at the tinny on canopy roof idea and gave up because my rig would be pushed well over the it’s carry capacity with the extras on top of what I already carry. Was given the same advice - to keep the heavy loads in the tub and minimise weight on the vehicles roof or canopy racks.

You might have already picked up that 2 cross bars on a canopy and 1 or two on the roof for loading boats is not a good idea due to the movement between the two.

@maccayak is right, there is definitely twist before you load up the canopy roof. On uneven terrain and weird angles I can hear my canopy and tray creek and groan when putting on and taking off the WDH bars and the van.

I’ll have to forgo the tinny until I get a wagon. I ended up putting heavy duty rhino roof racks (pop riveted to the tug roof) and aluminium cargo tray in a bid to keep more weight over the centre of the ute when carting extra gear for remote touring.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Not sure what dual cab you’re looking at @expanda but with 150kg for the top alone make sure it's got plenty of carrying capacity and upgraded suspension for all your kit... and plenty of torque to move it all...

I looked at the tinny on canopy roof idea and gave up because my rig would be pushed well over the it’s carry capacity with the extras on top of what I already carry. Was given the same advice - to keep the heavy loads in the tub and minimise weight on the vehicles roof or canopy racks.

You might have already picked up that 2 cross bars on a canopy and 1 or two on the roof for loading boats is not a good idea due to the movement between the two.

@maccayak is right, there is definitely twist before you load up the canopy roof. On uneven terrain and weird angles I can hear my canopy and tray creek and groan when putting on and taking off the WDH bars and the van.

I’ll have to forgo the tinny until I get a wagon. I ended up putting heavy duty rhino roof racks (pop riveted to the tug roof) and aluminium cargo tray in a bid to keep more weight over the centre of the ute when carting extra gear for remote touring.

Hey there,

Looking at a Holden Colorado / BT50 so plenty of grunt and already carry it on the roof of the pathfinder effortlessly.

My intention is not to carry the full 150kg's constantly but rather have it available to me as required.

The boat and boat loader weighs in at about 98kg's or so and that is the main weight that will go on the roof.

I only carry the boat on the way to a destination and then it comes of the roof and onto a trailer and then is trailered on its own collapsible trailer to the boat ramp so its probably only on the roof 5% of every trip we do.

But if I want to chuck up to 10kg's worth of gear on the odd occasion as well as the boat like an empty fuel tank etc than I would like the ability to do so.

I have the pathfinder currently and I am limited to the flat 100kg's so moving to a ute for this additional load capacity in particular as well as the additional carry capacity 1T+ compared to a 750kg's of the Pathfinder.

The maker of my boat and boat loader have advised I can either have the boat loader solely on the canopy (my intention) or if I want to share the load on the roof of the car they make special brackets to accommodate the free movement between the cabin and canopy.

The span between the back and front cross bar of the current boat loader on the Pathfinder rails is only 1.2M so it should fit solely on top of the canopy.

They have also done this conversion many times this is the same company (This one is a bit longer than mine) -

IMGP1705.JPG

EGR Canopies also has details on there website of a boat loader -

http://www.egrgroup.com/blog/egr-canopies-and-canopy-racks-proven-tough-performers/

So yes if forking out 3k+ for a canopy I want the 150kg's in case I need it :)!

And thanks for all the advice thus far!

Last edited:

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hello @expanda
Haven't spoken to you in a while but I too have the 2013 Colorado now and have no complaint's yet. It tows the 20.63-1OB no problems and with a reasonable fuel consumption compared to the old NS Pajero.
Thinking about the boat loader I would put some of the load on the cabin as well as the canopy just to be on the safe side for the boat loader.
I am very keen to see how your set up unfolds because I too have been keen for a boat topper.
Talk to ya soon

Skip

Last edited:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hello @expanda
Haven't spoken to you in a while but I too have the 2013 Colorado now and have no complaint's yet. It tows the 20.63-1OB no problems and with a reasonable fuel consumption compared to the old NS Pajero.
Thinking about the boat loader I would put some of the load on the cabin as well as the canopy just to be on the safe side for the boat loader.
I am very keen to see how your set up unfolds because I too have been keen for a boat topper.
Talk to ya soon

Skip

Cheers Skip!

I may have to distribute the load but will keep you posted, won't be getting the car till later in the year until after I get back from Cape York but doing all my homework know so everything is lined up.

Have you got an auto or manual and how many clicks are you getting out of a tank in yours?

Also have you got the updated version Colorado?

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@expanda

I have the 1st version of the RG LS 4X4 Colorado and yes the newer one has more power but not buy much though. I wish I had of waited now for the updated version but as for the car I am really happy so far.
If your looking at buying one don't go for the manual as they are dreadful to drive compared to the auto. Pus they don't have as much torque as the auto. Getting from 18 to 23Ltr per 100Kms towing the 20-63-1OB, 23 into the wind though and that's fully loaded with 3 80LTr tanks as well.

I have a friend who has one of the first 2012 RG'S Colorado over here in WA. He is the main reason for me buying one.
He tows a 3.5 to 4 tone excavator around all day from job to job and has had no problems at all. Its has done around 80,000 clicks too of hard towing every day and yes its the auto too.
Compared to the Navara, Patrol and Hilux he used to tow with his excavator trailer with they all had major drive train problems or motor problems. The Navara was the most unreliable.
The Colorado has not missed a beat though but I must admit that in the defence of the other 4x4 he used to tow with, all the 4x4 are pushed to the absolute limits though for which they are not really designed for EG 3.5 to 4 ton towing every day.
So after seeing this and talking to many mechanics though work I gave the triton a miss and went for the Colorado and haven't look back since.

Skip

Reactions: cruza driver

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
@expanda

I have the 1st version of the RG LS 4X4 Colorado and yes the newer one has more power but not buy much though. I wish I had of waited now for the updated version but as for the car I am really happy so far.
If your looking at buying one don't go for the manual as they are dreadful to drive compared to the auto. Pus they don't have as much torque as the auto. Getting from 18 to 23Ltr per 100Kms towing the 20-63-1OB, 23 into the wind though and that's fully loaded with 3 80LTr tanks as well.

I have a friend who has one of the first 2012 RG'S Colorado over here in WA. He is the main reason for me buying one.
He tows a 3.5 to 4 tone excavator around all day from job to job and has had no problems at all. Its has done around 80,000 clicks too of hard towing every day and yes its the auto too.
Compared to the Navara, Patrol and Hilux he used to tow with his excavator trailer with they all had major drive train problems or motor problems. The Navara was the most unreliable.
The Colorado has not missed a beat though but I must admit that in the defence of the other 4x4 he used to tow with, all the 4x4 are pushed to the absolute limits though for which they are not really designed for EG 3.5 to 4 ton towing every day.
So after seeing this and talking to many mechanics though work I gave the triton a miss and went for the Colorado and haven't look back since.

Skip

Cheers Skip, interesting fuel figures so about 400k's between fills when towing?

About the same as the Pathfinder is getting but obviously my weight is alot less lol!

Good to here you are happy with yours :).

Reactions: skippy