18' Series Toolbox on draw bar

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Hi everyone.
A friend of a friend has installed this toolbox on a 17.56-1.
20161115_144035.jpg 20161115_143554.jpg
It is from Tools in a Box - Sydney.
Dimensions are 2000mmx500x500.
I was initially looking for a box about 1800mm long but this seems to be priced very well at $420 + delivery to Melb.
I am almost certain the the gas bottles will just fit in as the internal measurement is appox 490mm and a gas bottle is about 480mm.
It has drop down side doors to both ends which I like, however not sure about the length as it may look too big and bulky.
Also, is it straight forward to install to the drawbar? Do I simply remove the existing gas bottle holders from the frame and install inside the box? U-type clamp bolts to secure box to frame?

Reactions: bigcol and Mustang

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hi everyone.
A friend of a friend has installed this toolbox on a 17.56-1.
View attachment 46339 View attachment 46338
It is from Tools in a Box - Sydney.
Dimensions are 2000mmx500x500.
I was initially looking for a box about 1800mm long but this seems to be priced very well at $420 + delivery to Melb.
I am almost certain the the gas bottles will just fit in as the internal measurement is appox 490mm and a gas bottle is about 480mm.
It has drop down side doors to both ends which I like, however not sure about the length as it may look too big and bulky.
Also, is it straight forward to install to the drawbar? Do I simply remove the existing gas bottle holders from the frame and install inside the box? U-type clamp bolts to secure box to frame?

Hey mate, van looks great by the way, glad everything went well.

The size of that box will be fine, mine is actually wider than that (2100w X 500hx 600d the gas compartment is 750w) and I personally don't think mine looks to bulky (Im biased though).
Just keep in mind that if you want to install the bottles inside the box you need to comply to Gas regs to make sure you're insured if heaven forbid something went wrong. Gas regs require the bottles to be in a seperate compartment and have a vent installed no higher than 50mm from the floor of the box.

I utilised the existing gas bottle holders and refitted them to the inside of the box, I also installed some aluminium plate reinforcing to the inside where the gal bolts went through to mount to the A frame.

I personally like them powder coated black with the Outback, it tends to blend in a bit, I had a few people try to warn me off doing it for stone chips, but we've had a few trips with it on now and it still looks brand new.

Az

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Do I simply remove the existing gas bottle holders from the frame and install inside the box? U-type clamp bolts to secure box to frame?
Pretty much all that's needed but the brackets may need slight modifications or additional brackets.
I bolted our box to the existing gas bottle mounting holes with a couple of u-bolt style brackets up front.

And as @AzHaych said there are other requirements to keep things legal. (I need to learn to type faster;) )

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I type slower - and dont care..........................................

that is a good price

yeppers, gas bottles will fit in easy

however not sure about the length as it may look too big and bulky.

its a small square box on the front of a larger box.................
whats not to like...........

I removed the bottle holder, and cut holes in the base and re-fitted the holders - using it to secure that side to the draw bar
also fitted U bolts........ on the inside (or the box) is rather long (maybe too long) pieces of steel on the floor under the nuts

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne

Attachments

• gas regs.pdf
    420 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
I've got the same box on mine (but bought in melbourne:))
Yes the gas bottles will fit. I've fitted these holders
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Gas-Bottle-Holder-4-5kg/381369?gclid=CNm1wef8wNACFVgRvQod5w8Lkg

As @AzHaych mentioned, a separate compartment is required.

See the a following for requirements - extract from AS5601.2

Thanks for the link and the gas reg info.
Where did you get your box from in Melbourne?
Did you install the gas bottles in the centre or at 1 end?
Also, did you install the separation panel? Or did your supplier do it for you?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I got it from EzyTrail campers in Bayswater. The 2055 is sold all over the place, just rebadged for each reseller. Don't worry - they all sell it for the same price :D
I put the gas bottles in the middle with no divider purely from ignorance. Now that I am aware of the regs, I'll move them to one end and fit a divider as per regulations. It will be done before my next trip. I'll pick up some checker plate from bunnings and install it with some rubber on the edges to get a seal (not that I could see that was a requirement)
I'm also tossing up externally mounting them again - it became a nuisance to get to them when the bed end is down

Reactions: Lozza T

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
I was just thinking of another option........
What if I leave the gas bottles exactly as they are in position and install say a 1200mm to 1500mm approx tool box in front?

Pros -
  • Don't have to mess around moving the gas bottles.
  • The extra expense for modifying gas (plumbing etc).
  • Dont have to do a separate compartments, vent....
  • Smaller box will be cheaper and fairly simple to install.
  • I have the room with my extended drawbar.
Cons -
  • The gas bottle will not be hidden and would not look as neat.
  • Gas bottles will not be as secure from theft. (Do people lose their bottle to thieves if not locked up?)
  • Does it affect the towball weight having the box further forward as much if it was up against the van?
Have not seen any pictures of this set up so not sure if it is a practical method????

Reactions: Johnno48

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I was just thinking of another option........
What if I leave the gas bottles exactly as they are in position and install say a 1200mm to 1500mm approx tool box in front?

Pros -
  • Don't have to mess around moving the gas bottles.
  • The extra expense for modifying gas (plumbing etc).
  • Dont have to do a separate compartments, vent....
  • Smaller box will be cheaper and fairly simple to install.
  • I have the room with my extended drawbar.
Cons -
  • The gas bottle will not be hidden and would not look as neat.
  • Gas bottles will not be as secure from theft. (Do people lose their bottle to thieves if not locked up?)
  • Does it affect the towball weight having the box further forward as much if it was up against the van?
Have not seen any pictures of this set up so not sure if it is a practical method????

A good sensible solution, methinks.

We did something similar and it was easy with the extended draw bar.

Re theft of gas bottles....it used to be a big issue and we always ran a good strong chain with a good padlock through them years ago but I haven't heard of any problems recently. It was prevalent in the north and west years ago in some "community" areas but I don't think it's worth their while now.

Maybe I just haven't kept up to date....but the theft fashion is more directed to solar panels and portable fridges and bikes these days. (We still carry our chain and padlock and use it only for solar panels now.... The rest is not worth stealing!)

I wouldn't make things complicated ....moving gas bottles, plumbing costs etc....if there's a simple solution.

:oops:

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
I wouldn't make things complicated ....moving gas bottles, plumbing costs etc....if there's a simple solution.

Same here, as nice as some of the full width toolboxes are, for the cost and effort I am just going to have something built in between them. There is only so much I actually need to put in the front box anyway. If someone wants to steal my gas bottle that bad they can have it, rather that then damage the toolbox lock trying to get at it. I know what would be cheaper to replace.

Reactions: Delano

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Question: have you moved your spare wheel?

If it's not in the way on the draw bar, it's very easy to get the toolbox on; either drop it down a bit and bolt it on or place it above the draw bar by setting it on some angle iron and ubolting to that and the draw bar. From memory, you need a height of no more than 500mm (but check that. My memory is subject to doubt at times)

The space under that give you room to add a wire basket which is great for loose stuff....wood, hoses, security chain and so on. We do a lot of free camping and are always scrounging firewood ...into the basket it went. Easy.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks Dobbie.
The spare wheel is actually under the van.
This is my drawbar at the moment. I like the idea of having a wire basket under and the box on top.
drawbar front.jpg drawbar side.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Hi All,

After plenty of research on this forum and seeing what others had done, we have just ordered a custom-made forward opening box as i wanted access to it when we have the front bed down. I measured the clearance with the bed down (and me lying on it to ensure it was at full down) and we have 540mm clearance. We needed/wanted the door opening to be 430mm so that the generator (Honda EU20i) can fit through (height 425mm) and the weber as well (height 390mm). The weber is also 540mm deep, so we are having the box made 600mm deep.
To get the door opening at 430mm, the manufacturer needed a height of 520mm so that has worked out tight, but ok.
I am planning fix it to the drawbar with some large u-bolts, and i will fix the gas regulator to the back of it in a similar position to where it is currently on the exisiting gas bottle holder
I didn't want the gas bottles inside the box as there didn't seem to be any point if they have to be in a separate section anyway - this way, the only modification to the gas is sourcing two longer gas lines to reach the gas bottles.
We are getting it powdercoated black and take delivery just prior to Christmas. Cost is $850 inc, in 2mm checkerplate rather than the usual 1.6mm and with a 2yr guarantee
Plans below and happy to share a pic once we get it.
Cheers, Jemmo
PS - this is from MW Toolboxes as well
Toolbox.JPG

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Mmmm interesting Jemmo. I like it!
Not playing around with the gas to much is great. Currently the gas regulator is secured to an up-stand; would you just leave it as it is and place the box just in front of it? Then I am assuming you would just run the extended gas lines along the back of the box and through the 2 holes drawn on the sketch?
Great price and includes powder coating!

Reactions: Jemmo