Toilet not flushing

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
We have pulled over into an over night parking spot and the loans officer has gone to use the toilet for the first time. Only problem is the toilet isn't flushing! I filled up the water tank before we left so that's not the problem, I have checked the fuse and that's ok! Is there any plugs going to the toilet that I can check to see if there is any power going to the toilet pump. Or we're abouts is the toilet pump located so I can check that? Or could the control panel next to the toilet become faulty and can this be removed?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi kavs,
Could be one of a few issues and will also depend on the brand and/or model toilet you have.
We have the thetford C2 model and had the same issue. Ended up being the second fuse that fits under the unit (accessable from outside after removing the storage cassette.

If yours is a thetford have a look here http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/service/repair-instructions.aspx
and click on the "Repair instructions for all Thetford Sanitation Products"

Other issues could be either dead or seized pump accessible from under the spare toilet roll holder.

Last edited:

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
Cheers for the reply David. Checked for that second fuse and yep it was blown! Replaced it and still no go! Checked the website theft ford website for some help, checked the power going to the little circuit board and that was good, then checked the blue and brown wires going to the pump and both were getting power without the button even being pushed! So I'm leaning towards the circuit board is stuffed!

By the way my model of toilet is the thetford c-402cra

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Was just prepping the van for a trip away and found the toilet not flushing. >:(

So, straight to the forum to find information from others. Had already done the same checks as @kavs - fuses OK, 12V to the circuit board & voltage on the blown/blue wires to the pump when pressing the flush button.

Gave Jayco Bendigo Service Centre a call and they said given all the other checks that is was most likely a seized impeller. So removed the pump - sure enough! Flicked the impeller around a few times with a small screw driver - it is all working fine again. Happy Days :D

Link above to the Thetford service and repair manual was a great help to remove the pump too.

Learnings - run water pump and toilet impeller motors once a month to make sure they have "fresh" fluids and nothing settles to cause them to seize!

Rohan

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Took the van to Stockton foreshore (across the harbour from Newcastle city) for New Years fireworks and a social evening with friends. Great evening; spectacular fireworks. Only problem was the van toilet decided to no longer flush. On our return home, same as @ROnEM , checked the forums for help and as usual, the info I needed was available. Fuse (3 amp blade fuse) was blown (no mention of it in thetford C2 user manual). Couldn't find the repair guide on the thetford site but found it on the net after a quick search. Flushed out the tank, removed the pump which I found to have a seized impeller; was able to free it up using a small screwdriver. A quick power on check before reassembly and all was working. Once again, the Expandas Downunder forums saved the day!!

Kevin Jones

Apr 5, 2015
Tom Price, WA
Kavs, I had the same problem. The impellors seize up in the pump. You can normally access from inside the van, depending on mdel. Just pull the pump out, turn the impellor a few tomes with a small screw driver and then put it back. Should work a treat. The water and top tank additive create a gunge around it if not used regularly

KBerg Rig

Apr 13, 2013
Hello All
Toilet not flushing?
Can hear the pump trying to work, sounds like it's run out of water. The sight gauge looks empty, so pull out the filler and its full and has a pinkish tinge from the additive. Shouldn't I be able to see this in the sight gauge? Am I missing something?
Thanks guys
Matt

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
The filler always is full, it must have a slope towards the outside. When you fill, you have to do it slowly as it will overflow easily.

It sounds like your tank is empty. :o

KBerg Rig

Apr 13, 2013
Thanks Chartrock
Yep, tank was empty. Drained what was in the fill pipe and then gave it a blast with the hose, some gunk flushed out. Filled it slowly and sure enough the water kept going in and sight gauge was working. Problem solved, wife happy, all good.
Thanks
Matt K

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Took the van to Stockton foreshore (across the harbour from Newcastle city) for New Years fireworks and a social evening with friends. Great evening; spectacular fireworks. Only problem was the van toilet decided to no longer flush. On our return home, same as @ROnEM , checked the forums for help and as usual, the info I needed was available. Fuse (3 amp blade fuse) was blown (no mention of it in thetford C2 user manual). Couldn't find the repair guide on the thetford site but found it on the net after a quick search. Flushed out the tank, removed the pump which I found to have a seized impeller; was able to free it up using a small screwdriver. A quick power on check before reassembly and all was working. Once again, the Expandas Downunder forums saved the day!!

Tired of pump seizing having to cut and fix the wires
Bought A Narva 2way waterproof Connector $12.95 Problem solved
also a Pinch rubber from clark rubber to stop gas bottles rubbing on corrugated roads.
Two Tyres for Van
10 sleeps then Head North
shiraz