17' Series Swing Down Jacks to level Van

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
I maybe missing it completely. I'm not real excited about the idea of trying to get my wife to help me level the van using ramps. :argue:

I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum, yet it seems everyone defaults to ramps.

Well I was wondering about the use of swing down jacks fixed somewhere near the wheels - at a structural lift point on both sides? I'm still waiting on the van to arrive, and as I've never had a van before nor been near one. I'm unsure if this is a great idea or a bad one.
upload_2015-8-7_19-51-31.png

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
they are not designed to lift the van only to stabilize it, so ramps is the go it's not that hard, if your van is dual axle just be aware that standard ramps "may not" fit between the wheels, there is 2 sizes available

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks @Bushman
I got inspired by talks of jacks and this video
It looks great! Not sure what the outlay would be. Most likely more than I wish to pay. Would be good to have the cheaper version - or build one.

Reactions: Bluey

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
what van did you order. They do come with drop down legs on all 4 corners

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
@MDS69 I got the starcraft 17.58-1 touring van. I have got the Al-KO drop down legs like on OB's. And yes on all four corners

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hey @McKenzie as @Bushman said the alko drop down legs are as stabilisers only and not suitable for levelling.
If you don't want to use ramps then have a look at the Kojack leveller here. I think @bigcol has something similar from memory (Or was looking) and might be able to shed some light on them if he has used them??

DazFamily

May 26, 2015
Caloundra
i use airbags on my outback added to the suspension works well for a couple of uses aids in extra stability when off road and also has separate air lines to level out on uneven ground and then drop the jacks

Reactions: Bluey and achjimmy

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hey @McKenzie as @Bushman said the alko drop down legs are as stabilisers only and not suitable for levelling.
If you don't want to use ramps then have a look at the Kojack leveller here. I think @bigcol has something similar from memory (Or was looking) and might be able to shed some light on them if he has used them??

yeppers, I have one of them Kojacks

wanna buy it??

never used it

Reactions: dagree

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
@DazFamily

I'm interested in knowing more. Can you you give more details - photos? What product did you use. who did the work? is there much work involved in switching over?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Bos370 who make the jockey wheels have a drop Jack that is a direct replacement but is strong enough to lift a van. The disclaimer needs to be that the mounting point for the jacks needs to be structually strong enough as you posted. But the Jack will definetly do it.

For me I use the ezy level with the ramps. Makes it pretty much a one man job

http://www.rvpartsexpress.com.au/ezy-level-coming-soon.html

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
i use airbags on my outback added to the suspension works well for a couple of uses aids in extra stability when off road and also has separate air lines to level out on uneven ground and then drop the jacks

Mate I d like to see and here more about your setup. This is exactly what I would love to do

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @McKenzie. If your motivation is purely to keep the peace and avoid relying on your wife, below is a link to the EziLevel electronic leveller, and Haigh Explorer ramps. The Haigh Explorer ramps are unique in that they are two piece allowing it to fitted in between the wheels. The EziLevel is a wonderful device that will solve your problems of single operator, with a minimum of fuss, minimum of cost and error free. The EziLevel link has a video to explain the function.

As far as levelling the van goes, don't get to hung up on levelling the van to civil engineering standards ... I intentionally setup my van slightly off level in both directions. I choose to keep the front of my van high to encourage water runoff toward the rear of the van, away from our Expanda bed and also to not add to puddling at the front of the van where we trudge in and out. I also choose to have the van slightly tilted toward the awning side, which ensures my head is never lower than my feet in bed (which I can't stand). Because I don't set up the van level, how much out of level it is, within reason irrelevant. So long as its up at the front, and tilted right its all good.

EziLevel - Wireless Caravan Level Indicator

Haigh Explorer ramps

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I find now after having used a ramp a few times , I throw the ramp under the wheel and have it level in one movement, doesn't take long and you just do it. As @crusry181 said always pays to have it nearly but not quite, mine is set so the shower drains nicely, the Ezylevel looks the way to go.

Auto level jacks are expensive and decrease the limited weight allowance you have, by the time some add an extra water tank, grey water tank, 100kgs of solar panels and 4 batteries @ 35kg each, tool box and generator and push bikes they have nothing left for clothes, food or beer......and may need to buy a new tug.............

I would suggest since you are a newby at this game then don't go spending heaps of dollars on gear you think or some mate thinks you should have, it usually ends up being an expensive white elephant.............you will soon work out what you really need after a shake down run or 2.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Another vote for slightly off level to keep shower draining effectively and bathroom dry.

We do use a level but don't get too fussed unless it's way out of whack. Fridge on gas hasn't been a problem.

After a few setups it's relatively easy to see whether ramps are needed and a very easy job to move slightly forward, shove the ramp in behind the wheels and go back gently.

I'd be cautious of the strength of the mounting plates if I was relying on jacks to level the van.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Hi all,
All good advice. I like the ideas of air bags, Boss370 and Ezi-Level. I'm not looking for perfectly level van each time. Just when its needed. These are all points I had not read about before.

@Drover you are correct, I'll do a shake down run or two and work out whats what.

Thanks....

Oh, I just realised you all will recognise me by the tug once I'm on the road....I get the feeling there's not to many Tribeca's pulling a van :biggrin-new:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh, I just realised you all will recognise me by the tug once I'm on the road....I get the feeling there's not to many Tribeca's pulling a van :biggrin-new:

@McKenzie you are right, I had to Google "Tribeca" to find out....................................DEC delivery, I honestly don't know how you people can take the strain, too much for me then the buggers will be late and I would go spare..........................so keep in touch on this forum and when you get your rig some of us may be in the area when you do your Shake Down, just don't forget the pics.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
@Drover Yes it's only been a couple of weeks.....four looong months!!:smash:
I have to much time to think and read about vans.

But I have learnt a lot in a short amount of time.

Also, talking to a neighbor who has a van - 21 foot. He uses ramps...and I discovered that you use the jockey wheel for the north south leveling....that is probably common knowledge. Well that was new information for me :embarassed:.

I find it funny that the stabilizers can't be used for leveling.....why don't they make it so they can??? I just upgraded them thinking that would help with north south.....

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Cos they stabilise rather than take the full weight for levelling.

When you move around van on uneven ground it's possible to feel them taking the weight....and even better when the van is level.

I stupidly tried to do stuff in van before going away without putting down the legs and almost came af cropper as the back of the van tilted.....haven't done that again!

Strongly suggest you invest in one of those 3 way levels and use jockey wheel then ramps if necessary. We have used ramps only twice in about 18 months and they work.