Suitable tow vehicle

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
We are considering one, but have always been concerned about perceived reliability. How have you found yours?

This is the second Jeep I've owned and we have had no more problems than you would get with other brands, I find most people that comment on Jeeps reliability have never owned one, we had a deisel 4 door wrangler from new in 07 and sold it to buy a WH grand Cherokee limited about 18 months ago, it's been great.

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Welcome @Sebo ,
We just purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo diesel and it tows our 16-49-4
Like it's not even there . We did nearly 6,000k's from Melb to Townsville at around 14ltrs/100.

The wife was concerned it was tooBIG as she parks in the City every day , but now she loves it.
And as for engine noise , you can barely hear it.
Except for when I put the boot into it!!!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks @davemc, we have have three under 6 years of age, so space is always a challenge due to car seats. We have a Kluger which is a great car, however, now we have upgraded our van, it's time to move to a more capable vehicle that can tow the load. Thanks for the assistance and suggestions
Three kids and up causes problems :)
We have 3 under 7 (The 2nd eldest is short so 3 car seats) and a 9 year old out of a car seat.
With the Mux and a lot of cars they are actually narrower then your Klugar, the Isuzu guy when I went to try car seats said buy a Klugar if you have car seats to :( You get three seats in depending on seat although makes using the back seats difficult.
There is no anchor point in the rear of most so if you want to put a seat there you have to get one installed around $300.
The Everest has rear anchor points although the 2nd row does not flip forward so getting in to do up the kid in the rear be a problem.

NRMA has a site with some pics getting car seats in not the MUX although the DMAX
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-s...t-fitting-guide/Isuzu-d-max-dual-cab-2012.htm
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-s...restraint-fitting-guide/ford-everest-2015.htm

Reactions: bigcol and Sebo

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
One thing to also remember most 7 seat cars have a 60/40 split in the 2nd row. They all split smaller side on the drivers side as built for overseas market. If you put two car seats in the 2nd row you cannot fold down the seat as they hang over. So if you put a third kid in the 3rd row they have to climb over seats all the time or get out the boot.
Was one of the reasons we went from a Discovery 3 to a Discovery 4 (and cost me $ he he ) All second row flips forward so two car seats and flip the passenger side seat forward to let one in the 3rd row.

Also if your thinking of 7 seaters check out how much space there is for a adult in the 3rd row we often carry friends.

One problem with that NRMA site is they always put a baby capsule in.. When you have 3 in boosters and there wide wings its more difficult to get a seat in.

Last edited:

Sebo

Aug 2, 2016
Golden Grove
Three kids and up causes problems :)
We have 3 under 7 (The 2nd eldest is short so 3 car seats) and a 9 year old out of a car seat.
With the Mux and a lot of cars they are actually narrower then your Klugar, the Isuzu guy when I went to try car seats said buy a Klugar if you have car seats to :( You get three seats in depending on seat although makes using the back seats difficult.
There is no anchor point in the rear of most so if you want to put a seat there you have to get one installed around $300.
The Everest has rear anchor points although the 2nd row does not flip forward so getting in to do up the kid in the rear be a problem.

NRMA has a site with some pics getting car seats in not the MUX although the DMAX
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-s...t-fitting-guide/Isuzu-d-max-dual-cab-2012.htm
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-s...restraint-fitting-guide/ford-everest-2015.htm

thanks @davemc, certainly a challenge, but we'll find a solution. Thanks for the input.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I'll also throw my 2c worth into the ring and vote for the Jeep.
Mine's been flawless in the 4 years I've owned it.
Mine also has QL and I too use a WDH with it. Having said that, I have towed my van short distances without it and my boat weighs in at 2T and I don't use a WDH with that, and it still tows fine.

They don't come as a 7 seater though, if that's a requirement.
The best family car I've owned for ease of access and useability of all 7 seats was a Volvo XC90, the Territory came second.

If you don't need the low range ability of a 4WD a diesel AWD Territory with a 2700kg towing capacity may suit.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
And another vote for the Jeep. We have Overland which has QL. We use a WDH but when I have towed without it was fine. Have had no problems at all. It is wife's daily car (less than 5 ft) and she loves it. I have a 16.49-3 and tows with no issues and gives around 10-11L/100. If you not sure about WDH, I have a spare you can borrow and try with and without. I find it seems to make feel more stable - but that may be me.

Sebo

Aug 2, 2016
Golden Grove
Welcome @Sebo ,
We just purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo diesel and it tows our 16-49-4
Like it's not even there . We did nearly 6,000k's from Melb to Townsville at around 14ltrs/100.

The wife was concerned it was tooBIG as she parks in the City every day , but now she loves it.
And as for engine noise , you can barely hear it.
Except for when I put the boot into it!!!

Thanks @Delano, thanks for the vote of confidence, great that you had a good experience. Slowly we are thinking it's the way to go. Cheers

Reactions: Delano

Sebo

Aug 2, 2016
Golden Grove
And another vote for the Jeep. We have Overland which has QL. We use a WDH but when I have towed without it was fine. Have had no problems at all. It is wife's daily car (less than 5 ft) and she loves it. I have a 16.49-3 and tows with no issues and gives around 10-11L/100. If you not sure about WDH, I have a spare you can borrow and try with and without. I find it seems to make feel more stable - but that may be me.
Thanks @Vere ! Very kind to offer the WDH, will keep you posted, really appreciate your input also, cheers

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Sebo

Aug 2, 2016
Golden Grove
I'll also throw my 2c worth into the ring and vote for the Jeep.
Mine's been flawless in the 4 years I've owned it.
Mine also has QL and I too use a WDH with it. Having said that, I have towed my van short distances without it and my boat weighs in at 2T and I don't use a WDH with that, and it still tows fine.

They don't come as a 7 seater though, if that's a requirement.
The best family car I've owned for ease of access and useability of all 7 seats was a Volvo XC90, the Territory came second.

If you don't need the low range ability of a 4WD a diesel AWD Territory with a 2700kg towing capacity may suit.
Cheers @Matty4 ! We are really looking at the jeep limited closely at the moment and it seems QL is the go ! Cheers

Sebo

Aug 2, 2016
Golden Grove
This is the second Jeep I've owned and we have had no more problems than you would get with other brands, I find most people that comment on Jeeps reliability have never owned one, we had a deisel 4 door wrangler from new in 07 and sold it to buy a WH grand Cherokee limited about 18 months ago, it's been great.

@WHHEMI , thanks for this, all the guys on the forum are raving about their jeeps. Seems like the best bang for buck by far, cheers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I find most people that comment on Jeeps reliability have never owned one,

I can honestly say, they are Jheeps
I owned a 1965 CJ5 - in the late 70's early 80's went everywhere you pointed it
(just need a chiropractor now....you get that when your young dumb and full of.......with a 4wd that goes bat shyte crazy off road.)

I didnt want a Landi (I had already had one) or a 40 series like my mates had, and a mate had a 1952 Overlander he had rebuilt - so I got suckered into a Jheep
thrashed the living bejeesees out of it for about 2 years and then sold it, dayam it was a great off roader

I know they are a far better car now than they were years ago

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I can honestly say, they are Jheeps
I owned a 1965 CJ5 - in the late 70's early 80's went everywhere you pointed it
(just need a chiropractor now....you get that when your young dumb and full of.......with a 4wd that goes bat shyte crazy off road.)

I didnt want a Landi (I had already had one) or a 40 series like my mates had, and a mate had a 1952 Overlander he had rebuilt - so I got suckered into a Jheep
thrashed the living bejeesees out of it for about 2 years and then sold it, dayam it was a great off roader

I know they are a far better car now than they were years ago
Kinda confused now @bigcol
Is that the biggest back-handed compliment to J(h)eep or what???:D:behindsofa:

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
My only complaint about the Jeep is that even thought it looks huge it has no interior space like the Prado. Only complaint about the Prado is the lack of power and torque but its enough. Just a little slower getting to 100km/h.