Stokesies 16.49-1 Expanda Mods

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
Hi all,

I've been busy getting ready for an upcoming 3 week holiday up in the North of WA and have made a few mods I've been meaning to do for ages.

Given there will be some free camping involved I've added a shurflo water pump, re-plumbed an external tap and internal tap for that. I've also added some USB and 12V internal and external ports, running through decent cable to a bluewater fusebox - and added a CTek C250S Dual charger to keep the battery topped up. I've also added LED globes to all the light fittings and fitted a Coast to Coast (Jayco style) battery and water tank monitor.

On the outside we've underslung the van (which has made SUCH a difference), modified the awning walls to suit, ordered a toolbox (I don't get that until next week - but its custom and fits two gas bottles - I'll post pictures when we get it), resealed the roof with Sikaflex and added a sliding drawer. The silicon on the roof was woeful and we've found on our parking spot, water pools in the front left corner which sadly seeped through. I doubt any water would get in now but to be sure I Sika'd a couple of small angles on the roof to stop water pooling in the corners. Our Expanda doesn't have hot water so we've made the drawer to fit a Companion instant water heater. The Shurflo provides tank water under pressure to a separate tap on the Chassis rail and I've added a 12V point to the boot for power. So hopefully hot showers for the kids on the side of the van at last for a fraction of the cost of a 'fitted' system.

Here's a few pictures, I'll add some more when we get the toolbox fitted. I've ordered it through MW here in Perth and they have been brilliant so far and very reasonable price wise. Just have to more the spare now too!

edit : Just moved this into the 'My Jayco' Group
IMG_5003.JPG
IMG_5020.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5022.JPG
IMG_5023.JPG
IMG_5024.JPG

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
nice work ,,need to re seal my roof as well, also keen to see pics after under slinging, annexe alterations, how'd the under sling go, thinking about doing mine?

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
Finally got the toolbox added today. MW Toolboxes in Perth (Vic Park) custom made it for us, $600 and took 9 days to manufacture. It's 2mm checkerplate, weather sealed, re-enforced lid (so you can stand on it) and has two gas bottle holders either side. I've got the plans if anyone wants them - and I highly recommend Phillip, he was excellent to deal with.

Moving the gas regulator proved rather difficult and I threw a 90mm pole carrier behind for rods/curved roof rafter. Also moved the mains tap to the back corner of the toolbox - it's far more accessible than before. You can also see I've mounted it on marine ply, as recommended by others in the forum. We've got a short drawbar so custom was the only way to go in the end but worth it I reckon. The box fits the Weber nicely and all the hoses etc. They also flashed up a couple of battery trays for the back of the ute wheel arches for $60 each. I've mounted a dual battery in a battery box on the left and a compressor in the right that's wired up for some beach trips!

As for the undersling, we had that done by a repair shop in Perth (PM me if your keen). They were great - it cost about $270 for memory and lifted the van about 120mm. They welded on proper base plates and made sure the axle was kept the same way, allowing for the ever so slight bend - For that money I'd recommend not doing it yourself! Theres no appreciable difference towing but far better ground clearance and flexibility. I ended up putting on a bigger jockey wheel (the other one was toast anyway) which worked well. I don't have photos of the underside but if your keen I'll try get some to you. It cost another $200 to get triangular panels sewn into the side Annex walls by Wilfords who made the Annex originally. The long wall remains at the original height. Definately one of the better things we've done - it's very nice not gritting teeth every time a driveway exit looms!

Hope that helps someone out!

Cheers!

photo 1-1.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2-1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Nice job with the tool box and that's a good idea also with the duel batteries mounted up out of the way on the wheel arches too.

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
For Colin&Sue or anyone else, here's a pic of the Annexe walls that were extended by Wilfords in Perth after the undersling. As you can see they plastic welded a triangular section onto the back and front walls to allow for the extra van height. It worked a treat too! I think they added about 140mm on the van side tapering off to nothing on the roller side. In essence the roller height off the ground is the same regardless of underslung or not, the front and rear walls compensate accordingly. After the undersling the supporting top bars are about 15 degrees below horizontal.

Cheers.
IMG_5065.JPG
IMG_5066.JPG

kingycoops

Dec 11, 2014
Hi - where did you put your spare tyre after mounting the toolbox, or did you leave it in the drawbar?

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Finally got the toolbox added today. MW Toolboxes in Perth (Vic Park) custom made it for us, $600 and took 9 days to manufacture. It's 2mm checkerplate, weather sealed, re-enforced lid (so you can stand on it) and has two gas bottle holders either side. I've got the plans if anyone wants them - and I highly recommend Phillip, he was excellent to deal with.

Moving the gas regulator proved rather difficult and I threw a 90mm pole carrier behind for rods/curved roof rafter. Also moved the mains tap to the back corner of the toolbox - it's far more accessible than before. You can also see I've mounted it on marine ply, as recommended by others in the forum. We've got a short drawbar so custom was the only way to go in the end but worth it I reckon. The box fits the Weber nicely and all the hoses etc. They also flashed up a couple of battery trays for the back of the ute wheel arches for $60 each. I've mounted a dual battery in a battery box on the left and a compressor in the right that's wired up for some beach trips!

As for the undersling, we had that done by a repair shop in Perth (PM me if your keen). They were great - it cost about $270 for memory and lifted the van about 120mm. They welded on proper base plates and made sure the axle was kept the same way, allowing for the ever so slight bend - For that money I'd recommend not doing it yourself! Theres no appreciable difference towing but far better ground clearance and flexibility. I ended up putting on a bigger jockey wheel (the other one was toast anyway) which worked well. I don't have photos of the underside but if your keen I'll try get some to you. It cost another $200 to get triangular panels sewn into the side Annex walls by Wilfords who made the Annex originally. The long wall remains at the original height. Definately one of the better things we've done - it's very nice not gritting teeth every time a driveway exit looms!

Hope that helps someone out!

Cheers!

View attachment 23533 View attachment 23534 View attachment 23535 View attachment 23536 View attachment 23537 View attachment 23538 View attachment 23539

Hi Mate
Could you send the details of the company that underslung your van
Cheers

kingycoops

Dec 11, 2014
Ok thanks - any else have any options for successful relocation of the spare tyre once a toolbox is fitted on the drawbar?