Radio antenna for Patrol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Just a question to see if anyone has managed to improve radio reception in a Nissan Patrol.

Reception is disappointing to say the least and I've been reading about some possible ways to improve it in a simple and easy way. Nothing seems simple or easy.

I may have to take it to the auto electrician but wondered if anyone has sorted it out.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We have the radio antenna in the glass and find reception not too bad. Although can never get the travellers station, but then never could regardless of car. I assume yours is the pull out variety?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We have the radio antenna in the glass and find reception not too bad. Although can never get the travellers station, but then never could regardless of car. I assume yours is the pull out variety?

Antenna is in the glass...reception ridiculous, particularly in regional areas. Nullarbor run we had no reception at all and when in rural areas almost nothing.

We're about to do another long trip and would like to get ABC news at the very least.

I'm considering an antenna mounted either on roof or on bull bar but have no idea if an external antenna can be attached to the existing radio.

I'll go to the auto leckie next week.

Reactions: Smirke

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I'm considering an antenna mounted either on roof or on bull bar but have no idea if an external antenna can be attached to the existing radio.
Sounds like the way to go @Dobbie . I would be surprised if the standard stereo didn't take a standard antenna plug????? Or at least an adaptor for one?

Maybe @bigcol could put some light on it?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm no good at pulling out radio from dash so don't want to attempt it myself and can't find any info on whether standard radio will accept an external antenna.

I just wondered if anyone here had the same problem....it seems from the Patrol forum that it's a common issue.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
only response I have had so far is.........

need an adapter (like a splitter) can get from jcar / autobahn etc )
the antenna in the glass is for boosting the FM signal when normal is weak

Reactions: dagree and Dobbie

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks!!!

That makes sense as we get far better reception with fm but the range, as usual , is limited.

It's really AM I want to boost so will check with Jaycar etc and the auto electrician.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
apparently, it looks like this @Dobbie

antenna.jpg

so yes, you need the adapter

years ago, we used to get the "old" CB (27Mhz) aerial, and put the fitting for the Radio on the end and use that as a "long distance" radio aerial

not too sure if you could do the same with a 440Mhz (UHF) one

just an idea

Reactions: Dobbie and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Again....thanks.

Spoke with auto electrician today. Vehicle going in later this week for a look see.

We both want to avoid drilling holes for big aerials so will see what we come up with. Think if an adaptor will work, then a small aerial on roof.....not sure.

But have a full antenna already on bull bar for phone and that has paid off.....had to call for emergency and so was worth the money....just hesitant to add another unless it solves the problem. Will do, though, if it gives us good radio reception.

I hate not getting ABC ....I must be addicted.

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Brief update on this:

I've investigated with both auto electrician and with Nissan dealer.....at length. (I had to visit both anyway so didn't make special visits!)

result: because antenna is in rear side glass, reception is rubbish. They all agree.

but: can't fit a splitter thingy to radio as it will blow the glass and Nissan here have just had an audio guy in to test various ways of getting better reception but in all cases, reception with an external antenna and adaptor was no better with AM but did improve FM.

Both strongly recommended it be left alone.

so I'll try to love FM.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol