Electrical Power for 12V USB Socket

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Picked up a dual USB Baintech to fit for charging the phones etc when off the grid......
Thinking about fitting it into the side of the cupboard where the TV antenna booster is mounted and piece into the 12V wiring there.

Will this be OK or would I be better mounting it nearer the Setec and running a dedicated feed from a spare fuse?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Decided to go with the dedicated feed from the setec as the "Boss" wanted the phone charger close by :argue:.
So mounted the USB socket under the chair on her side of the dinette!!!!! Added a double 12V socket whilst at it.

Made it easier for me to mount and connect :thumb:

12V power sockets 01.jpg 12V power sockets 02.jpg

Roadkill

Mar 24, 2013
SA
I found an interesting "feature" with the Baintech USB sockets whilst in Adelaide. When tuning the TV at my destination, could not get the TV to tune into channel 7/Mate etc. Stuffed around for an hour or so till I pulled the device that was using the USB port for power, a dlink modem. Retuned the TV and all good, even with the Dlink modem powered from another source.
I emailed Baintech who pretty much confirmed that the draw from the USB sockets will produce an RF component when in operation.
So, if you are having TV reception issue, might be worth checking.

Cheers.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I have the Narva ones, I fitted isolation switches to them this time around as they use a small amount of power and give off a slight glow when charging.
Great tip roadkill, I could not get any ch 9 channels, turned off usb points, searched again and there they were!
Have cricket in van now :)

Last edited:

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
I have the Narva ones, I fitted isolation switches to them this time around as they use a small amount of power and give off a slight glow when charging.
Great tip roadkill, I could not get any ch 9 channels, turned off usb points, searched again and there they were!
Have cricket in van now :)
@macca
I got the Narva ones as well, I got the twin USB outlets and the 12V outlet all in one Narva Part No. was 81144BL for anyone interested, ran two dedicated supplies, one to each outlet (USB & 12V) and mounted them under the dinette next to the twin 240v GPO we have there. Looks very much like @dagree setup.

Dave

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Roadkill

Mar 24, 2013
SA
Glad it helped!

Baintech advised that you could shield the usb socket by putting it in a metal surround or box, but I don't think it's worth the effort. I'll just turn it off as needed.
:clap2: to Baintech for their prompt reply to my initial query.

Reactions: bigcol

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Decided to go with the dedicated feed from the setec as the "Boss" wanted the phone charger close by :argue:.
So mounted the USB socket under the chair on her side of the dinette!!!!! Added a double 12V socket whilst at it.

Made it easier for me to mount and connect :thumb:

View attachment 24671 View attachment 24672

@dagree How have you found the location of the usb points? I have just ordered a couple myself and was planning on piggy backing them off the cig socket where tv will go. This way there is some bench space to sit phones iPads etc while they charge.

It would be easier to mount where you have, and connect direct to the battery but I'm not sure how practical it is there. Do the cords reach the table easy enough etc.

Reactions: dagree

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
@dagree @Maxisverymad Sounds great, have ordered the plugs and will fit in the same location as soon as they arrive. Already have a switch in that position to isolate the water pump I put in, so a couple of extra bits and pieces in that area will be fine.

Thanks for the photos, makes drilling into the new van feel a bit better now I can see it will work. :)