Moving The Spare Wheel

Greg & Janette

Dec 29, 2012
Hi Everyone,
Just thinking, I need more storage and like the idea of a box on the draw bar but access to the spare wheel will be a problem. I am thinking of mounting it on the rear bumper bar on a hinge arrangement. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, photos or plans of doing this. Have a few ideas but like to see what other people have done. Also wondering if the bumper bar will be up to the task or should I be thinking of upgrading it as well.

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Hi mate. I have been thinkInge about this also. Have a look at zerosecta's thread and his rear bumper. Awesome work there. Some people have put theirs under the van with success. Let us know how you go.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Bush Palace also has done this with a swing down spare wheel on his rear bar on his 16.49-3

And look HERE for another thread on the same topic

Great link Cruza, just when I thought I'd read every thread on the forum, You point me to one I somehow missed!

Kritzy

Hi Everyone,
Just thinking, I need more storage and like the idea of a box on the draw bar but access to the spare wheel will be a problem. I am thinking of mounting it on the rear bumper bar on a hinge arrangement. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, photos or plans of doing this. Have a few ideas but like to see what other people have done. Also wondering if the bumper bar will be up to the task or should I be thinking of upgrading it as well.

Hi Greg & Janette

Attached 2 pics. The spare is now under van hanging from a cruiser spare chain winch which can be operated from the side of the van with a lengthened jack socket. No drilling or holes, merely took the existing spare holder and made a cut or two to accommodate the wheel. Chequered box from bunnings. Must have a vent at the rear so that the gas can escape if there is a leak. Also must have a sign to say butane is contained.

We fitted a bumber on the back for bicycle rack. Needed a accessory number plate for this, but it folds down so that rear bed can open up. We take the bikes off the rack or simply pull the entire rack out when we don't take the bikes with.

Happy to send more photographs.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Bike1.jpg
    Bike1.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 809
  • Bike3.jpg
    Bike3.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 828
  • 20121225_072758.jpg
    20121225_072758.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 854

Kritzy

Hi Greg & Janette

Apologies, I have added another picture of the rear bumper. I did not realize I may need to explain how it works. The part holding the bicycle rack and between the vertical risers swivels by taking out the centre bolt which is visible in the centre. This acts as a safety while the bicycle rack is in operation and attached. So to open the back bed one takes out the safety and releases the cross strap buckles and the rack/ bikes swivel backwards and out of the way. The entire rack can be removed by releasing the cross strap and pulling the rack upwards out of the swivel bar. The swivel bar is then turned upside down and the centre safety bolt stops it from swiveling loose and presents with the smooth side to the outside. The round bike rack holders face inside and are out of the way. The cross strap is stored with the bicycle rack. Sorry the accessory number plate is not shown but fits on the top of the bicycle rack once the bicycles are mounted.

Sound complicated but is very quick and functional.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 20121225_072718.jpg
    20121225_072718.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 730
  • Bike4.jpg
    Bike4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 589
  • CheckBoxStorage.jpg
    CheckBoxStorage.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 735
  • SpareWinch1.jpg
    SpareWinch1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 637
  • Bike3.jpg
    Bike3.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 582

Kritzy

Hi mate. I have been thinkInge about this also. Have a look at zerosecta's thread and his rear bumper. Awesome work there. Some people have put theirs under the van with success. Let us know how you go.

Hi Kenshi 123

I have replied to Grag and Janette to how I did the storage and a bike rack to the rear bumber. Happy to send you some pics if you wish.

Enjoy

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Here's mine.
View attachment 13401

And spare moved to back.
View attachment 13402

Hi Brad,

I like the look of your set-up. I see your in Rowville, I'm in Narre Warren South...did you have your rear bar made somewhere local? and where did you get your tool box? Unfortunately I didn't get the extended drawbar so I can't move my gas bottles in front like yours, so I'm going to put them in the tool box...some storage is better than none!

Cheers James

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.

Ian Grady

Apr 9, 2013
Hi Everyone,
Hi! if you cut out bar at rear of spare wheel holder you can mount box on 50mm square bar to clear wheel you can access wheel bolts if required & remove wheel from underneath

chris tanti

Jul 9, 2014
Hi Greg & Janette

Attached 2 pics. The spare is now under van hanging from a cruiser spare chain winch which can be operated from the side of the van with a lengthened jack socket. No drilling or holes, merely took the existing spare holder and made a cut or two to accommodate the wheel. Chequered box from bunnings. Must have a vent at the rear so that the gas can escape if there is a leak. Also must have a sign to say butane is contained.

We fitted a bumber on the back for bicycle rack. Needed a accessory number plate for this, but it folds down so that rear bed can open up. We take the bikes off the rack or simply pull the entire rack out when we don't take the bikes with.

Happy to send more photographs.

Enjoy
Hi can u send more pics on wheel carrier and explain how thanks