Mounting LED Light Near Gas Regulator

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Folks,
seeking some thoughts from members regarding whether mounting an LED Light near the Gas Regulator is a concern or not. The Light is a Korr LED Spot light and has an IP rating of IP68. I have found night time hookups could benefit from a bit of extra light. Don't really want to mount high up on the front wall.

My Gut feel is it would be OK. Its LED so pretty low temperature and I would solder all joints, so no Plugs to creates sparks. I would also switch from inside the front storage tunnel, so no chance of a spark from a switch.

What do the learned members think??? Are there exclusion zones around bottles/regulators??

photo.jpg

Last edited:

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
I would be very careful about doing that Jason. It may be ok but that is an IP rating not and EX rating. If you can mount it somewhere about 1 metre away would be better. Ask Webby about the properties of the gas.

Reactions: Holden_man

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
Hi Folks,
seeking some thoughts from members regarding whether mounting an LED Light near the Gas Regulator is a concern or not. The Light is a Korr LED Spot light and has an IP rating of IP68. I have found night time hookups could benefit from a bit of extra light. Don't really want to mount high up on the front wall.

My Gut feel is it would be OK. Its LED so pretty low temperature and I would solder all joints, so no Plugs to creates sparks. I would also switch from inside the front storage tunnel, so no chance of a spark from a switch.

What do the learned members think??? Are there exclusion zones around bottles/regulators??

View attachment 23494
look at kaymar led telescopic work light, fits on the 120 prado spare wheel.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
my thoughts, would be put on the tow vehicle as mentioned, then can double as reverse light, available for use with any other hook ups, or extra light for reverse.
if it was on ( off till u need it but if is was) , on the van be hard to see when backing in to light,
never seen one on a van, but would be cautious near gas, and consider the road spray and damage it may get if not protected.

being on the van consider where you will swat when fitting up, is it going to shine on your back and create a shadow you may have to jump over the draw bar.

thats my two bobs worth, well maybe three !

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
Have a look at the back of as3000 tomorrow. I think it may have some information about distances in there. Even though it relates to 240 vac, electricity no matter what the voltage is still an ignition source. Last thing you want is to have something go wrong and it probably wont, is to have an argument with the insurance. Better to be safe than sorry.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Have a look at the back of as3000 tomorrow. I think it may have some information about distances in there. Even though it relates to 240 vac, electricity no matter what the voltage is still an ignition source. Last thing you want is to have something go wrong and it probably wont, is to have an argument with the insurance. Better to be safe than sorry.
Couldn't agree more @Middo ... :) I will have sticky in the good book tomorrow.

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
That would be fine. You have to be extremely unlucky to almost impossible to get the right gas/air mixture for it to ignite under that light if the regulator/hose were to leak.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I haven't got the latest regs, however you cant go wrong with 1.5m. See what the guys with the latest regs say. It is a bit of a grey area, I work in the natural gas industry and 1 m is acceptable. In saying that I have seen new caravans with split system A/C compressors right next to the bottles!

asis

Dec 27, 2013
Lake Macquarie NSW
Hi holden man, no idea about the gas but I've mounted 2 of the same lights to the back of my bt50 running of my aux battery and switched from the dash. Fairly simple since I have an aluminium tray but shouldn't be too had on the prado.
These are perferct for night time hook ups as you plan and angled slightly to the outsides of the ute are excellent for reversing in general.
Cheers
Adam

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
That would be fine. You have to be extremely unlucky to almost impossible to get the right gas/air mixture for it to ignite under that light if the regulator/hose were to leak.
I agree @Racer

I haven't got the latest regs, however you cant go wrong with 1.5m. See what the guys with the latest regs say. It is a bit of a grey area, I work in the natural gas industry and 1 m is acceptable. In saying that I have seen new caravans with split system A/C compressors right next to the bottles!
Thanks macca, that's right about the AC, I have seen the same. Right beside the bottles and that's 240v. Have a few other thoughts on positions so will explore a little more... I will try and keep the 1m.

Hi holden man, no idea about the gas but I've mounted 2 of the same lights to the back of my bt50 running of my aux battery and switched from the dash. Fairly simple since I have an aluminium tray but shouldn't be too had on the prado.
These are perferct for night time hook ups as you plan and angled slightly to the outsides of the ute are excellent for reversing in general.
Cheers
Adam
Thx Adam, I'm am now thinking of mounting the Korrs on the back of the van now for night time backing, the idea of the light on the Prado makes sense, will have a look wheres the best spot to put one. I am keen though to come up with something that's on the van, occasionally I do stuff at the A frame when the Prado is not backed in. Also nearly went arse up over the frame late one night, been thinking of a very small led and leave it on all night. Save me breaking my neck....
Jas

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Just a thought for ya Holden man, glow in the dark plastic strips, a guy in melbourne makes glow in the dark telephone box tops, air port cones for the country private air strips without power , bait boards for the nite fishos, etc etc.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Just a thought for ya Holden man, glow in the dark plastic strips, a guy in melbourne makes glow in the dark telephone box tops, air port cones for the country private air strips without power , bait boards for the nite fishos, etc etc.
That's a good idea to help save me breaking my neck...will look into that.

G'day Holden Man

Whilst I can see that blowing ones self and neighboring Campers to a million bits isn't a desirable out come, installing lighting in close proximity to a external gas bayonet shouldn't really cause any problems.

Consider your environment. It's outside, gas is heavier than air, therefore goes down to ground level. Even on a dead still night you would be hard pressed to get a air/fuel mixture close enough to a light fixture to cause concern.

Where you could come unstuck, is if you were to install an old incandescent light filament next to it. Low voltage led lighting should be safe enough, if you have concerns, hard solder your joints and cover them with shrink wrap.

IP rating is more geared towards water tight integrity, if you want a bullet proof solution, install an intrinsically safe light fitting. There are plenty of options.

Intrinsic safety (IS) is a protection technique for safe operation of electrical equipment in hazardous areas by limiting the energy available for ignition.

Good luck with your install!

Reactions: Racer

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I recon if the myth busters can't blow up a caravan by dousing inside with petrol and ringing a mobile phone that was left inside that led lights would be ok......I'm sure if you mount your phone next to the reg it will be fine also! :D

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Thanks everyone for their thoughts, it's appreciated. Ok, come up with a compromise, new LED's are ordered, using the Korrs at the back of the van for lighting, and ordered special LED strips for the A Frame area. Lighting will be a little compromised as compared with the Korrs on the regulator bracket, but safety overrides, even though the chance things going wrong are probably remote.
The solution keeps the cables inside the main frame and the lights 800-900mm away from the Gas bottles and regulator. This will be no closer than the breakaway switch, so figure that's reasonable.
Will post pics when installed. The lights are below...

http://www.ledadvantage.com.au/inde...ath=70&zenid=d735f3209039565d941d91a41d5a0113

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190751863765&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AU:1120

Thx folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnsy