17' Series Jasman's Expansion Plans - 2016 Outback 17.56-2

Jasman

Apr 10, 2016
Toowoomba
Hey,
I'm new on here, though I've lurked for years and thought it was time to get involved considering we placed an order for a new Outback 17.56-2 today and we waved goodbye to our trusty 2011 Hawk (sold after 3 days). I don't think we're going to see the new Expanda until July/August so it's going to be a painful wait.

We typically camp off the grid for 5 or 6 days at a time so I was keen to option her up to support this use case. I've been agonising over the option list but this is what I've settled on:

- Extended A-frame
- Jerry can holder on the A-frame
- ESC
- Fusion basic stereo
- Fold down picnic table
- Drifter control panel
- 2 X 150watt solar panels
- Extra battery
- Wyngard antenna
- External shower
- All season privacy screens
- Shelves to robes
- Extra 12v points

Once it arrives I've got a few things planned straight away, like:

- McHitch 3.5t automatic hitch
- RFI 7195 mobile antenna
- Some USB plugs
- Anderson plug
- Fridge fans

I know there will be more, just don't know what they are yet. A few other things I have to work out are:

- My tug is a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel with QuadraLift air suspension, will I need WDH?
- I'm going to mount the mobile antenna to the Wyngaurd, where should I route the cable and how am I going to get that cable through the roof?

If anyone has any comments or suggestion feel free to throw them at me.

Cheers,
Jason.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @Jasman

- I'm going to mount the mobile antenna to the Wyngaurd, where should I route the cable and how am I going to get that cable through the roof?

if you have a look at @dagree build up, he has a fair explanation of what he did
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/dagrees-david-greer-2014-17-56-2ob.4749/

not sure which page and where, but maybe he will chip in shortly with exact locations

yes, I would put in extra 12V plugs, as well as more power points (too many is never enough)

My tug is a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel with QuadraLift air suspension, will I need WDH?

while I am not exactly sure, you may NOT be able to use a WDH with the QuadraLift..............(maybe..........)

and yes there is a fair few people on here who have had, and still have Jheeps, so they may be able to help better than I

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thanks, once it arrives and comes time to drill holes in the roof I reckon I'll need all the moral support I can get!
If the wynguard is fitted same as mine there should be no need to drill any more holes...... Just remove aerial, clean up the 5KG of sikaflex, fit antenna to aerial and feed the antenna cable through existing cable hole (Tight fit but managed it), apply 5KG of sikaflex and bolt aerial back to roof.... Easy as :scared:

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Rockape

Jasman

Apr 10, 2016
Toowoomba
Ok, so went down today and had a look at her in pre-delivery and now I'm starting to get excited.

Check out the photos below, you'll note I've got an extended drawbar with a factory fitted jerry can holder (I haven't seen this on any others). Anyone have any idea what those clips are for on the inside of the jockey wheel?

b8c80f2e42e17eb1b702a1bbb208da66_zpsr1wc83kp.jpg

657e4616269819254b1dcb3bac731a82_zpszwarn5du.jpg

c8354f7ca47673ea48e9c5d139945c8a_zps8adnapaw.jpg

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Anyone have any idea what those clips are for on the inside of the jockey wheel?
I had a clip like that on my old trailer to hold my 7 pin round plug when not being used but I have no idea why you would need them as you have a 12 pin flat plug.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I had a clip like that on my old trailer to hold my 7 pin round plug when not being used but I have no idea why you would need them as you have a 12 pin flat plug.

or two of them

I thought plug, but they looked way too big, even for the Large round 7 pin...........

Reactions: dagree

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
My tug is a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel with QuadraLift air suspension, will I need WDH?
I tow my Jayco Basestation with my MY14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with quadralift and I use a WDH. The air suspension (quadralift) is fantastic and will level the Jeep no matter what load you place on the tow ball and all will look good and level but it will not transfer any load to the front wheels. You need to set up the WDH with the air suspention turned off to get the correct measurments.
Jeep recommend that you use a WDH when towing anything over 2268 kgs no matter what type of suspension you have.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I tow my Jayco Basestation with my MY14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with quadralift and I use a WDH. The air suspension (quadralift) is fantastic and will level the Jeep no matter what load you place on the tow ball and all will look good and level but it will not transfer any load to the front wheels. You need to set up the WDH with the air suspention turned off to get the correct measurments.
Jeep recommend that you use a WDH when towing anything over 2268 kgs no matter what type of suspension you have.

now I know as well, thank you @Base23

Jasman

Apr 10, 2016
Toowoomba

Hey, thanks for the reply. I found the bulletin from back in 2011 that made that recommendation but I had a look in the manual and it is ambiguous to say the least so I sort clarity for insurance purposes etc and went through the process with Jeep and the end advice was it isn't necessary and is not recommended. I'm not going to make a blanket statement and say it's not required but the advice they have provided in my instance is not to use it.

Reactions: bigcol