Electrical How to access the Setec ST35-III

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey All

I am sure this is a simple one for most of you on here.

Am just about to start some 12V work on the van and would like to access the Setec unit so I can identify how many spare load slots are available to install a gas/co detector.

The pic below shows the unit completely sealed in a make shift box, I assume something will just open but would rather ask and get the right answer than damage something by doing it the wrong way.

IMG_2658.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

@dagree (should have sent this one direct to you, as you did this last weekend ;) , thought it might be worth posting in case others need to reference it.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@burnsie inside the fuse cover (Front) is a small screw.... Remove that and pull off the front cover.
4 more screws behind there so take them out and slide the unit out (Hopefully Jayco left enough slack in the cables).....

NOW COMES THE WARNING!!!!!!!!!!
I will only say this once.......... ENSURE the 240V power is disconnected even long before thinking of removing any screws or covers :target:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Another little hint while playing in there @burnsie ...... Due to Jayco just putting dots anywhere on the fuse label pull them out one by one and see what stops working then relabel to suit the correct fuse!!!!!!
Also did that on the weekend but still to make up a label!

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
hey @dagree great thanks, definitely no 240V power connected (otherwise potential :rip:)

prior to posting I did remove the front panel/cover and saw the 4 screws but thought the top part of the make shift box might pop off or something like that.

Will have a look (probably tomorrow night) see whats in there, from the front it appears I have about 3-4 loads free.

I assume with your's the detector is only turned on when the battery switch is activated? so it doesn't draw continuous power (be it a very small draw)

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Spot on @dagree , and @burnsie check all the spade terminals and other connections while your in there as mine needed some work as they were a bit dodgy, poorly crimped.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm getting mellow I think @DRW , actually I think the crimp tools are probably good but better training of the gorillas that use them.
Oh and @burnsie check that the wires that fit into switches like your battery switch are actually screw locked in not jammed in like mine, they look pretty when they come out, just like sparklers on cracker night...

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hey All

As per the above, pulled out the Setec so I could work out what is needed and what a jumbled mess....:eek-53:

thanks again @dagree was a simple as unscrewing the 4 screws and out it popped...

Looks like I have one spare +ve and no -ve loads left, have seen a few posts advising that people "double-up" on the connections for the wiring and it also looks like Jayco have done this as well.

Couple of pics of what it looks like inside for those who haven't seen

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

Will grab the correct size connectors and see if I can tidy this up a bit...

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Forgot to warn you about the tangled spaghetti @burnsie o_O
Depending on what you are powering up... doubling up shouldn't be an issue (Just get the calculator out and add up the amps) ;)