HELP!!! - Hot Water Unit flooded van

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Folks,

Noticed water running out of van door and on investigation I found the the Hot Water Outlet on the suburban unit had popped off and of course water was just pissing out....

Has anyone seen this before??? I cant really work out how this could happen or wether it is supposed to be a screw on or push in fitting - leaning towards pushing but the problem is if pushed back in, if feels like it wants to stay but just pulls out quite easy..

My guess is the copper piece hasnt been brazed onto the unit properly and it's finally just let go..

Any Advice?

image.jpg
image.jpg

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
It is a real common thing to happen. Replace both hot and cold ones. If it under warranty Jayco will do it otherwise buy better fittings and it may be hard getting the broken piece out. There has been many posts on this site about it.

Reactions: Kevin

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks mate - In a weired way I glad its a common thing...

Any idea what the fitting looks like that I need to get to fix it?

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I had the same issue, the valve into the HWS for the cold snapped, there is a fault with the brass fittings.
The inside of the snapped off thread that will be stuck in the HWS has a 10mm hex key inside it so you can remove the broken piece, then get the valve from your dealer and replace and should be ok to go!

Reactions: blacky

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
It is a real common thing to happen. Replace both hot and cold ones. If it under warranty Jayco will do it otherwise buy better fittings and it may be hard getting the broken piece out. There has been many posts on this site about it.
The inside of the broken piece that will be stuck inside the HWS has a 10mm hex shaft inside it, its hard to see but I had the same problem at Christmas and removed the broken piece quite easily, its just hard to see that it has it without a head torch and getting inside the cupboard!!

Reactions: zerosecta

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
The inside of the broken piece that will be stuck inside the HWS has a 10mm hex shaft inside it, its hard to see but I had the same problem at Christmas and removed the broken piece quite easily, its just hard to see that it has it without a head torch and getting inside the cupboard!!

Mate - You're a legend.... Thanks for that bit of info... I have ordered a few replacements and have been worried that when i get home tonight and start at the broken piece still in the HWS with who knows what tools that i was going to break something else...

Now its just going to be a simple job :) :) :)

Reactions: leesy

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I used a 10mm long shank hex, was very tight so I put a small pipe on the hex for leverage then it came out pretty easy, hope your has the same!!
Cheers

Reactions: cruza driver

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Looking at the photos, I noted that none of the John Guest fittings (ie Black elbows etc) have their Red Circlip. The Red, White, Black or Blue pipes may pull out over a period of time if there is no circlip.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
All Good - As suggested by Lessy - The pice that was stuck in the HWS did infact have 10mm allen key shape so managed to get it out and decided since the other one that hadnt broken was of the same design, I removed it to be replaced as well.

The new piece bought is a complete one piece solid unit so confident so will never occur again - The original one are made of two pieces pressed together... What an absolute joke.... They should initiated a recall for that rubbish...

Advice to everyone - Order the parts using the link i posted above and replace them your's before its to late and you flood your van with boiling water...

Here are pics of new vs. old
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: Burnsy

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
seen so many of these break that it's not even funny anymore, we changed our replacements to a tapered thread style instead of the originals which (try!) to seal on the washer, so ppl tighten them up hard and they all break at the same point, the tapered thread ones seal on the thread with a bit of goo and work much better

Reactions: macca

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
All Good - As suggested by Lessy - The pice that was stuck in the HWS did infact have 10mm allen key shape so managed to get it out and decided since the other one that hadnt broken was of the same design, I removed it to be replaced as well.

The new piece bought is a complete one piece solid unit so confident so will never occur again - The original one are made of two pieces pressed together... What an absolute joke.... They should initiated a recall for that rubbish...

Advice to everyone - Order the parts using the link i posted above and replace them your's before its to late and you flood your van with boiling water...

Here are pics of new vs. old View attachment 19690 View attachment 19691 View attachment 19692 View attachment 19693
Glad it worked out Zero! I carry a spare in the kitchen draw now, oh and my wife will never say again "do you need to always carry that big tool bag" you know, the one with the 10mm long shank hex key in it!!!......... :argue:

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
Thanks for the post @zerosecta just ordered 2 online. I really am not that keen on becoming another statistic and the thought of walking up to the van after a day or night out and seeing water leaking out under the door does my head in.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks for the post @zerosecta just ordered 2 online. I really am not that keen on becoming another statistic and the thought of walking up to the van after a day or night out and seeing water leaking out under the door does my head in.

No Worries - Steps for doing this job as follows:

1 - On outside of HWS (Van) open the pressure release valve until no more water\air is flowing out of the overflow pipe just under the van...

2 - Take out the Anode and allow all water to drain out of the tank.

3 - Now you are ready to go back inside and unscrew the fittings

BE WARNED - THEY ARE TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT - And same with the new ones , they do take a bit of elbow grease to go in...

Reactions: cruza driver

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
just order replacement brass fittings, thanks for the heads up, I don't want to come to a flooded van. Now just to work out why my hot water is not as hot as it used to be, still feels hot at tank fittings but comes out luke warm at sink and outside shower. Wife had to boil kettle to make water hot enough to wash up, and wants me to fix before next outing. Barney

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
No Worries - Steps for doing this job as follows:

1 - On outside of HWS (Van) open the pressure release valve until no more water\air is flowing out of the overflow pipe just under the van...

2 - Take out the Anode and allow all water to drain out of the tank.

3 - Now you are ready to go back inside and unscrew the fittings

BE WARNED - THEY ARE TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT - And same with the new ones , they do take a bit of elbow grease to go in...

Thanks again for all the info mate, really much appreciated. Also, for some reason I am under the impression that the original fittings are a bit tight - is that correct?;)

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
just order replacement brass fittings, thanks for the heads up, I don't want to come to a flooded van. Now just to work out why my hot water is not as hot as it used to be, still feels hot at tank fittings but comes out luke warm at sink and outside shower. Wife had to boil kettle to make water hot enough to wash up, and wants me to fix before next outing. Barney

Probably tempering valve issue. If you pull PTR valve and water is hot, then HWS is OK it is then an issue of cold and hot mixing somewhere (normally tempering valve). Can even be as simple as if you have an outdoor shower, both taps may be on but the shower head is off.