16' Series Dust Problems

jimdianajones

Sep 28, 2012
Melbourne
I'm getting sick and tired of removing dust from my 16.49-3 Outback . In the last 3 days have travelled on dirt roads , each night I have been cleaning moping and brushing to remove the dust . Today after just 166 kms of dirt road the van internal is covered with dust . This is after covering all vents with cardboard and tape . Also taped up the door.Leaving on the bed fans for some sort of positive pressure , but still the outback models fails again . So today again after 3.5 hrs we have the van internal sort of clean again . Not to mention the kids compartments full of dust . So a clothes out again and shaken etc , for 2 hrs driving we clean for. 3.5 hrs ???? This happens after bathroom wall internal was replaces. Skirting around roof replaced . Air con leaking internally as there was no holes for moisture to escape . And yesterday the shower door fell off . Have I bought a LEMON ? , I don't mind repairing stuff but over the last 2 years I have done a lot if fixing up
Starting to get tired if it . $40,000 is a lot of money

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 442
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 445
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 529
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 435
Reactions: blacky

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi and welcome to the forum, but Im sure thats not a priority for you right now.

Wow. Thats nothing short of horrendous. My (recently sold) 2009 16.4.1 OB had no real dust issues. In fact I was amazed with how good it was keeping dust out. Although I can't offer any remedies for your Expanda ..... if it gives you some perspective, in my experience its not a wide spread issue, not to your extent anyway especially if you have addressed all the usual and obvious gaps.

All vans, Jaycos some will argue more than other brands, need to be prepped to prior to extended use on off tarmac. That said they will still fall victim to damage, but your dust issue is extraordinary.

Hopefully it may well be a fixable issue that is unique to your van. If you have exhausted all reasonable places for the dust to get in ...... drastic issues call for drastic measures. I have a GoPro camera for surfing and kayaking etc, and they can be monitored live on a smart phone. Just a thought, but something similar even a smart phone I suppose could be moved about in the van and maybe see where dust is coming in.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Wow that is bad. We never had any real issues with our 16:49.3 either. But I always made sure the bed end catches etc were well adjusted. Start by turning all the lights in with it set up tonight and crawl everywhere underneath her. There has to be a serious gap.

Note running a fan inside is not creating positive pressure just moving air around.

Last edited:

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
To create positive pressure inside you need a small vent in the roof to force air in. When we had our pop top Discovery we found that dust came thru the vents in the skirt even though the roof was locked down.
Good luck with finding the gaps.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That is bloody bad, like a window left open. Its not coming in thru the shower or sink drain? I would start with the old trick at night with internal lights on, windows covered and look for light on the outside/underneath also if you have a suspect spot inside put talc powder down then hit the outsde with a hose air or water and should show tell tales.
Is the roof sealing when it's locked down, mine had a small gap at the front which I had to sort out.

Reactions: blacky and achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
That is bloody bad, like a window left open. Its not coming in thru the shower or sink drain? I would start with the old trick at night with internal lights on, windows covered and look for light on the outside/underneath also if you have a suspect spot inside put talc powder down then hit the outsde with a hose air or water and should show tell tales.
Is the roof sealing when it's locked down, mine had a small gap at the front which I had to sort out.

Lol funny you should say leaving a window open. Did that recently with the Starcraft on the pooncarrie to menindee road and still didn't get as much as that photo from the OP.

The talc is a great idea. How'd you go sealing the front roof? The pop top roofs often don't seal at the front due to the curve in the roof where they mate. This Starcraft is worse than the Expanda.

Reactions: Drover and blacky

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I'm getting sick and tired of removing dust from my 16.49-3 Outback . In the last 3 days have travelled on dirt roads , each night I have been cleaning moping and brushing to remove the dust . Today after just 166 kms of dirt road the van internal is covered with dust . This is after covering all vents with cardboard and tape . Also taped up the door.Leaving on the bed fans for some sort of positive pressure , but still the outback models fails again . So today again after 3.5 hrs we have the van internal sort of clean again . Not to mention the kids compartments full of dust . So a clothes out again and shaken etc , for 2 hrs driving we clean for. 3.5 hrs ???? This happens after bathroom wall internal was replaces. Skirting around roof replaced . Air con leaking internally as there was no holes for moisture to escape . And yesterday the shower door fell off . Have I bought a LEMON ? , I don't mind repairing stuff but over the last 2 years I have done a lot if fixing up
Starting to get tired if it . $40,000 is a lot of money
that's terrible I would try a roof mount positive dust vent anyone can fit for u im sure u have looked for gaps but goodluck I know jayco geelong service department have them wouldn't cost much to get it fitted

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I just stuck some of that door seal stuff onto the roof, not the foam stuff ,the type thats a sort of spongy rubber. I was actually getting a couple of bug splats on the inside so I thought I better do something, don't know how long it will last though.
I use the talc idea when looking for leaks inside vehicles easy to see a snail trail.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I just stuck some of that door seal stuff onto the roof, not the foam stuff ,the type thats a sort of spongy rubber. I was actually getting a couple of bug splats on the inside so I thought I better do something, don't know how long it will last though.

Okay worth a go. I thought in the Expanda about putting a deflector there as well. Will look into something.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@achjimmy you reminded me of a cunning plan I had to make a deflector to fit across the front but had forgotten about it. Your shower isn't next to a wheel arch is it?

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Our dust proofing using a positive pressurising system I built, hidden in the fridge vent.

Last edited:

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
That is a heck of a lot dust guys. I notice with mine on the odd occasion the ensuite roof vent would open itself if you dont wind it down tight enough, it could be leaking through there? I'd try taping up the door and vent temporarily as a test and see if this helps, might be the door not closing tight enough against the frame as it looks like it may be coming from that area. Must be a decent hole/gap for it to be venting that much in. I get a little bit of dust around the bottom of the door and wheel arches, but no where near as extreme as yours.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
A positive roof dust hatch makes a big difference but all other vents need to be blocked off to work. Also with our 16.94-3 I used lots of silicone under the van tubes and tubes filling every gap I could find.

As Cracka said there needs to be an aluminium angle put along the back bottom edge of the van as this faces forward and just pumps the dust in.

Also some covers for the bottom A/C holes and also make sure the pop top is adjusted so the seals are nice and tight.

Christian

image0018.jpg

DSCN8874 (Small).JPG

DSCN8671 (Small).JPG

DSCN8672 (Small).JPG

Lawn Hill River (2).jpg

image0017.jpg

Attachments

• Bit hard to see out or rear camera.jpg
    Bit hard to see out or rear camera.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 246