Dust inside Expanda 16.49 2008 Model

iant

Nov 10, 2012
Springwood Qld
We have just had our first trip since buying the van, and traveled over some fairly dusty roads around Bourke, Broken Hill etc. Dust entered the van in the top and bottom rear storage areas and around the door. Fixed the door problem by covering the vent with cardboard. On one occasion I opened the dust hatch in the roof as advised and spent an hour at our next camp, cleaning dust off every surface inside. We love the comfort, tow ability, space, etc. seems a pity that an off road van has so many dust access areas. Can anyone help.??

Spot

Oct 16, 2012
Capalaba, Brisbane
Hi iant, sorry won’t be able to assist with the dust issue haven’t travelled any further than 250km’s since taking delivery of our van in September and possibly will only travel the distance of your first trip in our next decade but would like to welcome you to this forum as discovered by myself recently. If you wish to share any of the adventure I’m sure others would be enjoyed by some details or photos of your trip out west.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day iant and welcome to the forum. You don't say what size van you have but on our 14' we had a lot of dust in the top and bottom cupboards at the rear of the van and it was almost eliminated when the service agent packed the gap at the bottom edge of the rear fiberglass with silastic. It was acting as a scoop sucking the dust from low down and pushing it up the sides around the bed and into the top cupboard.
Gap filled.jpg

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Cheers, Chartrock!
I've been planning to seal that gap not knowing if I really needed to, looks like I really need to!!!!

I'm also having some canvas vent covers that will stick on with velcro made up as discussed in the other threads.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Just a thought but how do you think it would go by reversing the polarity of the shower exhaust fan and opening the vent a crack? Do you reckon it would pressurise the van enough to reduce dust? Perhaps use a VSR?

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
I think that the volume of air inside the van to the size of the fan youll be pushing the limit also if the hatch was open you would create a vaccum + your hatch would go west !!
I think ....

iant

Nov 10, 2012
Springwood Qld
Thanks "Cruza, Chartrock and Others" You have given me the solution and the photo helped a lot. Will let you know the results Cheers.