Discovery Sport

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
The place that did our D3 swore he would not do another. Had to get a guy out to do LED module he said he has no problems with them. So might depend who.
Interesting first guy said module goes on van.
Second said no there is a upgrade or something you do to D3

Kane

Apr 6, 2015
Perth
We actually also had a bit of a mission getting our Touareg wired up for the brake controller - the guys that did it spent way more time on it than they expected. The guys that did it also swore they wouldn't do another Touareg.

Luckily I knew the boss, so didn't get reamed too much on price (still cost around $700 from memory, including supply of redarc controller)

Kane

Apr 6, 2015
Perth
The other thing we are thinking about - is to get the van, and see how it goes with the Touareg. If we find it's a bit of a struggle towing (as it's the base 150TDI model), then we discount anything that isn't a step up from there ((might help us rule out the disco sport at least) At least we are in no urgent hurry (the 7 seats are a nice to have, it's not like we're popping out another kidlet)

Also, given there will be the new Discovery 5 next year sometime, and also a new Q7, perhaps we should wait a bit, and could find ourselves a good runout deal on the old model (whether that be new, or someone with a relatively new one they want to upgrade)

Thanks for all the input - good to get the thought processes going!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
We actually also had a bit of a mission getting our Touareg wired up for the brake controller - the guys that did it spent way more time on it than they expected. The guys that did it also swore they wouldn't do another Touareg.

Luckily I knew the boss, so didn't get reamed too much on price (still cost around $700 from memory, including supply of redarc controller)

bloody hell man..............
not too sure I want to know who did it (so I can avoid being raped..............)

Reactions: dagree

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hi @Kane I am obviously a fan of the Disco, ours is the SDV6SE (7 Seater) 2013 and I have never driven anything that tows and drives as well as this. I had a Navara STX 550 before this that pulled like a steam train but drove like a truck. I have driven and towed with a 2013 V8 Sahara and although an awesome tow vehicle, in my opinion the shear size of the Landcruiser doesn't make up for the little bit of extra power over the Disco. The way the Disco drives whilst not towing is the smoothest ride I have ever experienced and towing (no need for WDH) the airbag suspension stabilises the van in strong wind and takes the bounce out of rough roads. Dont forget it has also been named the Worlds Best 4wd 13 years running.

I spent a lot of time researching and driving what I considered my best three options for myself as a day to day car (driving on the Monash Carpark 3 hours a day), family car and tow vehicle. With in my price range of $75K - $85K it was the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Land Rover Discovery 4, Landcruiser V8 VX. The Landcruiser with similar options to the Disco and Jeep was $92K so it wasnt just the size that put it out of the picture for me. The Jeep drove really well, had plenty of power and had all the bells and whistles, slightly cheaper but no 7 seats and a really small boot space compared to the Disco. When I looked at it by the time I put the fridge in the back I would have struggled to put more than a couple of large bags in there.

So in the end it was the Disco that won me over and I couldn't be more happy with it, the services are only every 25,000ks and day to day driving I'm getting 8.0L/100K average. Towing I had 15.2L/100K with a head wind all the way home from Swan Hill and cruise was set on 104 all the way.

My two bobs worth as a proud Disco owner

Az

FullSizeRender 5.jpg