Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I know its not an Expanda mod but I thought I`d share this with you all

Ok when we were away on our last trip up to Big River on a 4X4 trip I thought the Cruiser was sitting down on one side so a quick check of the air bag pressures and one was flat. Pumped it up then flat again in the morning.

After a little investigating when I got home I was hoping to find a quick fix but instead found a hole in the bag. Luckily I was able to get hold of just one bag to replace it.
These bags have probably done over 70k maybe 80k and almost half of that towing so they have earnt there keep.
I'm glad the Expanda wasn't with me on this trip although it wouldn't have affected the towing to much
The hole
042.jpg
The new and now old
043.jpg
After cleaning up any surface rust from the coil where the bag sits is was time to refit the new bag and coil.
044.jpg
I took extra care making the airbag line was inserted properly and pushed in all the way. Also the airline needs to have a neat squared off cut or they may not seal properly
050-1.jpg

Now its time to get the Expanda out again and test it out!!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
A couple more of the reinstall
Once the airline was refitted care needs to be taken not to damage the airline and make sure there is no kinks where it goes through the coil tower
051.jpg

052-1.jpg
Checking the spacer on the other side before relocating the diff
054-1.jpg
Ready to refit all the diff accessories and pump up and check for leaks
056-1.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Amazing the difference between the old and new airbag. The old one looks well used.
There was a lot of pitting marks in the old bag from dirt roads but I reckon it has held up very well. I think I was just very unlucky to damage this one.

Well the dog has a new chew toy now :playball: a very expensive one :tongue:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I heard a bit of a rumour that Bushman was doing a bit of touring around Victoria and that was going to be in Echuca on the weekend. After getting in touch with his where-abouts the original plan was to camp along the Murray but with all the rain that had fallen in the previous days we didn't look forward to walking around in mud the whole weekend.
Before I had left home Bushman had jumped on the phone and found a CP after the 3rd attempt that had vacancies but more importantly grass and not mud. We arrived Friday arvo at the Riverbend CP to find Bushman already settled in.
Riverbend CP is located 20km east of Echuca with 10km bitumen and 10km gravel rd. There was plenty of low lying water along the roadside which showed the rain we had gladly missed.
Bushman awaiting our arrival
647.jpg
After a quick meet and greet it wasn't long before we were set up and time to relax and chat about what Bushman had been upto in his travels
The CP is nice and grassy and surprisingly not that busy which is how we like it. The van parks in town were jammed in like sardines.
646.jpg
This park also allows well behaved dogs but must be kept on a lead at all times. Phone 1st to check if its ok though, we did and all was good.I got up around 6am and took ours for a walk it was fresh but a good way to start the day
636.jpg
The dog checking out the flood damage from earlier this year.
643.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
On Saturday we headed into town for a look around the old port area and there were alot of people about due to the school holidays and the NSW long weekend.
670.jpg
For those that have never been to Echuca the old port is like steeping back in time to the days gone by
677.jpg
Renovations of the old wharf
700.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The last random pics from our meet up with Bushman
640.jpg
The old and new bridges standing side by side on the way to the CP
699.jpg

698.jpg
Also we found out that a chux can go down the kitchen sink and come out the other end LOL, at least the pipes are clean.
696.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks to Bushman for allowing us to intrude on his holiday, it was good to finally put a face to a name.

All up we covered around 550km with the Expanda on and 40km without.

Reactions: blacky

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hey Cruzza,

Looks like a good spot. We are in Ballarat at the moment and will be heading into Echuca either tomorrow or Saturday. Looks like we have found the next spot to stay at.

Shame it was not that little bit earlier to meet you and Bushman.

Richard

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Nice spot boys, we too are passing through Echuca in a few weeks, and this looks like a great spot.

Thanks for sharing.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
G'day Richard its a nice clean little park. Its about 20k's east out of town and nice and quiet. There are plenty of other parks in the area too including on the Moama side that could be checked out also.

As for the drains there are 3 one for the hand basin,one for the kitchen sink and one for shower, the one for the kitchen has the chux in it :becky:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Great work CD but I wouldn't expect anything less as you know, It was a great few days and good to catch up with you, we stayed in Echuca another 2 nights but relocated closer to town at the Yarraby tourist park which is right on the Murray, great park for families, but yep a little bit more squished in as you would expect.

Another note, those would head to River Bend CP should ensure you have plenty of fresh drinking water with you.

I post up so pic when I get home on the weekend. Currently in Young (NSW)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Nice spot boys, we too are passing through Echuca in a few weeks, and this looks like a great spot.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Moto its a nice place to explore but if your heading down this way leave the rain at home we dont need anymore :evil:

Great work CD but I wouldn't expect anything less as you know, It was a great few days and good to catch up with you, we stayed in Echuca another 2 nights but relocated closer to town at the Yarraby tourist park which is right on the Murray, great park for families, but yep a little bit more quished in as you would expect.

Another note, those would head to River Bend CP should ensure you have plenty of fresh drinking water with you.

I post up so pic when I get home on the weekend. Currently in Young (NSW)
It was good to finally catch up with you Bushman, thanks for reminding me about the water as river water is only avalable where we stayed so top your tanks up if heading there.

Enjoy the rest of your trip :tea:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
back from Mt Samaria well almost.........

This past weekend we decided to head away with the forcast in the low 30's and the forcast was spot on. I thought I'd head to an area that we haven't been to before but always wanted to visit. Mt.Samaria was our destination for the weekend and after doing a bit of research we were on our way.

The 1st camp area looked a bit tight for the Expanda but that was ok we had planned on the 2nd campground with the access rd sign saying ''Dry weather only'' but with the fine weather we proceeded on. After travelling a couple of k's we came across another sign saying ''Dogs Prohibited'' so that was the end of that!! We found this strange as it was a State Park but oh well on to plan ''B''.

A decision was made to head across to Stringybark Creek as we were just on the other side of the Mountain to it. We got back to the bitumen and tried to find our way across and then things got interesting. The bitumen ended and the rd turned to gravel, then through farm land, then up a single width track and up and up. The centre diff lock was then engaged to climb through a little gully all with the Expanda in tow. We came across 5 deers standing in the middle of the track too which was good to see.

We got back on track, well what we thought anyway but we then we entered a pine plantation and with nowhere to turn around we had to keep going and it was still climbing. The track was clay based and rutted so the trick was not to let the Expanda slip into the ruts or get suck in the mud. We were also hopping there wasn't going to be any trees down.

After reaching the top we found somewhere to turn around as this track wasn't really designed for Expanda's. We ended up backtracking the way we came and headed off to Sheepyard flat instead. We covered 480km for the weekend.

When we got there only a few other camps were set up in the main area so our spot was chosen then it was straight into the river to wash off the dust.

Our original destination
073.jpg
The 1st turn around spot of the day
077.jpg
Sheepyard Flat and our campsite for the night
110.jpg
Its nice and quiet after a long weekend as it can get very busy
123.jpg