Create It's Outback 17.56-2

createit

Apr 29, 2014
We have had the van for almost 9 months now and I have researched my mods carefully on here. I have added a truma gas heater which is a great asset for winter camping. This last week I took arrival of my custom designed toolbox which houses the gas bottles on one side and has a slide out on the other which is the new home for the baby q. Had the box built by ds custom toolboxes in campbellfield in Melbourne. Now to move the spare wheel under the back.

, image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
17.52.2???????? Sorry couldn't resist!!!!!!

The black box looks great @createit . Thought about getting ours powder-coated at one stage but was put off after seeing stone-chips on one fitted to a mates camper trailer

createit

Apr 29, 2014
Was $1545. That included the powder coating, weather proof locks, doors at both ends, slider and a gas supported door on the top of the gas bottles. It was 1.9m x .5m x .5m external dimensions and the slider was a 1.1m slide out. Considering it was custom to all my specs I was happy with the price.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Thanks @createit that is great value for money, I didn't have one on the van I just sold, but after seeing yours I'm definitely getting one built for the new van. Thanks
Az

Last edited:

Warren Pavey

Jan 13, 2014
Brisbane
Was $1545. That included the powder coating, weather proof locks, doors at both ends, slider and a gas supported door on the top of the gas bottles. It was 1.9m x .5m x .5m external dimensions and the slider was a 1.1m slide out. Considering it was custom to all my specs I was happy with the price.
Hi there, just wondering where you had this box made and how you reinforced under the gas bottles?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Great box @createit like the black. when I was testing my weber for a slide out like that on our 16:49. there's a lot of smoke, grease and heat pump out the sides under the hood. I was going to at a minuimin place one of those cheap plastic tarps over the bed end to stop grease accumulation over time or make the weber swivel side on. In the end did it different again. The heat wasn't a problem but definetly the grease over time as our home verandah attests to.

createit

Apr 29, 2014
I had the box made from d & s custom toolboxes in campbellfield Melbourne. I have bolted the box down to the old gas bottle plated and then tech screwed in the a-frame to stop any movement at all. Have bought two new gas bottle holders that are bolted together and bolted to the metal plate under the box and tech screwed on other locations. To be certified I had to place a drain in the bottom in case of a gas leak, but all good other than that.

For the webber i have used my outback webber stand to hold the webber in place on the slide if we wish to use it for quick stops. With the box being where it is the webber will slide out and be outside the awning. We can undo two wing nuts and then use the stand and have the webber at the back of the caravan. I already had the bayonet at the back so have had a new one placed at the front. Will see how we go on the next trip in June.

Reactions: AzHaych

Matmaris

Apr 26, 2015
Pakenham
Awesome work on the box, thinking of putting one on our basestation when it arrives in July.

Did you extend draw bar when you ordered your van or used standard if so what is the length of your drawbar if you don't mind me asking

Matmaris

Apr 26, 2015
Pakenham
Thanks for the reply will great help on making a decision if we extend the drawbar because it is already a large van standard