Electrical Cooking The Battery - nearly well done.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Just as a proof of concept I thought I would put together a prototype.

batmon2.jpg

I have included two temperature sensors and a voltage sensor circuit. A second voltage sensor could also be added to monitor a breakaway battery as well if needed
It seems to work well (on the bench ) and is now sending the data via a 2.4ghz wireless link to my home automation server. Now that i have the data there it is a simple matter to setup the server to monitor the data and send me an email if something is not as it should be

I have used an Arduino nano for the controller it has plenty of spare input/output pins available so can easily control a relay etc. As well as sending data to the server It is also able to receive instructions from the server so could be told to break the charge wire from the setec via a relay if a problem was detected.

Here is what it looks like on the server

battmon.jpg

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Yep like I said these sort of tasks are exactly what micro controllers are made for.
Really the sky is the limit as to what you can monitor.
Other things that could be checked and reported/acted on could include smoke detectors, movement sensors, tyre pressure, fridge temp, humidity level

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Ended up building and installing a unit to monitor our 12v house solar installation. it has been running now for a few weeks and is working well. Makes it easy to keep tabs on the system. I am now thinking of installing a smaller unit just to measure Battery Temp and volts in our Colorado. It will keep watch on the aux battery and report in whenever the vehicle is in the garage.

A mans gotta have a hobby right ? :)

The main board

board.jpg

output on the computer

dom.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And the van comes with a fire extinguisher!

Which reminds me...is it accepted practice to upend the fire extinguisher regularly?

Or is that an urban furfy? Or my poor memory as I can't remember where I heard it.

:focus:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
more for piece of mind, as once they are sealed, they should be stable and not completely compact the powder

I do it every 6 months regardless

Reactions: Dobbie

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Dry powder just shake the bugger every 6 mths and if the gauge says good then it is good, have had one for many, many, many, moons......even have a BCF which passes the scale test every 6 mths, I know it's a no ,no but they work well for what they a designed for........if you want to sniff it then your a DH.
Way back in the days of an Aircraft Carrier each month we would roll the big dry powder extinguisher down the flight deck and back to shake it all up, it was a huge unit, would wheel it beside the aircraft when they powered up, if the engine chucked a wobbly we would pull the trigger and kill the engine, probably destroy it actually.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree