Interior Cheap stove top protector

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
image.jpeg

Here is the first mod I did to the new van after spotting it on FB by someone. It is a self adhesive floor tile from Bunnings stuck to some antislip mat. Works a treat and saves the glass scratching. Cost 5 bucks. Doesn't quite cover all the glass but is pretty good.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Scratches is the 1st reason, if badly marked it would indicate lack of care in general when selling. 2nd reason for me is dropping something on it can break glass and 3rd is it provides another working surface when work area is limited.

We bought a large piece of cutting board material and cut it to fit. It just sits on top of the stove.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Looks good! Like that it's stuck to antislip matting. Just curious why you are protecting the glass. For resale value?

Scratches is the 1st reason, if badly marked it would indicate lack of care in general when selling. 2nd reason for me is dropping something on it can break glass and 3rd is it provides another working surface when work area is limited.

We bought a large piece of cutting board material and cut it to fit. It just sits on top of the stove.

@chartrock has answered it perfectly for me. Scratching and the limited bench space were my big factor,that area will cop a hiding.

Reactions: FiveInAVan

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I do envy the vans with the extra laminate top that goes over the stove.. Just seems a better idea.
We did not use our stove in the 17.58 and yet to in the 22.68.. Its where the toast goes :) and coffee is made
We asked to have the laminate top but were told it could not be done. I think they could not work out how much more they would have to cut out the cabinet for the cooktop to allow for the thickness of the laminate,

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxisverymad

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We asked to have the laminate top but were told it could not be done. I think they could not work out how much more they would have to cut out the cabinet for the cooktop to allow for the thickness of the laminate,
@Fabulous had a laminated foam one is his Starcraft looked very good.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We don't use the stove. Only the Weber it is just a bench for us but would remove if cooking. Good point though.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Agree.

We don't use it either but, if we do the modification, will be careful withe the heat shield aspect

rags

The fact that you don't use the stove doesn't change the need for a gas installation still to require compliance.
A bit like saying you don't use the back seat of a car, so it is ok to remove the seat belts.
Not having a dig at you 17triton, but just conveying a message
In a previous life before moving to Brisbane, plumbing and gas regulation was how I could afford to pay for my wife and daughters lifestyle. And as a result I have seen the results of gas use gone wrong.
Your mod is not a big issue, I could only see the worst result of the mod being a cracking or exploding glass lid.
I'm happy with a scratch or 2 on my lid.
Like you we cook outside and only use our stove to boil the kettle.
Enjoy

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Interesting there should be nothing on top of the glass seems some vans like Jayco, Avan and New Age looking round have glass only where others have a benchtop.
Crusader with both lids up as you can see laminate on both sides?
bd5635622563959335519.jpg
Lotus with lid down
bd4876040650292484817.jpg
Interesting New Age do not nor do Avan they have glass only
upload_2016-3-8_11-6-19.png

Reactions: Dobbie

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
image.jpeg
The fact that you don't use the stove doesn't change the need for a gas installation still to require compliance.
A bit like saying you don't use the back seat of a car, so it is ok to remove the seat belts.
Not having a dig at you 17triton, but just conveying a message
In a previous life before moving to Brisbane, plumbing and gas regulation was how I could afford to pay for my wife and daughters lifestyle. And as a result I have seen the results of gas use gone wrong.
Your mod is not a big issue, I could only see the worst result of the mod being a cracking or exploding glass lid.
I'm happy with a scratch or 2 on my lid.
Like you we cook outside and only use our stove to boil the kettle.
Enjoy

As you can see it just lifts off out of the road if cooking is required.

Reactions: davemc and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Told Mrs D about these ideas and said I was going to look into a cover for ours..... Get home tonight and she takes me out to the van and says "I made one for you"

Stove Top Place Mat.jpg

$4.00 for a set of four!!! Might not help with cracking the glass but might help with preventing some scratches?

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Told Mrs D about these ideas and said I was going to look into a cover for ours..... Get home tonight and she takes me out to the van and says "I made one for you"

View attachment 39550

$4.00 for a set of four!!! Might not help with cracking the glass but might help with preventing some scratches?
Is that a place mat? I have a couple of non slip from from K mart to stop scratches