Bike rack ideas for an Expanda 17.56-2OB

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
I will start with probably a silly question - can you get bike racks fitted to a 17.56-2 Expanda? Or is this not possible because of the rear bed? And if it's not possible, what's the next best suggestion please! :)

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
Be very careful with bike racks on the back. I had a bike rack on the front and the back of our expanda. The rear one ended up bending my rear bumper and the bikes dinged our rear door. Our rear bumper was rectangular RHS not the round bumper as well. I ended up getting rid of the rear rack. We just take the kids bikes on the front one. At least I can see them and know I'm not dragging them along the bitumen.

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
FWIW I've just taken my rear bike mount off after almost losing a bike. Based on my experience you would need a heavily reinforced bumper bar (much more than mine was) and a rigid bike rack (ie not the two-piece or folding type) to try and reduce the amount of bouncing.

It is amazing how much they move-watching ours in the rear camera was terrifying, we were lucky to see my daughters bike fall and get caught by its brake cables otherwise it would have eventually fallen off completely. I'd hate to think what would happen to someone behind us...

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I made a new bumper and also a swing out bike rack so you didn't have to remove the bikes each time.

Christian

Pt Lincoln NP.JPG
Shorts (74) (Small).JPG

Swing out bike rack.JPG

Reactions: Flossymk1

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
[QUOTE=

Run a set of hard nylon rollers offset either side of alloy channel 2.6 mtrs in length turn upside down and mount centre of van underneath from bumper to water tank. Into this roll in a piece of rectangle thick walled tube with end stops etc. mount the bike rack to the end just out sticking from bumper, and roll or glide your bike rack out n away from lift up door to 1.3mtrs, this means half the length would still be in the rollers for strength. bit like a beefed up single Arb fridge slide.

note ; rollers can be sourced from an automation sliding gate company ( i had a quick look )

Working on bumper alloy sq tube 120 x120 sq for storage , locking door one end, picked up keyed alike lock today from page bros, finished weight approx 10 kgs, powder coated white, with dust seal and tie down points.

Bike rack next

Watch this space !

Darrin

Sep 5, 2013
Birkdale Qld
Your would have a rectangular rear bumper , I made a stainless bracket that clamps over the bumper and the rack bolts straight to it . It will carry three bikes .I also made a stainless cage for extra water containers that sleeves in the same bracket when I don't take the bikes .Only issue is that you cant see em , Cheers

Reactions: Flossymk1

Barra

Apr 11, 2014
Townsville
@Matty4 where is your spare tyre? Ours would be right where your tool box is. I like the idea, gives you room for tools or other loose storage too.