Bike carrier quandary

Micod

Mar 30, 2011
Hi all, We have recently (March) ordered our 17:56 1. Due for delivery around August!
I am looking at what options I have in relation to carrying bikes. (both kids 2 x BMX and 2 mountain bikes). Our last van had a good solid rear bumper bar that I was able to attach my bike rack to. I also kept the kids bikes on the main bed but of course with the Expanda, I will not have this option. What has anyone else done??? Am I able to attach (weld or bolt) a 4 bike carrier to the front draw bar, which can be removed prior to the bed being erected? Is there room / does it clear gas bottles / will it clear the cars turning circle???
Would appreciate advice on what others have done or what they have seen done, in relation to carrying bikes with the Expanda. Thanks.

Micod

Mar 30, 2011
Hi there. Yes thanks for that, I did see that pic but of course like some other are reluctant to have anything of weight (or bounce when moving) attached to the hardlid. I think I am going to just fabricate somethong on the draw bar that is easily removed.

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
Hi Micod,

We have also ordered a 17.56.1 and have the same issue with the bike rack.

Check out this photo, I think it's probably the way to go?

Hinge7[1].jpg

Micod

Mar 30, 2011
Hi, Now thats an well thought out and executed set up. Was there any strengthing required / done (I wonder) underneath, where the factory bar was mounted to take the extra weight and travel bonce?. Or was this bar just inserted to the factory clamps?

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Liked the picture. Has anyone else actually asked Jayco whether they could swap the expanda bumper with the discovery one as it has a square bumper.

Russell

Sep 13, 2010
Carrying Bikes

Hi All,

Finally the photo's as promised. Rear Bar Expanda 002.jpgRear Bar Expanda 003.jpg

There are two pieces of box tubing going up inside chasis which are then bolted in and extra steel on the pivot corner to add strength. I do like the indea of the jockey wheel.

Plans for the front are under way. Thinking of putting spare wheel under van then putting my generator box there.

Happy camping all
Russell:cool:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Liked the picture. Has anyone else actually asked Jayco whether they could swap the expanda bumper with the discovery one as it has a square bumper.

I asked to get a Discovery bar on my one, but they said no. Main reason was it will impact on the towball weight too much for our particular model:confused:

Love the photos Russell, great DIY answer for a common expanda problem:cool:

Micod

Mar 30, 2011
Great job Russell.. Have you a close up photo of the bar joining the chassis? Also what are the dimensions of the tube used in the photo?
Not having taken delivery yet, it is hard to imagine how the bar inserts into the chassis. Thanks.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi Moto Moto
How do you find your 14.44-4? we pick ours up in a couple of weeks. as for bike racks we have the Fiamma ProC fitted to the rear.

Haven't used it yet but it looks good. Not very impressed with where Jayco mounted the number plate light. Right behind the rack. So even without the bikes on the number plate is obscured. I will have to order a bike rack number plate from the RTA anyway so no big deal really.

A word of warning, i had heaps of QA issues at pickup, mainly because it a new model i think. But i was expecting that.

And yes, we LOVE our 14.44-4!

Sinko

Mar 21, 2011
Victoria
Haven't used it yet but it looks good. Not very impressed with where Jayco mounted the number plate light. Right behind the rack. So even without the bikes on the number plate is obscured. I will have to order a bike rack number plate from the RTA anyway so no big deal really.

A word of warning, i had heaps of QA issues at pickup, mainly because it a new model i think. But i was expecting that.

And yes, we LOVE our 14.44-4!

Hello Moto!
We should pick ours up early Sept (17.56.1). Being a fussy so and so I was wondering what the QA issues were so I can keep an eye out when we get ours??

Congrats by the way on the pick up. Van looks really nice. I reckon I will take a heap of shots when I collect mine too, they will come in handy for when you want to sell the van (whenever that may be) as the photos will be of a nice clean new one!

cheers
Sinko

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hello Moto!
We should pick ours up early Sept (17.56.1). Being a fussy so and so I was wondering what the QA issues were so I can keep an eye out when we get ours??

Congrats by the way on the pick up. Van looks really nice. I reckon I will take a heap of shots when I collect mine too, they will come in handy for when you want to sell the van (whenever that may be) as the photos will be of a nice clean new one!

cheers
Sinko

I'll update my other post soon with a rundown of issues for other buyers to look out for.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/sho...The-Gong/page7

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well i tried to order a bike rack number plate from the RTA and it turns out they don't allow bike rack number plates on Trailers/Caravans etc:crazy:

They baiscally told me i have to move the number plate (and wiring for light) or move the bike rack so the plate is not obstructed. Easier said than done. My dealer is looking into a solution. May have to make a little bracket to mount the number plate on the bumper bar and run a light to it.:doh:

I don't think this is an issue in all state as i have seen bike rack number plates on other caravans, but all the images i can find online are from other states. Looks like a NSW thing..................:mmph:

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Expanda Bike Rack

Micod;1183]Hi, Now thats an well thought out and executed set up. Was there any strengthing required / done (I wonder) underneath, where the factory bar was mounted to take the extra weight and travel bonce?. Or was this bar just inserted to the factory clamps?[/QUOTE]

attachment.jpg

Hey Micod

This bike rack was many hours in the making, as for well thought though thats a under statement. Many beers and hours have been spent here with my mates but now its all paid off after about 1 year of trial and error. If you need any info though let me know and I will try and guide you the best way that I can!

attachment.jpg

There sure is some extra strenghting there - apart from the factory mounts, I still have the factory mounts for the bumper bar there but I have added 4mm square tubing 50mm inside buy 350mm long attached to the standard bumper bar mount for extra support. Take note though some of this extra extention has been grinded of so it matches up with the factory mount.

The mounting that I have used is the same thickness as your rear tow bar that you would have on any 4x4 or Reece Hitch, so therefore is like having two tow bars welded to the chasis to hold the bike rack on the rear of the caravan. These mounts are more than strong enough to hold more that the weight of bike racks thats for sure.

For any one thats thinking of modify their van to match mine, just remember that it will need an engineering certificate to get insurance.

If you choose to attempt to make a bike rack, make sure you first purchase weight distrubition hitch.
I have the ezylift system, for the simple fact that it is its cheaper price, better quality made, better that the Old Ausie Reece hitch which is now made in China and the quality is just not there anymore compared to the Eazylift.

Eazylift.jpg
attachment.jpg
I bought the main frame of the bike rack from Anaconda. I also bought an extra base, one for the back of the 4x4 and one I had to modify to suit the bike rack on the caravan.
Also with the bike rack being removable it also helps when storing because of a length issue were my van is stored.
attachment.jpg
Hinge12 Bike rack with swing arm open.jpg
Good Luck and I hope you have plenty of hours spare.
I take no responsability for any advise that I have given and if you chose to undertake any modifictions you do so at your own risk.

Attachments

• P3270076.JPG
    P3270076.JPG
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 11,244
  • Hinge8.jpg
    Hinge8.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19,696
  • Hinge7.jpg
    Hinge7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13,719
  • Hinge9.JPG
    Hinge9.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8,452

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
A few more shots.
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
This hinge is the final design after 3 that failed. This one opens a full 180'degrees and has not bent yet. I found that when the bikes rack is open, with the weight of the bikes and the kids hanging and bouncing on the bike rack arm - the hinges were failing. Hense the reason I have used 10mm plate and also a jocky wheel to support any unwanted bouncing from the kids.
Also the hinge is offset when pivoting to alow maximum strength and opening further than 180'degrees.
Hinge2[1].jpgHinge4[1].jpgHinge5[1].jpg
Hinge11+Rear+bike+rack+with+bikes[2].jpg

Please see below web link for more detailed photos of the swing out bike rack!
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/album.php?albumid=12

Since these photos I have added some Led lights and have moved the number plate which I will post at a later date. So far I have done about 3000Km's and it all appears safe and correct at this stage.

I take no responsability for any advise that I have given and if you chose to undertake any modifictions you do so at your own risk.

Attachments

• Hinge1.jpg
    Hinge1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6,303

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
HI y'all,

I was looking around the www for bike racks for the Expanda. :sad: In my searches I came across these guys, BERNS BEAKS, they have a lot of great ideas.

Picture_022.jpg

I will probably look down this avenue when time comes, as I'm not that handy with a welder.:violin:

THere were lots of great ideas, from towbay mount, rear bar mount through to 'a' frame mount.